Arizona State set to enter NIL collective

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Btw, ASU could do a lot better than Bloomquist and Hurley.

Arizona State could bring in a junior college coach better than Bloomquist.
You might be right but do you honestly think they can land someone better than Hurley? I’m skeptical they can. As for Bloomquist, the fact he has never coached on any level and was handed the keys to a blue blood baseball program speaks to the piss poor workings of the athletics department under Ray. I think there might, maybe, possibly, hopefully be a chance Willie can right this thing and get baseball somewhat back to its elite and illustrious past. With each passing week, I fear it is worse though.

Until ASU decides it wants to really go all in on athletics, I fear we will be continuing to see an average to below average performance world of the various sports programs. Some of the Olympic programs should continue to see success but look no further than swim & dive. They win the natty and immediately their coach is plucked by an SEC school

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it all rests on ASU hiring the right AD who has a vision for the future of college sports.

I'm not sure if they can get it done, but I still hope.

They will need great coaches with loyalty to the school like Frank Kush, Bobby Winkles and Ned Wulk.
I’m not entirely certain what you mean by “coaches with loyalty to the school” but does that kind of thing really exist that much any more?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not entirely certain what you mean by “coaches with loyalty to the school” but does that kind of thing really exist that much any more?

I doubt there is anything new under the Sun.

ASU once fielded great programs with loyal coaches and can again if they set their sights higher, but they need to keep up with the times. They need to be competitive in the marketplace.

IMO, Michael Crow needs to go.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be right but do you honestly think they can land someone better than Hurley? I’m skeptical they can. As for Bloomquist, the fact he has never coached on any level and was handed the keys to a blue blood baseball program speaks to the piss poor workings of the athletics department under Ray. I think there might, maybe, possibly, hopefully be a chance Willie can right this thing and get baseball somewhat back to its elite and illustrious past. With each passing week, I fear it is worse though.

Until ASU decides it wants to really go all in on athletics, I fear we will be continuing to see an average to below average performance world of the various sports programs.
Some of the Olympic programs should continue to see success but look no further than swim & dive. They win the natty and immediately their coach is plucked by an SEC school

I agree with the sentence in bold.

Hurley is likely a victim of NIL. The pro model ASU supposedly used to hire Bloomquist looked off the wall from the beginning.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with the sentence in bold.

Hurley is likely a victim of NIL. The pro model ASU supposedly used to hire Bloomquist looked off the wall from the beginning.
If ASU knows anything at this point, it’s that the pro model doesn’t work lol.

Hurley is a victim of his own incompetence which was exacerbated by NIL. Just my opinion.

The big question for Bloomquist comes this off-season. He is safe unless he decides to resign…which is a possibility. Does he restructure his coaching staff or not? If yes, he has a chance depending whom he hires. If he stays with the status quo, yikes

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ASU knows anything at this point, it’s that the pro model doesn’t work lol.

Hurley is a victim of his own incompetence which was exacerbated by NIL. Just my opinion.

The big question for Bloomquist comes this off-season. He is safe unless he decides to resign…which is a possibility. Does he restructure his coaching staff or not? If yes, he has a chance depending whom he hires. If he stays with the status quo, yikes

If only I had a broom. I'd sweep Michael Crow and Willie Bloomquist out the door for sure.

I guess Bobby Hurley gets a small break from me because he can only offer recruits antique playing facilities and pocket change NIL money.