Arizona Basketball 2016-2017 Season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think Bol is scared of Jeter the way Bol is playing now. I wasn't that high on him but he's been so much better this month I am now.

no idea what happened with jeter, earlier today Gershon said UCLA, Gonzaga and Arizona no idea who leads, later in the day he said Jeter not visiting and UCLA no longer involved, hes' not sure if UCLA pulled the plug or Jeter did or both.

I wasn't high on him but would have taken him because UCLA is going to need guys and he's experienced. Puts much more pressure on the staff now to get Bagley and Bol or something like that.

Of course the dream scenario for everyone in 18 right now is Bagley, Bol and Cassius Stanley who is widely expected to reclass to 18 since he's so old for his class. I doubt all 3 end up together but that seems to be the dream scenario for a few schools.

I'm not sure why UCLA wouldn't want Jeter. They'll be in the same boat as AZ after next year having no centers on the roster.

Bol has been speaking highly of Kentucky recently. With their history of big men in the NBA they'll definitely be in there too. AZ has a good connection with him being buds with Shareef.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why UCLA wouldn't want Jeter. They'll be in the same boat as AZ after next year having no centers on the roster.

Bol has been speaking highly of Kentucky recently. With their history of big men in the NBA they'll definitely be in there too. AZ has a good connection with him being buds with Shareef.

Yeah I don't know I think the UCLA concern is we are thin at guard so taking a big who can't play next year does nothing to help there.

But again I don't know if UCLA pulled the plug or he did. Even if Welsh comes back UCLA loses him and GG after this year so Jeter would have been the front runner at the 5.

He's not a great player but I suspect he'll play better somewhere else than he did at Duke, Coach K has a history of not being able to use guys like Jeter. Pure post like Okafor he found a way, guys like jeter tend to get lost at Duke.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeter to Arizona per Gershon

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
2018's team is going to be stacked assuming Miller can land a PG and another perimeter player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gershon said he's 3 months older than Riley despite being two classes ahead. Going against Ayton in practice could be big.

Yeah Riley is old for his class and Jeter was young for his so that's not a surprise.

part of why I always wanted Riley is he's sort of the ideal recruit, he's good enough to be a good player but he's not tall enough to leave real early he's a pure 4 but he's undersized. I suppose the age could work against him, want to leave early because he's older but I think he's at least going to be around 3 years.

I'm not a Jeter fan but Miller could do him some good toughen him up.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Welcome back, Alkins. Big time come back.

PJC/Barcello
Alkins/Smith
Trier/Randolph/Denny
Ayton/Lee
Ristic/Pinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Wow!!

After a great combine I thought he was 99% gone. Miller starting two Sr's, a Jr, Soph and freshman. Huge!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!!

After a great combine I thought he was 99% gone. Miller starting two Sr's, a Jr, Soph and freshman. Huge!

Yeah without him I had USC right there with you, now I think you guys are better. Alkins coming back is huge for you guys really good overall player.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't get the Simmons and Comanche decision to stay in the draft, Simmons may hear his name called but I do not see Comanche anywhere in mocks. I guess overseas is an option for both but why not just transfer?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don't get the Simmons and Comanche decision to stay in the draft, Simmons may hear his name called but I do not see Comanche anywhere in mocks. I guess overseas is an option for both but why not just transfer?

Simmons made up his mind to be 1 and done before choosing a program. Comanche hated school.

It will be interesting to see if Miller is still going after Cam Johnson. He could sell him on playing the 4 and getting tons of 3pt shots next to Ayton. That lineup would be unstoppable.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons made up his mind to be 1 and done before choosing a program. Comanche hated school.

It will be interesting to see if Miller is still going after Cam Johnson. He could sell him on playing the 4 and getting tons of 3pt shots next to Ayton. That lineup would be unstoppable.

I don't think Johnson will come. Ristic is the starting center and Ayton will play the 4. Ristic had been offered to play overseas next year but is coming back due to Miller promising him that he will start. If Cam accepts a role where he is the first off the bench, playing several positions, he could possibly still go to the UofA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Biiiig day getting Rawle back. He might not necessarily have the beautiful numbers but imo he's a big time player. I wouldn't be half surprised to see him really assert himself this season and become a first rounder. His athleticism, basketball IQ, strength, and hustle are a great combination . . . another year of development, coaching and experience will be invaluable.

I could see an unfortunate on-court battle for dominance between alkins and Trier as they try to improve their draft position. And if ayton is as-advertised he's going to need the ball. But this should be a dominant squad. Good problems to have.

Let's see if Miller can get a final four finally.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've read KEN might end up landing Johnson which I would find ironic as UK's roster is deeper than UA's so playing time may be limited especially in off chance Diallo withdraws from the draft.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
And now, Emmanuel Akot reclassified to 2017.

Deeeeeeepppppppp

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
By reclassifying into 2017, Akot joins a recruiting class already ranked in the top five nationally. The highlight is No. 2 overall prospect DeAndre Ayton, but ESPN 100 prospects Brandon Randolph, Ira Lee and Alex Barcello are also in the fold. This will be the seventh straight season Sean Miller has recruited a top-seven class to Arizona.

This has got to put us as a big Final 4 favorite in 2017.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I like the Akot move. He probably won't play much this year but he'll have a year of experience going into 2018... Randolph, Barcello, Akot and Lee should get some quality development for the future. Then you add O'Neal/Jeter/PG plus 1-2 more recruits to that group and they should be deep again the following season.

Looking like a fun ride coming up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't wait for next year! (to see how this team underachieves again)

kidding... kinda. I'm actually pretty excited for next season. This team is beyond loaded.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
can't wait for next year! (to see how this team underachieves again)

kidding... kinda. I'm actually pretty excited for next season. This team is beyond loaded.
They've won 30+ games in 3/4 years. 75% conference winning % over last 6 years.

I guess a few possessions is the difference between the HOF and an underachiever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Akot move. He probably won't play much this year but he'll have a year of experience going into 2018... Randolph, Barcello, Akot and Lee should get some quality development for the future. Then you add O'Neal/Jeter/PG plus 1-2 more recruits to that group and they should be deep again the following season.

Looking like a fun ride coming up.

Definitely loaded. the following season will be interesting I'd skeptical Ira Lee gets to his junior year at UA and if Miller lands another big who can play 4, I'm skeptical he gets to his soph year. But that would be due to getting guys better than him so not necessarily a negative.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've won 30+ games in 3/4 years. 75% conference winning % over last 6 years.

I guess a few possessions is the difference between the HOF and an underachiever.

I will ask the same question I asked last year - what finish will NOT be a disappointment? Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Championship Game or winning it all? (Just assuming not getting to Sweet 16 would automatically be a disappointment).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
There's a difference between a disappointment and underachieving. Underachieving is going 21-12 and losing on the first weekend with 3 NBA players on your roster. 63 teams have to lose their last game, even Gonzaga fans were disappointed how their season ended.