Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Bol Bol has awful grades and might not even qualify. Bagley's grades are fine, but he might just want to get paid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep exactly what we're being told on UCLA boards, Bol's grades are bad, even Mater Dei probably can't fix it. And Bagley's dad wants him to get paid right away, that's why they didn't reclassify they just decided why do all that extra work when he can coast one more year in HS and then go play in China or something.

Too bad the kid is a freaking stud, he's a 3 inch taller without a bum knee Ed O'Bannon.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does UA have a legit shot at Jordan Brown? If they can land him then you take the sure thing, Brown is going to college. If Brown is a lock to UCLA then no harm in waiting for Bagley if you're Sean Miller unless there is another big other than Bol, Bagley or Brown. If I was Miller I would focus on kids that are good but 3 year players that way you don't have a lot of turnover and kids develop. Look at UNC, a lot of their guys from last year's title team are coming back so the continuity is there, UK is going to have to get all their 5 stars to put their ego and NBA auditions second to meshing together to win a title but will that happen?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does UA have a legit shot at Jordan Brown? If they can land him then you take the sure thing, Brown is going to college. If Brown is a lock to UCLA then no harm in waiting for Bagley if you're Sean Miller unless there is another big other than Bol, Bagley or Brown. If I was Miller I would focus on kids that are good but 3 year players that way you don't have a lot of turnover and kids develop. Look at UNC, a lot of their guys from last year's title team are coming back so the continuity is there, UK is going to have to get all their 5 stars to put their ego and NBA auditions second to meshing together to win a title but will that happen?

Brown isn't a lock anywhere right now. Cal was the perceived leader and apparently Wyking Jones was the lead recruiter on him so when Cal made him head coach that didn't hurt.

Brown likes UCLA from what we're told but because he thought Bagley was going to UCLA, and he and Bagley don't want to play together in college and share the spotlight, he was leaning towards Cal the local team.

Now UCLA has to make a decision on whether to wait on Bagley or focus on Brown. UA is involved with Brown too and in the same situation do you wait on Bagley, or focus on Brown. I don't see Brown as being another Rabb where he goes to Cal to stay home, in the end I think he ends up at somewhere like UCLA or UA, unless he gets admitted to Stanford, which is possible, and then picks them. Very good student. he's good but he's not as good as Bagley but then few are.

His dad played college ball and has connections to people at Nevada and St Johns so they're on the list. I'm not clear who but he's got a connection to UCLA too. Scout lists his top 6 as Arizona, Cal, Nevada, St Johns, Stanford and UCLA in alphabetical order. 247 lists UCLA as the favorite then Cal but the picks are a year old.

He's going to be a terrific player but he's not as physically read as Bagley, not as strong, not as athletic etc. I think he's a 2 year guy and being a great student helps in that regard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know why kids do the overseas thing. They get paid but coaches aren't showcasing kids that are only there one year supplanting veterans on the team so these kids don't stand out that year. Look at Terrence Ferguson as the latest example, his stock didn't improve, he still looks like a late first round pick, maybe if he played college ball he could have had more exposure and could have improved his draft stock.
But then he would've had to do school and not get paid. Where's the fun in that?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It definitely seems like UNC has the perfect formula in today's game. Find guys that want to stay in school and they're more seasoned than OAD-heavy teams come tourney time.

I think it's a combination of getting lucky and Roy Williams being a poor developer of talent so guys don't leave right away. Or he doesn't play them much a freshman. They did go six years without a F4 between 2010-15' but all three of his title teams were pretty much identical with Jr PG's and experienced frontcourts.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Bol Bol has awful grades and might not even qualify. Bagley's grades are fine, but he might just want to get paid now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's the case then taking Jeter was a no-brainer.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It definitely seems like UNC has the perfect formula in today's game. Find guys that want to stay in school and they're more seasoned than OAD-heavy teams come tourney time.

I think it's a combination of getting lucky and Roy Williams being a poor developer of talent so guys don't leave right away. Or he doesn't play them much a freshman. They did go six years without a F4 between 2010-15' but all three of his title teams were pretty much identical with Jr PG's and experienced frontcourts.
Obviously, the game is much different now but the '97 title team had freshman phenom Bibby and the rest of the team were upperclassmen. UK's last title team had Anthony Davis and 5 other current NBA players but OAD dominant teams haven't seen the success they should because players feel the need to be the man and improve their draft stock, if they win a title that's icing on the cake.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, the game is much different now but the '97 title team had freshman phenom Bibby and the rest of the team were upperclassmen. UK's last title team had Anthony Davis and 5 other current NBA players but OAD dominant teams haven't seen the success they should because players feel the need to be the man and improve their draft stock, if they win a title that's icing on the cake.

I'm sure this is the case with some players but on the whole I think it's less this than it is experience. The old adage "the best thing about freshman is they become sophomores" is very true.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And because of the AFAM scandal they missed on several elite recruits like Brandon Ingram, guys who would have gone OAD and cost them other recruits.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And because of the AFAM scandal they missed on several elite recruits like Brandon Ingram, guys who would have gone OAD and cost them other recruits.

I haven't read all the details but is UNC just not getting punished b/c they're a blue blood? The NCAA couldn't prove someone else took Derrick Rose' SAT's (even though everyone kinda knows it) and they had no problem yanking a F4 from them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I haven't read all the details but is UNC just not getting punished b/c they're a blue blood? The NCAA couldn't prove someone else took Derrick Rose' SAT's (even though everyone kinda knows it) and they had no problem yanking a F4 from them.
UNC, Duke, UK, KU...all to big to fall. They bring in a lot of money for the NCAA, they won't sacrifice their cash cows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So far UNC's plan is working. Deny everything and figure the NCAA won't want to take down any titles.

The other thing is if you saw the latest defense from UNC that came out last week, they are saying beause so many non athletes took the courses too, it's not an athletic problem it's academic and outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA. they're actually saying those classes were so bogus you can't touch us.

If you look at the history one of the things that I've always believed is at some point UNC figured out people are going to catch on, we're going to get caught, and they started enrolling more and more real students. Even the assistant Crowder was steering non athletes into the classes. it's apparent to me they realized that was goign to be their best defense, if non athletes do it too, it's not extra benefits.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The latest on Bagley is he has not informed Sierra Canyon if he's leaving or not, they're apparently expecting he will but he hasn't officially left. He told people over the weekend he's not planning on reclassifying but apparently it's still open, there's some talk UK is trying to get him to do it and attend UK this year even if it meant he wouldn't be eligible first semester in college.

He insists he's going to play a year in college so he seems to be denying the rumors he intends to just play overseas.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The latest on Bagley is he has not informed Sierra Canyon if he's leaving or not, they're apparently expecting he will but he hasn't officially left. He told people over the weekend he's not planning on reclassifying but apparently it's still open, there's some talk UK is trying to get him to do it and attend UK this year even if it meant he wouldn't be eligible first semester in college.

He insists he's going to play a year in college so he seems to be denying the rumors he intends to just play overseas.
Probably denying overseas rumors until everything is finalized. Good ol Dad is probably trying to get more money from a pro team by using college as leverage. If I were a pro team I would just say forget it, he'd only be there one year and then bolt anyways.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably denying overseas rumors until everything is finalized. Good ol Dad is probably trying to get more money from a pro team by using college as leverage. If I were a pro team I would just say forget it, he'd only be there one year and then bolt anyways.

The general feeling is often wrong, remember again this time last year the general feeling was Ayton was going pro.

With Bagley the dad works for Nike, he's his AAU coach, they're Nike sponsored and the dad gets paid by Nike. So there's this assumption that part of his recruitment revolves around Nike wanting him at a Nike school whereas that might not be the wish of the dad or the kid. When it seemed lots of people thought UCLA was the leader, that was one of the big questions, UCLA is Adidas moving to Under Armour, will the dad really go against Nike just to have him in LA? He'd get tons of exposure in Lexington or Tucson etc and be at a Nike school. So the latest that seems to be suggesting if he goes to college it's wide open again if you're a UCLA fan you immediately get told it's because Nike is asserting influence on the dad.

I think the general "fear" is the kid moves to Lexington, the whole family follows, he goes to UK and that's it. In that scenario he's supposedly going to reclass, enroll at UK and become eligible 2nd half of the season.

All these kids are getting money one way or another so I have a hard time believing playing a year in China is going to be much more money for him. I think the kids that do go pro are generally doing it to avoid school, or because like with Ferguson and Mudiay, because they probably couldn't go to a D1 school due to academics or in Mudiay's case apparently something else.

Just seems now the NCAA doesn't seem to really care. I think a kid could go live on Facebook and commit to a school with a bag of cash sitting in front of him and the NCAA would probably still let him play. They seem to have just completely abandoned the amateurism part.

I suspect the last straw there was the O'Bannon lawsuit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose