Arizona State Basketball 2021-22

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herm came in with the stated goal of winning the Pac-12 and getting to a Rose Bowl. His hiring of NFL experienced players and coaches furthered the messaging of a massive transformation. We were all asked to "get on the train." For the first time in decades, they began to grab a level of recruits, especially out of the state of CA, that again - furthered the story and highlighted the fact that this year was THE year for the Devils.
Instead, the program went backwards, most visible in the play at QB in Daniels, but also seen by their league-leading/nation-leading penalty rate.
For all the fanfare, Herm has actually accomplished less than Todd Graham. I see no other way of charactering his tenure as a massive disappointment and a huge underperformance...

I don't know.

ASU finishes the regular season with an 8-4 record, a boatload of injuries, without three suspended coaches, a subpar year from Jayden Daniels and under NCAA investigation. That's a heavy load to carry.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't recall that game specifically but remember, the four corners offense was still legal back then even though the NCAA kept instituting new rules to try and do away with it.

For years the NCAA refused to add a shot clock but after a big nationally televised game in the early 80's where UNC held the ball for like the last 10 minutes of the game, they finally gave in.

We were in front of the TV to watch the unstoppable Ralph Sampson against Worthy, Perkins and Michael Jordan and they gave us a boring game of keep-away instead of hoops. Very disappointing. As I recall, they put in a shot clock for the next season and added the 3 point line around the same time.
I hadn’t remembered that the shot clock wasn’t yet installed in 1981.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beats Oregon in overtime 69-67 in Eugene.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ducks losing their football coach to Miami too. Not a good weekend for the quack attack.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No surprise, but the PAC-12 is terrible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU wins at Creighton 58-57.

Close game. WHEW.

Three straight wins for Sun Devils.

Good win thanks to a solid 2nd half but horrible clock management at the end. They have to be fouled 3 times before they go to the line yet all they could do is waste 1.5 seconds?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good win thanks to a solid 2nd half but horrible clock management at the end. They have to be fouled 3 times before they go to the line yet all they could do is waste 1.5 seconds?

Some quick fouls by Creighton and they had them to give.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Devils are a horrendous shooting team. I don't know the actual stat, but I'd guess the overwhelming % of their points came from drives to the basket.
If they can ever start shooting with any consistency, they could be an interesting team to watch...

DesertDevil

Reaction score
The Devils are a horrendous shooting team. I don't know the actual stat, but I'd guess the overwhelming % of their points came from drives to the basket.
If they can ever start shooting with any consistency, they could be an interesting team to watch..
This ASU team is going to win with defense unlike any I've seen under Hurley in recent years. They have a bunch of scrappy guys on the squad who can defend and play team ball, but no one with the offensive prowess (although Horne seems he can light it up) we're used to seeing with past squads. They're gonna be interesting to watch because they'll be able to keep games close like they've done with the past three.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I got more than a passing glance at center Enoch Boakye. I saw this big guy on the court and wondered who he was.

He should really help the Sun Devils down the road if they can develop him. I like what I see. He is not a token big man like I envisioned.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is the first time I got more than a passing glance at center Enoch Boakye. I saw this big guy on the court and wondered who he was.

He should really help the Sun Devils down the road if they can develop him. I like what I see. He is not a token big man like I envisioned.

He was a 4- or 5-star recruit, depending on the service, and so highly touted. I hope he pans out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a 4- or 5-star recruit, depending on the service, and so highly touted. I hope he pans out.

Physically Enoch Boakye has the tools. He made an impression so I think there is the chance.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ASU basketball basketball program has been hit hard by COVID issues.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tweet from Marcus Bagley. He hopes to be on the court soon and asks for patience.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score

Lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add some context to the one game suspension of Bobby Hurley.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
To add some context to the one game suspension of Bobby Hurley.

ASU is horrible... but, PAC-12 basketball refs are beyond horrible. Truly the worst of the worst. Embarrassing all the way around, for ASU and the PAC-12.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU is horrible... but, PAC-12 basketball refs are beyond horrible. Truly the worst of the worst. Embarrassing all the way around, for ASU and the PAC-12.

It sure sounds this way although I haven't watched a lot of PAC-12 games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devils upset #3 UCLA in triple overtime game!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave