Arizona State Basketball 2022-23

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learn something new every day. ASU guard Frankie Collins, and UCLA guard Tyger Campbell were buddies growing up in Las Vegas and actually lived together for about 6 months. Collins' uncle is Monty Buckley who is a coach in Las Vegas and was Tygers' workout coach at the time. Tyger is older so Frankie was the young guy in the gym watching Buckley workout Tyger. Collins is also friends with UCLA RS freshman guard Will McClendon from Vegas.

Buckley is from Sacramento, played at Cal and is widely credited with being the guy who got Jason Kidd to Cal. He was a year ahead of Kidd and Kidd used to hang out on campus and play pickup ball in the gym and became friends with Buckley. The clean story is Kidd got tired of the recruiting game and he and Buckley walked into the coaches offices one day and said Jason wants to come to Cal. The one most people believe is that then assistant Todd Bozeman got involved, money changed hands, and Kidd committed to Cal.

U

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I was watching the game, this was the turning point of the game last night. I’m not saying that had he not been T’d up ASU would have won but in the blink of an eye it felt over

I agree. ASU is an emotional team, like their coach. They were doing great in the first half, then approaching half time things started going against them and they never regained their mojo. UCLA is way too talented and the situation clearly got in ASU's heads. When this team starts doubting, they are done.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I said the same thing after the first game so I'll say it again. The biggest issue with ASU is shot selection. They're difficult to guard because they take and make bad shots but against a good defense the odds are pretty low you're going to keep hitting those bad shots and that's what happened in the second half. Des Cambridge was one of the chief offenders with repeated fall back jumpers.

The ASU defense forced 19 turnovers against one of the lowest turnover teams in the country, Bailey officially 7 I think it was 9 or 10. But ASU had 16 turnovers and UCLA got 26 points off those turnovers. And that goes back to my first point, because ASU takes so many bad shots, they often don't have good floor balance to missed shots, or turnovers, become runouts for dunks at the other end.

The other thing last night was rebounding, UCLA missed 36 shots, and got 20 offensive rebounds off those misses. That's an insane rebounding rate.

I don't think Hurley is a bad coach but I think he gives his players too much freedom, when the shots are falling he seems like a great guy to play for, when they stop falling not so great.

I don't get the T 2 charges in a row both where the defender seemed to be falling back early but each team got one. Then a pretty clear foul on the fake by Jaime and Hurley went off and got a T. It was a good call I think he was more mad they'd blown the lead.

ASU has talent, I think if they took better shots, they'd win a bunch more games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Desmond Cambridge is warming up as normal after wearing a walking boot.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media