Arizona To Open Preseason Against Steelers In First Game At Cardinals Stadium

Jim O

Reaction score
Arizona To Open Preseason Against Steelers In First Game At Cardinals Stadium

You must be registered for see images

The Arizona Cardinals Football Club will open its inaugural preseason at the new Cardinals Stadium by hosting the defending Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday, August 12, 2006.

“We couldn’t think of a better team to open up against in our new home,” commented Cardinals Vice President and General Counsel Michael Bidwill.

The game will feature an afternoon kickoff which was not possible for previous preseason games in Arizona due to the extreme summer heat.

“With the air conditioning at the new Cardinals Stadium we are able to do a lot of things that we couldn’t do previously,” Bidwill stated.

Cardinals Stadium will not only feature air conditioning and a retractable roof, but will also be the first in the United States to feature a fully retractable grass playing surface.

Both the Cardinals and Steelers have a rich history in the National Football League. The Cardinals are the oldest continuously run professional football franchise and the Steelers are the fifth-oldest.

"The Rooney family and the Bidwill family have enjoyed a great relationship over almost 75 years of NFL football," said Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney. "That is why we're excited that the Steelers are coming to Arizona to play in the first game in the Cardinals beautiful new stadium and help kick off a new chapter of NFL football in the Phoenix area."

The patriarchs of both football families – Charles Bidwill and Art Rooney – are enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Currently both families have third generation leadership with Art Rooney II and Michael Bidwill following in the footsteps of their fathers Dan and Bill.

Because of the man-power shortage during World War II, the teams merged in 1944 to form Card-Pitt. Co-coached by the Cardinals' Phil Handler and the Steelers' Walt Kiesling, a former Cardinal guard, the team split its home games between Comiskey Park and Forbes Field.

Because of the unique history between the two teams, Michael Bidwill wanted the Rooneys and the Steelers to be part of the historic opening of the Cardinals new home in the West Valley.

“I started talking to the Rooneys last season,” added Bidwill. “We are very excited about the historic opportunity in this cutting-edge stadium.”

The preseason game will mark Pittsburgh's first visit to Arizona since 1997 when the Steelers earned a 26-20 overtime victory. Additionally, it will be just their fourth visit to Arizona to play the Cards (1988, '94 and '97). Also, the Steelers faced the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX at Sun Devil Stadium following the 1995 season.

The 2006 preseason opener will mark just the second time since the 1970 merger the Cardinals will meet the Steelers in the preseason (1985 was the other) and Pittsburgh's first-ever preseason visit to Arizona.

The Steelers will return to Arizona during the 2007 season when they play the Cardinals in a regular season game.

Season tickets for the inaugural campaign at Cardinals Stadium are on-sale now. To join the growing list of deposit holders waiting to select seats, call (602) 379-0102 or place a deposit online at www.azcardinals.com.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I will miss the night games, but I guess it'll probably be good for the team to get adjusted.

Note to self: get to game early so I don't have a long walk! :eek:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yay! We get to have our asses handed to us in the first game at the new stadium! Yay!

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Yay! We get to have our asses handed to us in the first game at the new stadium! Yay!

Not necessarily, there is always a chance we will play our starters for the whole game, while their starters miss the plane flight. :thumbup:

The Shark

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't care if we get beat...it's only preseason.

I believe this will be only the 4th time the Steelers have come to town. I believe we are 2-1 against them with 2 of those games going into to Overtime.

The Steelers are a huge national draw and have fans that are willing to travel. Don't know if they'd travel for a preseason game, but they are the World Champions so I'm sure some bandwagoners will show up.

This guarantees us a sellout here. I think this is a bone the NFL threw us for playing a game in Mexico City last year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is great. It will be fun to watch. I'm sure it will sell out. I wonder how much playing time Denny will give our rookie qb Vince Young:D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I'm so torn, luckily its preseason.

Why are you torn? Are you a Steelers fan now that they won a superbowl? :D

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Can you say SELLOUT!!

I went to the Super Bowl and had a chance to witness the stadium filled with 80% Steelers fans there. The new stadium will have red seats, but a heck of a lot of black and yellow on August 12th.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:

Nah....

Yay! We get to win a meaningless preseason game against the Super Bowl champs so we can have a solid week of outrageously optimistic and giddy posts about the upcoming season! Yay!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Can you say SELLOUT!!

I went to the Super Bowl and had a chance to witness the 80% Steelers fans there. The new stadium will have red seats, but a heck of a lot of red and yellow on August 12th.

If teh numbers are correct and they already have 45,000 sold in season tickets and still a long line of new depositers to get to then there shouldnt be that much black/gold unless the Cards fans just start selling their tickets to non fans for some coin.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Can you say SELLOUT!!

I went to the Super Bowl and had a chance to witness the stadium filled with 80% Steelers fans there. The new stadium will have red seats, but a heck of a lot of black and yellow on August 12th.

I don't care about a sell-out until it's a Cardinal based sell-out.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
CardEd said:
I don't care about a sell-out until it's a Cardinal based sell-out.

Yeah, well they could have sold 75,000 seats for that game if they were available. Like it or not, the Steeler bandwagon will buy whatever is left.

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
what a relief, someone at work said we were opening the season against the Steelers. Sort of glad its only preseason. Though the Kool-Aid in my veins felt it would have been great to defeat the Super Bowl champs at our first real game at CARDINALS STADIUM! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave