Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Glad Trier and PJC are leaving even though we’ll be miserable next year. They should be embarrassed watching what Kentucky’s guards did to Buffalo today.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Glad Trier and PJC are leaving even though we’ll be miserable next year. They should be embarrassed watching what Kentucky’s guards did to Buffalo today.
PJC being a multi-year starter at pg with so good alternative is an indictment on the decisionmaking od the coaching staff. UofA has officially ceased being point guard U under millers leadership.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
PJC being a multi-year starter at pg with so good alternative is an indictment on the decisionmaking od the coaching staff. UofA has officially ceased being point guard U under millers leadership.

Any above average PG and Arizona makes at least one F4 the last two years. Shoot just give Nic Wise and Mustafa Shakur for Christ’s sake.

And give me Kyle Fogg or Trier.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
UA is going to have to hit the JUCO ranks hard to fill out their roster next year with only 6 scholarship players coming back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to assume that was either an evaluation thing, or a who they could get given how they were recruiting situation.

The 3 best PG's during that PJC era to come out of the West Coast IMO were(by year) McLaughlin who went to SC, Holiday who went to UCLA, and then Lonzo Ball who went to UCLA. Holiday turned into a PG wasn't a natural one. Obviously all 3 of them were much better players than PJC.

During that time the PG's that Miller targeted and got were Tyler Dorsey, not a PG and he bailed as soon as he realized they weren't going to play him at PG, and Justin Simon, not a PG who played 1 year and is now at St Johns where he's a forward who gets lots of assists and still can't shoot.

It's not clear to me Miller had a chance at any of those kids though, McLaughlin was locked in when USC hired Bland and Hart as assistants. Holiday was going to UCLA as soon as they fired Howland, and Lonzo was always going to UCLA because his dad wanted him local.

I do agree though a better PG and you'd have been further, look at how much impact McConnell made.

I would imagine this all explains the situation with a certain PG from New Jersey.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I have to assume that was either an evaluation thing, or a who they could get given how they were recruiting situation.

The 3 best PG's during that PJC era to come out of the West Coast IMO were(by year) McLaughlin who went to SC, Holiday who went to UCLA, and then Lonzo Ball who went to UCLA. Holiday turned into a PG wasn't a natural one. Obviously all 3 of them were much better players than PJC.

During that time the PG's that Miller targeted and got were Tyler Dorsey, not a PG and he bailed as soon as he realized they weren't going to play him at PG, and Justin Simon, not a PG who played 1 year and is now at St Johns where he's a forward who gets lots of assists and still can't shoot.

It's not clear to me Miller had a chance at any of those kids though, McLaughlin was locked in when USC hired Bland and Hart as assistants. Holiday was going to UCLA as soon as they fired Howland, and Lonzo was always going to UCLA because his dad wanted him local.

I do agree though a better PG and you'd have been further, look at how much impact McConnell made.

I would imagine this all explains the situation with a certain PG from New Jersey.

Well we could’ve used Simon. Dylan Smith is terrible. Also Ray Smith Jr was a massive loss given his length and defense. He’s a Miller-player.

PJC was ranked 20 spots ahead of Tra Holder. I’m not really sure why considering he was short and didn’t have quick feet. How many 5’9” PG’s aren’t explosive? That’s an embarrassing one for the evaluators.

Arizona was also in the final-3 for Fultz and Duval. We know Fultz might’ve had some incentive to go to Washington but he wasn’t really an alpha. Who knows if he would’ve turned it on in the tourney.

Everyone loves TJ but he wasn’t breaking anyone down off the dribble. Williams would be the best PG and him recommitting would the 2nd biggest recruit of the Miller era after D-Will.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we could’ve used Simon. Dylan Smith is terrible. Also Ray Smith Jr was a massive loss given his length and defense. He’s a Miller-player.

PJC was ranked 20 spots ahead of Tra Holder. I’m not really sure why considering he was short and didn’t have quick feet. How many 5’9” PG’s aren’t explosive? That’s an embarrassing one for the evaluators.

Arizona was also in the final-3 for Fultz and Duval. We know Fultz might’ve had some incentive to go to Washington but he wasn’t really an alpha. Who knows if he would’ve turned it on in the tourney.

Everyone loves TJ but he wasn’t breaking anyone down off the dribble. Williams would be the best PG and him recommitting would the 2nd biggest recruit of the Miller era after D-Will.

Simon I never got, everyone on BRO was blasting ALford for not recruiting him early enough and I kept asking have you guys actually seen him or are you going off Scout? Josh Gershon loved him but people didn't pay attention to what Josh said, he was pretty open he might not be a college PG, he can play it in HS and AAU,but in college he might have to play another position where his passing and athleticism is valuable. I think the issue is like Dorsey, he thought he was a PG, got recruited as a PG, and when Miller correctly tried to get him to accept you are NOT a PG, he bolted for St Johns.

Knowing Fultz got paid by an agent doesn't totally convince me that's why he didn't pick Arizona, he was in the same class as Alkins, Ferguson, Simmons etc it's pretty obvious that wasn't going to be an issue if he went to Arizona too. I suspect with him in the end he chose the path of least resistance, pick Romar, be the man with no expectations of the team winning anything as opposed to play on a much better team with better coaching and possibly win something. I said that a bunch on the Suns board as to why I wasn't that high on him, he just doesn't seem to be competitive.

I suppose another kid who in hindsight was better than PJC was Justin Bibbins. To be fair to PJC if you've seen the documentary at All Costs, his career path changed pretty dramatically with all the ankle issues he had in HS. He was too small to ever be a star, but he was much more athletic before all those ankle problems. Holder in hindsight would have been much better I agree.

It was largely a timing issue there weren't that many good PG' s on teh West Coast in those years and the ones there were went elsewhere.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Was out of town but man, that was a debacle. I don't know how it all ends with Miller but he has to figure out the following or he's done:

1. How to recruit a Pac-12 level point guard. I've been saying PJC was a WAC level point guard for years and watching Buffalo push him around was just embarrasing.

2. How to go back to recruiting versatile and lengthy guys who defend. That sort of player once compromised most of his rosters and this roster had none.

The Calipari-K model ain't working. Miller's way too much of a micro-manager and if he's going to play a slow-ish tempo you need stops.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Was out of town but man, that was a debacle. I don't know how it all ends with Miller but he has to figure out the following or he's done:

1. How to recruit a Pac-12 level point guard. I've been saying PJC was a WAC level point guard for years and watching Buffalo push him around was just embarrasing.

2. How to go back to recruiting versatile and lengthy guys who defend. That sort of player once compromised most of his rosters and this roster had none.

The Calipari-K model ain't working. Miller's way too much of a micro-manager and if he's going to play a slow-ish tempo you need stops.
So cmon man, at least NOW can you admit this season is a bust?