Arizona State Basketball 2020-21

AZCB34

Reaction score
Is Hurley really a coach who can take any program to the next level? I have my doubts. This is his 6th season in Tempe and we haven't really seen the expected success.

I think most of its expect he is the heir assistant at Duke but would be really be equipped to have that program confine at the same heights it has been at? Again, I have my doubts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is Hurley really a coach who can take any program to the next level? I have my doubts. This is his 6th season in Tempe and we haven't really seen the expected success.

I think most of its expect he is the heir assistant at Duke but would be really be equipped to have that program confine at the same heights it has been at? Again, I have my doubts.
I e seen little of Hurley to convince me that his teams will ever be more than we’ve seen. 6 years is enough time to establish a PAC-12 program.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Hurley is good or not, guards love playing for him. That last game was bad, team basically quit but honestly it's so hard to blame kids this year with Covid. They've had injuries, covid, family deaths etc. It's just so hard to judge this year.

I said it on the other board I'm convinced Oregon used Covid to avoid playing tough games when Richardson was out hurt, and then the Pac 12 gave them a pass and they wound up winning the conference. So many other teams had issues, USC had guys hurt or Covid, UCLA lost Smith to the ACL and then the one that just crushed us losing Hill to personal reasons. Twice we had a guy roll an ankle the day before a big game(both against USC). Colorado had issues too and Stanford was decimated by Covid and injuries.

So I don't know if Hurley is good or not but this year is a bad year to judge any coach IMO.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if Hurley is good or not, guards love playing for him. That last game was bad, team basically quit but honestly it's so hard to blame kids this year with Covid. They've had injuries, covid, family deaths etc. It's just so hard to judge this year.

I said it on the other board I'm convinced Oregon used Covid to avoid playing tough games when Richardson was out hurt, and then the Pac 12 gave them a pass and they wound up winning the conference. So many other teams had issues, USC had guys hurt or Covid, UCLA lost Smith to the ACL and then the one that just crushed us losing Hill to personal reasons. Twice we had a guy roll an ankle the day before a big game(both against USC). Colorado had issues too and Stanford was decimated by Covid and injuries.

So I don't know if Hurley is good or not but this year is a bad year to judge any coach IMO.

I agree with your take. It's a bad time to be making head coach changes.

AZCB34

Reaction score

I don't know Russ. Every team was playing with that stuff so it was, at least theoretically, a level playing field. I am not sure you can ever excuse a team quitting and any team that does is a reflection of their coach.

I am actually not advocating firing Hurley. Just questioning if he is a good enough coach to really take any team to the next level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know Russ. Every team was playing with that stuff so it was, at least theoretically, a level playing field. I am not sure you can ever excuse a team quitting and any team that does is a reflection of their coach.

I am actually not advocating firing Hurley. Just questioning if he is a good enough coach to really take any team to the next level.

I don't know either it's just this is such an unusual year. I'm amazed Hurley doesn't get more T's he's so nuts on the sideline. But then I'm amazed Cronin doesn't too. **** can scream at his players and they seem to love him, Hurley seems to get that love too which usually means they trust the coach and bought in. But that last game was brutal.

I think Altman is probably the best coach in the conference but it's tough, we made this observation when they played UCLA the oldest player on UCLA's roster is Cody Riley, he's just over 23 we make old man jokes about him on UCLA boards. Oregon has THREE starters older than Riley and the other 2 are both 21 almost 22. They're just a much more experienced team due to all the transfers he gets. He's very good at mixing defenses and getting guys to play together, great coach but it's a different world at Oregon.

USC this year was much better than picked but again full of transfers and how often can you hire the dad to get a lottery pick and another talented big that's not a sustainable recruiting tactic.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bigger surprise is Jaelen House leaving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's the best ASU can get.

TJ

Bobby Sarvs
Reaction score
I agree. Now I am not sure ASU can get a special coach so Hurley may be the best man for this program but I really don't think he is a difference maker.

Worst-kept secret amongst the college coaches that he wants out of ASU.

AZCB34

Reaction score
Worst-kept secret amongst the college coaches that he wants out of ASU.

ASU was always a rest stop on the way to Duke. The fact that he doesn't want to be here translates to his players and it shows in how they play.

ASU needs a coach who wants ASU and really doesn't aspire to anything more except too make ASU the best they can be. Basically think Mark Few. That guy has stayed in Spokane and built a beast of a program