Arizona State Basketball 2020-21

Discussion in 'Arizona State' started by Mainstreet, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

ASU will be missing four players when they host UCLA tonight.

2. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I guess UCLA will win this one right @Russ Smith ?

3. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

Oh my God I can't listen to another second of Bill Walton. It's just babbling stupidity. I'm going to go flip on the radio.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Russ Smith likes this.
  4. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Not a bad showing with a short-handed squad.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  5. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I don't think anyone could have expected more. I was expecting a blowout.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  6. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

ASU missing 4 guys UCLA missing Chris Smith I expected an easy win. I will say this, ASU played very hard but that first half the officiating was insane, the reason that half was so unwatchable was in large part the refs seemed to decide when it was 14-6 UCLA that this was a one sided game and we're not going to call anything on ASU. The next 6 fouls were all on UCLA, while ASU was trapping and reaching all over the court. On offense Christopher kept doing the same move over and over drive into the defenders chest knock him back, euro step, often twice, they didn't call him for it until the 2nd half. There was a sequence in the first half where Verge walked and missed, Christopher walked and missed a layup and then Verge walked again and missed and ASU got the putback. You could hear the UCLA bench screaming call the walk call the walk.

My comments on the UCLA board at the half were Mick is going to read UCLA the riot act for not playing hard, and then spend the rest of the half riding the refs. ASU played very hard but due to being short handed they took a ton of bad shots which is why UCLA got the early lead. Neither team shot well and Tyger played his worst game as a bruin, couldn't make a shot, turnovers, and couldn't guard Verge.

On the T by Hurley he was screaming what did I do, what did I say, we were all laughing on the UCLA boards. If you watched the game 3 times in the first half a ref either ran into or had to stop to avoid running into Hurley, he was on the court the entire game. That they allowed him to go that long before giving him a T for yelling at them was great restraint IMO. Mick is a yeller too but more at his own team. The irony was IMO after the T, the refs had just had enough and the 2nd half seemed like UCLA got the benefit of the calls, ASU not only got called for walks, reaches and carries, they got called on some I thought were just bad calls, it was like the refs in the Rams game being mad at D Hop.

Tough game to watch, without Smith UCLA just doesn't have enough offense unless Juzang and Kyman start to make shots. you can't turn the ball over that much. I love Christopher but this game highlighted his NBA issues, he can't shoot, he's got to work on that aspect of his game. He is likely still a lottery pick but man wide open 3 from the corner is 3-4 feet long, in todays NBA you can't rely on bullying your way to the basket, he's very much like Tyreke Evans right now I don't think that works anymore in the NBA you have to be able to make jumpshots.

I love Verge he is so tough. I liked Ostin had no idea he had that kind of hops. Feel bad for Remy hope he comes back and beats USC tough kid.

7. Mainstreet

Solid effort by Sun Devils after playing short handed and not playing for a month.

Absolute Zero and Russ Smith like this.
  8. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Playing tough against Wildcats right now

9. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

Horrible last possession for ASU

Mainstreet and jf-08 like this.
  10. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Staff Member

Ugh.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. AZCB34

AZCB34 Registered User

I think this has been a strange season but this team is not what I expect from a Hurley coached team. No real chemistry. Crappy shot selection. Mediocre rebounding (effort thing).

12. Mainstreet

Sun Devil basketball has to move beyond guard university.

Hurley set fan expectations high for this team which has lead to a lot of disappointment.

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

AS a fan of a team leading the conference I still wish they'd cancel the season. It's just nuts to be trying to get a season in with everything going on right now. no winner to the season keep the stats. Sucks for the players but they're all allowed back next year anyways

The Covid stuff is just not a level field and while I am sure teams taking it more seriously than others are missing less players, some of it is just bad luck.

And we have a nutty situation in Oregon where I think virtually everyone is now wondering is Altman intentionally cancelling games because he's waiting for Will Richardson to get healthy and doesn't want to lose any more games playing without Richardson. It's gotten to the point where even people in the business are speculating about that online.

I love hoops but college just can't do this as well as the NBA can and the NBA is cancelling games often too.

14. cwamjn

cwamjn Registered

Agreed. They should have cancelled football. Cancel this. Hopefully after summer we can try and have nice things.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

15. Mainstreet

It was not a good ending for the regular season of ASU basketball after a 98-59 loss to Utah in Salt Lake City.

Sun Devils finished the regular season 10-13.

By Christopher Boan, Arizona Sports:

He also expressed disappointment at the way the team performed, given the fact that current associate head coach, Rashon Burno, gave a passionate speech to players in announcing his decision to accept the head coaching job at Northern Illinois University.

“There were very few guys that competed the way I think coach Burno deserved the team to compete today,” Hurley said. “And that was unfortunate, because coach Burno addressed the team last night and it was a very emotional moment.

“And for the team to be as flat as we played, it was a failure to not honor him in the last regular season game the way we needed to.”

https://arizonasports.com/story/256...own-out-on-the-road-by-utah-in-pac-12-finale/