Arizona Diamondbacks @ Colorado Rockies Sep 10 - Sep 13, 2018

Discussion in 'Arizona Diamondbacks' started by Ronin, Sep 10, 2018.

1. sdscard4

sdscard4 Registered

Don't matter whos pitching. Can't hit. I miss good baseball..not this analytics tunnel crap

BC867 likes this.
  2. DWKB

DWKB Registered

Another wacky comment.

3. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

That's it? "Wacky" that a fan states that he misses good baseball?

Inflicting Ted Williams' "lift" approach on a team of line drive hitters is not good baseball. He was the greatest natural hitter in the history of the game. No other player fits that description. That is why Williams failed as a Manager. He expected every player to be Ted Williams.

I believe that if a team follows the theory to aim for line drives every at-bat, but selectively go for a fly ball (if the situation calls for it), we'd see a helluva lot less strikeouts and popups. It is so simple. A line drive leaves much less time for the fielder to get to than a fly ball.

And I cannot understand the philosophy of stubbornly hitting into the exaggerated shifts of today. If you are not hitting the way you like (which describes most D-backs games), take what they give you. "Hit it where there ain't". Single and double them to death. It would be a lot better than the D-backs usually not being able to compete after the 4th inning.

4. TJ

TJ The Chosen Sun

Officially turned off D-Backs in-game notifications on my phone. Can't take this debacle anymore.

5. BC867

Holy cow! I see that the Rockies are leading 10-3 after 7 innings.

Runs given up by D-backs pitchers ...

Koch (4 in 3 innings); Bracho (1 in 1); Sherfy (0 in 2 w/ 4 K's); Diekman (3 in 0); Boxberger (1 in one-third); and Chafin (1 in two-thirds).

When I've hoped for consistency, this isn't the kind of consistency I had in mind.

Now I have to convince myself to stop posting any more like this for the rest of the season. It is what it is! 'No longer a surprise.

Roger, out. :confused:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM
  6. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

It's been a wild ride, and they've always come back from bad streaks before, but not at the end of the race. Thanks for the occasional thrills this year guys.

7. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I know that this team was undermanned and our backend pitchers really let us down. But man does this stupendous el foldo to end the season suck.

8. BC867

The stretch run should be the culmination of the preparation all season long. In September, the time for experimenting is over. But the Manager has said more than once recently that he will try new things. He is taking shots in the dark. Then giving up on them after a couple of games, such as batting Souza leadoff, which produced good results.

What is happening is the logical outcome of such folly. It illustrates the downside of learning on the job. Or, as we've seen, not learning on the job. We've seen it from his coaching staff as well.

9. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

No offense but you rail about this with the suns too. Where do you think sports professionals are supposed to learn? They learn on the job. Each time they take a step up a rung on an organizational ladder they have to learn new skills. Unless you just want to always hire retreads. Experience has value, but it’s not the sole answer to success. In fact I’d argue retreads typically have less upside and their failure rate is likely somewhat similar to young or new professionals.

10. 1Sun

1Sun Rookie

The key is whether or not there is steady progress. In other words, is he, in fact, learning on the job? Unfortunately, Torey Lovullo is trending in the wrong direction and showing no signs of learning. Some professionals are just better suited to certain roles. Torey Lovullo is a great bench coach. In my opinion, he has demonstrated he just does not have the ability to develop the skill set to be a good manager. His interpersonal skills (which befit a bench coach) are excellent. His strategic and planning skills (necessary for a good manager) are severely lacking.

BC867 likes this.
  11. sdscard4

sdscard4 Registered

If we were told at the start of the year you will be 5 out the division and 4 out the wild with 15 to go I think we all would take it. Lets ride this out.

12. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

I don't get what happened to Archie's curveball. It was a monster pitch for him and now it seems like he doesn't even throw it anymore. I'm sure he had it get smacked some and lost confidence in it but his fastball is getting flat out destroyed of late. He throws a great heater but if hitters know it's what he's throwing 90% of the time, it ain't hard to hit.

I don't think Torey should be on the hot seat though and I think Hazen has shown a real talent for swinging value trades. I hope they stick around and survive what is likely to be a lean couple seasons. Hazen's real task now if rebuilding the farm system. He inherited a wasteland and our team being highly competitive the last 2 seasons further depleted it.

I think we should have either sold or gone balls deep though. I'm not a fan of this half measure we took. This was clearly a make or break season for us with Corbin and Pollock hitting free agency. If they thought this was a potential contender they should have been going all out for guys like DeGrom and Machado. Selling would have been really difficult, the fans would, rightfully, have felt betrayed about the dismantling of a team in playoff position, but I think the hemorrhaging of talent we're about to experience is going to be just as painful for the fan base.

I do like Hazen though. It's too early to tell if he has an eye for the draft, but I like emphasis on defense and I think he's shown a good eye for bargain talent. If our defense had been even average this season we'd 10+ games out right now.

13. BC867

Versus Ochie's generalization about managers, your analysis is specific about Torey. I appreciate that.

His performance during this stretch run of still experimenting has personified the Peter Principle. In a hierarchy, every employee tends to reach his level of incompetence. You keep promoting a person until he reaches the level at which he does not excel. The only thing to do then is allow him to make a fresh start back at his old level somewhere else.

And, yes, Ouchie, the Suns have done the same thing over the years. I guess if, in fact, Phoenix still thinks of itself as a "small market", it is inevitable. Where hiring unproven people into key roles saves money.

14. BC867

A cracked fingernail. Hopefully by next season, it will no longer be an issue. And he can keep making SanTan Ford commercials. :)

15. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

I think Archie may be tipping his pitches, plus he hasn't been locating them particularly well either.