Arizona State Basketball 2021-22

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU basketball is having a Moonlit Madness event at 6 p.m. on Friday.

Check out the uniforms.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope someone plays Sweet Georgia Brown looking at those shorts.

It may me think of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It looks like Hurley's team is Hurleying once again. Every season same as the last.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Both Hurley and Herm have hugely underperformed. Likeable guys... Tremendous experience and history associated with each. But zilch in terms of results. Anderson has to be thinking/planning for the next chapter for both the basketball and football programs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Hurley and Herm have hugely underperformed. Likeable guys... Tremendous experience and history associated with each. But zilch in terms of results. Dr. Crow has to be thinking/planning for the next chapter for the athletic department
FTFY

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the ASU 2021-22 basketball team looks to be bad and not an exciting one either.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU plays Grand Canyon (6-1) at home on December 9th after playing at Oregon (5-3) on December 5th.

I guess we will find out more soon.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I found this posted on another message board, full confession that I am stealing it and posting it here:

1Q - 3 points
2Q - 7 points
3Q - 8 points
4Q - 11 points

That is not a misprint. A Power 5 school, with enrollment near 100K, couldn't find 5 basketball players and a coach to put up more than 3 points in a quarter?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both Hurley and Herm have hugely underperformed. Likeable guys... Tremendous experience and history associated with each. But zilch in terms of results. Anderson has to be thinking/planning for the next chapter for both the basketball and football programs.
I can't imagine what kind of performance you were expecting from the Sun Devils to label Herm's teams as hugely underperforming. Slightly disappointing, yes, hugely underperforming? I don't see it.

They've basically averaged 8 wins per during his 3 full seasons. That might be a huge underperformance for a Frank Kush or John Cooper team but neither coach is walking through that door and we are not the sleeping giant we were once reported to be. Times and the football landscape have changed.

I might fire him for the infractions but anyone expecting much greater from this program is setting themselves up to be hugely disappointed IMO.

As for Hurley, the best I can say about him is he isn't Rob Evans. Personally, I would have kept Sendek but here we are.

This season notwithstanding though, I would have called Hurley's program a little disappointing and held on to the hope that better things are on the horizon but I'm not sure Bobby can survive this year's Sun Devil team.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I can't imagine what kind of performance you were expecting from the Sun Devils to label Herm's teams as hugely underperforming. Slightly disappointing, yes, hugely underperforming? I don't see it.

They've basically averaged 8 wins per during his 3 full seasons. That might be a huge underperformance for a Frank Kush or John Cooper team but neither coach is walking through that door and we are not the sleeping giant we were once reported to be. Times and the football landscape have changed.

I might fire him for the infractions but anyone expecting much greater from this program is setting themselves up to be hugely disappointed IMO.

As for Hurley, the best I can say about him is he isn't Rob Evans. Personally, I would have kept Sendek but here we are.

This season notwithstanding though, I would have called Hurley's program a little disappointing and held on to the hope that better things are on the horizon but I'm not sure Bobby can survive this year's Sun Devil team.
Herm came in with the stated goal of winning the Pac-12 and getting to a Rose Bowl. His hiring of NFL experienced players and coaches furthered the messaging of a massive transformation. We were all asked to "get on the train." For the first time in decades, they began to grab a level of recruits, especially out of the state of CA, that again - furthered the story and highlighted the fact that this year was THE year for the Devils.
Instead, the program went backwards, most visible in the play at QB in Daniels, but also seen by their league-leading/nation-leading penalty rate.
For all the fanfare, Herm has actually accomplished less than Todd Graham. I see no other way of charactering his tenure as a massive disappointment and a huge underperformance...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the fanfare, Herm has actually accomplished less than Todd Graham. I see no other way of charactering his tenure as a massive disappointment and a huge underperformance...

In what way? Graham had some better seasons and some that were worse. In Herm's 3 full seasons, he's gone to 2 bowls and is 1-1 in them and he's never finished the regular season at .500 or below. In Todd's 6 full seasons, he went to 5 bowls, losing 3 of them. And he's finished the regular season at .500 or below twice.

As for raised expectations, Todd gave us those too and brought in several quality classes. He started out his career in Tempe looking like one of our best coaching hires ever and finished up looking like the second coming of Larry Marmie. Maybe Herm's teams never reached Todd's heights, but they haven't fallen as far as his either.

Personally I'd probably have kept Graham (and Sendek). And if it were up to me, Herm would be safe too unless more comes out about the infractions.

I don't believe we have the community support or the financial backing to expect us to compete at the highest level. Firing coaches that perform okay but not great hasn't gotten us anywhere.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or how about Ned Wulk and Frank Kush?

:grabs:
I'm not sure what you're asking here?

Other than perhaps John Cooper, we've never had a basketball or football coach that measured up anywhere close to those two. But they built their programs and established their reputations long before we became a small fish in the big Pac 8 pond.

Frank was forced out because he stood in the way of bringing pro football to the area. Wulk was forced out because of a couple of disappointing post season results.

I was one of the angry fans calling for Ned's head and I was one of the excited fans when I found out we were bringing in the guy that had turned Penn into a regular tourney team. Boy was I wrong.

And since then I've been a little more hesitant to jump on the fire whoever bandwagon. The grass has almost never been greener on the other side for us long suffering ASU fans.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, the ASU 2021-22 basketball team looks to be bad and not an exciting one either.

18-17?!? WTF?!? Makes me curious to watch that in a morbid kinda way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall that game specifically but remember, the four corners offense was still legal back then even though the NCAA kept instituting new rules to try and do away with it.

For years the NCAA refused to add a shot clock but after a big nationally televised game in the early 80's where UNC held the ball for like the last 10 minutes of the game, they finally gave in.

We were in front of the TV to watch the unstoppable Ralph Sampson against Worthy, Perkins and Michael Jordan and they gave us a boring game of keep-away instead of hoops. Very disappointing. As I recall, they put in a shot clock for the next season and added the 3 point line around the same time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like a throwback to the days of no shot clock in college basketball. I wouldn't want to watch it.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In what way? Graham had some better seasons and some that were worse. In Herm's 3 full seasons, he's gone to 2 bowls and is 1-1 in them and he's never finished the regular season at .500 or below. In Todd's 6 full seasons, he went to 5 bowls, losing 3 of them. And he's finished the regular season at .500 or below twice.

As for raised expectations, Todd gave us those too and brought in several quality classes. He started out his career in Tempe looking like one of our best coaching hires ever and finished up looking like the second coming of Larry Marmie. Maybe Herm's teams never reached Todd's heights, but they haven't fallen as far as his either.

Personally I'd probably have kept Graham (and Sendek). And if it were up to me, Herm would be safe too unless more comes out about the infractions.

I don't believe we have the community support or the financial backing to expect us to compete at the highest level. Firing coaches that perform okay but not great hasn't gotten us anywhere.
We’re gonna have to agree to disagree here… Graham played for a PAC-12 Championship, with a far inferior team and coaching. This was supposed to be that year for Herm, and instead he went backwards…
I am not a fan of firing coaches every other year or two. However, I believe the Herm experiment may have run its course.
Looks like he’ll be back next year. So he gets another year to show he can field a quality team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose