Arranging the Cardinals' Priorities

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You guys need to make a list of the players that will be acceptable Cardinal FAs.

Pending free agents. Any of them. Winston, Cason, Rucker, Dansby, whomever.

I'm even fine taking the risk on Dave Zastudil--whom I believe is the most likely extension in the bunch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure re: avatar.

But, explain the time frame further.

Bet starts now. If Keim and Licht get a pending unrestricted free agent signed to an extension between now and March 11--the opening of free agency--you win. You pick out an image for my avatar, and I keep it up until the draft.

If we don't re-sign a pending unrestricted free agent between today and March 11 at 12:00 noon EST, then I win. I'll pick out an image for your avatar, and you keep it up until after the draft.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bet starts now. If Keim and Licht get a pending unrestricted free agent signed to an extension between now and March 11--the opening of free agency--you win. You pick out an image for my avatar, and I keep it up until the draft.

If we don't re-sign a pending unrestricted free agent between today and March 11 at 12:00 noon EST, then I win. I'll pick out an image for your avatar, and you keep it up until after the draft.

Ok...

We're on.

Get ready to install a lovely profile of our GM.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pending free agents. Any of them. Winston, Cason, Rucker, Dansby, whomever.

I'm even fine taking the risk on Dave Zastudil--whom I believe is the most likely extension in the bunch.

In that case you have actually already lost, K9.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/01/01/cardinals-re-up-practice-squad-players/

A futures contract simply locks up the practice squad players — who would be free agents once the league year ends in early March — to contracts for 2014.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Dude--I do legal writing for a living. We already extended Fanika in-season.

kerouac9 said:

Nice try, though.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think they have to at least consider Zack Martin out of Notre Dame. He has started over 50 games at left tackle, but he might not be big enough and have long enough arms to stay at the position. He really is a great offensive lineman though, and he could easily be the best player available at that spot. The first thing everyone close to him mentions is his intelligence, leadership and work ethic. To me, the ideal position for him might be center but he could be an awesome guard as well. Obviously, I know they gave Fanaika a contract extension, they drafted Earl Watford and Colledge played at least decent this past season, but neither is in my opinion valid reasons not to upgrade the position if it can be done.

I also really like Marcus Smith out of Louisville as a rush linebacker. Not only is he big and fast, he has some pass rush moves as well, and he might have been their best defender along with safety Calvin Pryor, and I might add they were in the top five in scoring defense, rushing defense, passing defense and best overall in total defense. I think he might be available in the third round but I could easily see him rise up the boards.

I think Mitch might have forgotten Ed Reynolds out of Stanford as a potential safety. He is both a hard hitter and a ballhawk, and I believe he could cover tight ends really well. This season he played alongside Jordan Richards in the Stanford secondary, and both of them had responsibilities as a free and strong safety. I think that speaks to the strengths of Reynolds that he can be used in a variety of ways.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think they have to at least consider Zack Martin out of Notre Dame. He has started over 50 games at left tackle, but he might not be big enough and have long enough arms to stay at the position. He really is a great offensive lineman though, and he could easily be the best player available at that spot. The first thing everyone close to him mentions is his intelligence, leadership and work ethic. To me, the ideal position for him might be center but he could be an awesome guard as well. Obviously, I know they gave Fanaika a contract extension, they drafted Earl Watford and Colledge played at least decent this past season, but neither is in my opinion valid reasons not to upgrade the position if it can be done.

I also really like Marcus Smith out of Louisville as a rush linebacker. Not only is he big and fast, he has some pass rush moves as well, and he might have been their best defender along with safety Calvin Pryor, and I might add they were in the top five in scoring defense, rushing defense, passing defense and best overall in total defense. I think he might be available in the third round but I could easily see him rise up the boards.

I think Mitch might have forgotten Ed Reynolds out of Stanford as a potential safety. He is both a hard hitter and a ballhawk, and I believe he could cover tight ends really well. This season he played alongside Jordan Richards in the Stanford secondary, and both of them had responsibilities as a free and strong safety. I think that speaks to the strengths of Reynolds that he can be used in a variety of ways.

I personally like David Yankey over Zach Martin, but I hear what you are saying. However, after spending two picks last year on interior linemen and then extending Fanaika, I am pretty sure we are looking for someone who can play outside at tackle. Also, I'm not sure we are in position to draft the Justin Pugh's and Bryan Bulaga's of the draft. Getting players with potential in the first is still key.

My eye is on Marcus Smith as well.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is from 12/31. I don't know if anything has changed. From ROB: http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...dinals-offseason-who-are-the-many-free-agents. That's quite alot there. I'm thinking maybe one of the minimum type guys signs first. Like a Rucker or a Talley. Then again, only 6 starters. I could also see this riding out until Dansby gets figured out. Let alone what does or doesn't happen to Bowles.

The Arizona Cardinals will have a lot of decisions this offseason regarding personnel. They have 16 unrestricted free agents, including six starters. Here is the list, per Mike Jurecki:

Unrestricted free agents (at least four years in the league):
Rashard Mendenhall, RB
Karlos Dansby, LB
Jeff King, TE
Jay Feely, K
Antoine Cason, CB
Andre Roberts, WR
Eric Winston, T
Dave Zastudil, P
Matt Shaughnessy, OLB/DE
Javier Arenas, CB
Yeremiah Bell, S
Frostee Rucker, DL
Mike Gibson, C/G
Kory Sperry, TE
Bryan McCann, CB
Jim Dray, TE

Restricted free agents (three credited years in the league; if tendered by team, Cardinals may match any contract offer):
Jake Ballard, TE
Marcus Benard, OLB
Ronald Talley, DE
Alfonso Smith, RB

Exclusive rights free agents (less than three years in the NFL; if teams offers them tender, these players may not go elsewhere):
Alameda Ta'amu, DT
Everrette Thompson, DE

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is from 12/31. I don't know if anything has changed. From ROB: http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...dinals-offseason-who-are-the-many-free-agents. That's quite alot there. I'm thinking maybe one of the minimum type guys signs first. Like a Rucker or a Talley. Then again, only 6 starters. I could also see this riding out until Dansby gets figured out. Let alone what does or doesn't happen to Bowles.

My feeling on that is that if you're a minimum-salary guy (and I don't think that Rucker's agent is telling him that he is), why are you going to re-up for another season when you don't know what the free agent landscape is?

Talley's a restricted free agent.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Defense:
DL:
Dockett: contract a cause for concern. Could be let go depending on willingness to re-structure. However, this causes some problems and will need to be addressed in draft or FA.
Rucker: Unless his contract demands are too high, I see him returning and filling the same role as this year.
Ta'amu: will be re-signed (ER), question is whether he will be ready for next year, the Cards will bring in FA, draft and/or UDFA to battle for this spot.
Talley: mostly inactive this year, I could see him not getting a tender, and the cardinals finding someone else to replace him.
Campbell and Williams are under contract.

Linebackers:
Benard: played a role on ST and OLB, probable second level tender to retain.
Dansby: Key to the offseason, if not re-signed causes the Cardinals to make some changes. If re-signed, gives Minter another year as a backup.
Shaughnessy: played a significant role this year, depends on offers from other teams as to whether he comes back in 2014.
Acho and Alexander return helps Abraham extend his career, not sure if Abraham insertion into starting lineup helped his production, or defense understanding Bowles scheme helped Abraham.
Brinkley: could be let go, especially if Dansby returns and Washington gets his legal troubles settled. If not, he will be kept as backup and ST.

all for now.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I personally like David Yankey over Zach Martin, but I hear what you are saying. However, after spending two picks last year on interior linemen and then extending Fanaika, I am pretty sure we are looking for someone who can play outside at tackle.

I agree that they probably won't draft a guard but my point for mentioning Martin was that I could see him being a really good center. I also agree that as a pure guard, Yankey is the best player in the draft.

Also, I'm not sure we are in position to draft the Justin Pugh's and Bryan Bulaga's of the draft. Getting players with potential in the first is still key.

That's my biggest issue with drafting Martin. I don't really like not having a plan with a first round pick. Being a really good overall offensive lineman but perhaps without a natural position doesn't strike me as an ideal pick.

What do you think about the three tight ends? To me, Austin Seferian-Jenkins might be the best fit. I was stunned when you posted a graphic showing how many snaps Jim Dray played this season, and I think Seferian-Jenkins is sort of the same type, only way better. However, he seems to be a bit of a headache to his coaches with some laziness and stuff. I really think that any good team has to take chances to become great but in the first round?

Ebron is more of a Vernon Davis-type player but do the team really need that? I mean, they do have Floyd and Fitzgerald, and Housler does actually make a play once in a while.

Amaro could be the wildcard, as I see it. He is really good on the intermediate routes across the middle, and he can block although they rarely used him that way at Texas Tech. His present might allow especially Floyd to go deep more often.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ebron is more of a Vernon Davis-type player but do the team really need that? I mean, they do have Floyd and Fitzgerald, and Housler does actually make a play once in a while.

Vernon Davis has developed into a devestating blocker and is a key part of the 49ers rush offense.