Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arrival

Release date: November 11, 2016
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Denis Villeneuve
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for brief strong language)
Screenwriters: Ted Chiang, Eric Heisserer
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi

Starring: Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, Forest Whitaker, Michael Stuhlbarg

Plot Summary: When mysterious spacecraft touch down across the globe, an elite team - lead by expert linguist Louise Banks (Amy Adams) - are brought together to investigate. As mankind teeters on the verge of global war, Banks and the team race against time for answers – and to find them, she will take a chance that could threaten her life, and quite possibly humanity.

You must be registered for see images attach

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liked this better when it was Close Encounters. Sorry, i meant ID4... But evidently it's a good movie from some reviews

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I liked it. Slow, but interesting. You really have to pay attention to the whole thing to understand it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There was a lot to like about it, but there was way too much saccharine sweet/too convenient/silly about...well, those who've seen it will know.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There was a lot to like about it, but there was way too much saccharine sweet/too convenient/silly about...well, those who've seen it will know.
Yes, exactly. This is overrated by critics IMO, I didn't hate it but there were things that really irked me

And sorry, but she's a jerk. Again, those who have seen will know what I mean.

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I thought Arrival was good. Maybe not great, but definitely good. Amy Adams always does a great job, and the premise of the story was interesting. Definitely a little slow at times, but still kept you engaged, nonetheless.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought Arrival was good. Maybe not great, but definitely good. Amy Adams always does a great job, and the premise of the story was interesting. Definitely a little slow at times, but still kept you engaged, nonetheless.

I pretty much agree. I really wanted to like it but it just left me feeling meh...

So the jist at the end was, Renner was the husband but their divorce later was because she told him that she had known ALL ALONG that the kid was going to die tragically but she still wanted to have it. That's great and all but they totally made him out to be an cornholio in the situation, but dude, she should have told him too before she made her profound choice to have the kid anyways, not just sprung it on him when the kid was 8 or 9,,,,

"oh by the way you know how I can see the future now? Yeah our kid is going to die, and it's going to cause us to get divorced. I didn't tell you all along cuz I wanted to have the kid regardless of how you feel about it. Ok this is the part where you leave... Bye!"

And he is a jerk for just leaving but I find that kindof lame too, he certainly didn't seem like that kind of guy and it was all just to serve the narrative that she was such a hero...

I just thought it was the ultimate dick move on her part and it kindof supported the ideal of some "feminists" view that the father has zero say... I didn't like it. It should have been a decision they made together. She chose not only to bring the kid into the world knowing it would endure this terrible ordeal, but she did it with him, knowing full well what it was going to do to him.. And then her cold comment to the daughter "daddy left because I told him something he wasn't ready to hear." OMG really? "Daddy left because I knew a terrible secret that affects his very soul and I've been keeping it from him your whole life." Sorry, maybe I'm just an chauvinist man, but they could have had the same conversation BEFORE the kid was born.. So yeah, that was my main gripe at the end. They made it all dramatic like she was sooo brave for going through with it all but in my mind she was just an ass. lol

I also thought the big reveal at the end was lame, and I really dont like people that were all; I saw that coming! But honestly I knew very early in the movie he was the husband, I really thought it was obviously implied and I just laughed when they did like the super suspenseful reveal. I didn't hear anyone in the theater GASP with surprise so I dont think I was alone.

Last edited:

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh. It had some good spots, but overall was just blah. Agreed, it's overrated by the "critics."

Not enough highs to make it worth 2hrs.

And after all that...
She's just a damn psychic??

Not to mention some of the alternate alien designs were better.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son and I went to see this to get out of shopping with the ladies. Very good movie. Great acting and not what either of us expected but still good just the same.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I pretty much agree. I really wanted to like it but it just left me feeling meh...

So the jist at the end was, Renner was the husband but their divorce later was because she told him that she had known ALL ALONG that the kid was going to die tragically but she still wanted to have it. That's great and all but they totally made him out to be an ******* in the situation, but dude, she should have told him too before she made her profound choice to have the kid anyways, not just sprung it on him when the kid was 8 or 9,,,,

"oh by the way you know how I can see the future now? Yeah our kid is going to die, and it's going to cause us to get divorced. I didn't tell you all along cuz I wanted to have the kid regardless of how you feel about it. Ok this is the part where you leave... Bye!"

And he is a jerk for just leaving but I find that kindof lame too, he certainly didn't seem like that kind of guy and it was all just to serve the narrative that she was such a hero...

I just thought it was the ultimate dick move on her part and it kindof supported the ideal of some "feminists" view that the father has zero say... I didn't like it. It should have been a decision they made together. She chose not only to bring the kid into the world knowing it would endure this terrible ordeal, but she did it with him, knowing full well what it was going to do to him.. And then her cold comment to the daughter "daddy left because I told him something he wasn't ready to hear." OMG really? "Daddy left because I knew a terrible secret that affects his very soul and I've been keeping it from him your whole life." Sorry, maybe I'm just an chauvinist man, but they could have had the same conversation BEFORE the kid was born.. So yeah, that was my main gripe at the end. They made it all dramatic like she was sooo brave for going through with it all but in my mind she was just an ass. lol

I also thought the big reveal at the end was lame, and I really dont like people that were all; I saw that coming! But honestly I knew very early in the movie he was the husband, I really thought it was obviously implied and I just laughed when they did like the super suspenseful reveal. I didn't hear anyone in the theater GASP with surprise so I dont think I was alone.

I understand your premise, but she had already seen the future. And she now has a completely non-linear concept of time, via understanding their language, so she already knew she wouldnt tell him and that he would leave her, ultimately knowing she would be alone after the fact.

Thats the mind F.

Much in the same is the death of Abbott. They are viewing time completely non-linear, meaning they are existing in the present, past, and future. Abbott knows he is going to die and that the bomb is on their ship.

When you view time as non-linear, there is no beginning or end, rather a circle of moments strung together to develop "life".

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife and I were loaned this by a friend and we really enjoyed it. Lots of familiar elements from sci-fi but different enough to be entertained. Looking forward to a re-watch.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I understand your premise, but she had already seen the future. And she now has a completely non-linear concept of time, via understanding their language, so she already knew she wouldnt tell him and that he would leave her, ultimately knowing she would be alone after the fact.

Thats the mind F.

Much in the same is the death of Abbott. They are viewing time completely non-linear, meaning they are existing in the present, past, and future. Abbott knows he is going to die and that the bomb is on their ship.

When you view time as non-linear, there is no beginning or end, rather a circle of moments strung together to develop "life".
Nice post Mr. Boldin. I'm not really into sci-fi, but I found this one interesting. Slow, but it seemed there was no wasted dialogue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave