Arizona Basketball 2013-2014

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Official season thread for UofA hoops for 13-14.

Click here for the schedule

Conference media ranked UofA #1 in the PAC (no surprise).

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/col...ball-picked-to-win-pac-12-asu-tabbed-7th.html

Coaches' Poll has UofA #5 in the Top 25.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/polls

Looking forward to this season. The team finally has a true PG in McConnel, which has been the Achilles' heal for this team since Miller took over. There are playmakers all over the place. There is depth. There is elite coaching. The recipe for a championship team.

Honestly, the only question I have is how much has Kaleb matured since last season. If he becomes at least a quality defender and plugs up the middle on defense, there won't be very many weaknesses anywhere.

Dallas or bust this season.

:cats:

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if UA doesn't make the Final Four it will be a disappointing season?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, yes.

I'm disappointed every year they don't make the Final 4 but that's not the same thing as saying the year was a disappointment. For me, that will depend on how everything comes together. Also, any given year, there are probably a dozen teams that expect to make the Final 4. Calling anything less than the Final 4 a disappointment before the season even starts seems a bit much to me. Injuries, matchups and such have a lot to do with who advances and who goes home. I like our chances on paper though.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say "Final Four" do you mean NIT or NCAA?

/s/ Herb Sendek

haha.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expectations are P12 title and Elite 8. For everything else there's too much of a level of randomness.

I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Final Four - there is a lot of a crap shoot when it comes to seeding for any team to expect it.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
It's certainly a crap shoot, but if the talent, coaching, and potential are there to make the Final Four, why not set expectations high when they are realistic? IMO, the real crap shoot is winning the tourney outright.

It's not like fans are going to slit their wrists if we don't make it, but we're not a team like ASU that throws a ticker-tape parade for simply making the big dance; we're a team that expects it season in and season out and to make noise while we're there.

Also, this team has much more talent than the 2011 team that made it to the Elite 8 and was one shot away from the Final Four. If Miller can coach that team all the way to the Elite 8, it's not unreasonable to expect him to be able to coach this roster to Dallas.

:koolaid:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So if UA doesn't make the Final Four it will be a disappointing season?

If not an Elite Eight, yes. Miller is building something special and making it to the Final Four every year as a goal is what most top programs view as successful. It was like that under Lute and it's that way now under Miller. I can't wait until the season starts.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Does anyone here have their 2 cents on whether Gordon and/or Hollis-Jefferson stay more than one year? Follow up, who else do we lose after this season? Johnson? Ashley? (Mayes excluded)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have their 2 cents on whether Gordon and/or Hollis-Jefferson stay more than one year? Follow up, who else do we lose after this season? Johnson? Ashley? (Mayes excluded)

Gordon's mom has already told the local paper the plan is for him to enjoy his year in college so if he's back as a soph something went very wrong.

I can't see Rondae jump, too skinny and needs work on his shot, leans back and kicks his foot out. Great athlete will be a terrific defender and eventually will play in the NBA but I think he needs 2 years at least.

the one obvious question mark on UA is outside shooting. McConnell and Nick are pretty good shooters although Nick has been streaky both his years. Beyond that it's not clear who else can make shots, Pitts and york can but they are both stuck on the bench as backups.

UA should be a terrific defensive team, they should be a nightmare on the offensive glass(Gordon is an offensive rebounding fiend), they just have to make enough jumpshots to stop everyone from zoning or playing pack line man against them.

I'd pick them as the favorite right now, if Oregon gets Young cleared I might pick Oregon they're just so talented in the 1-4 positions if they get Young cleared.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Miller said we're gonna run 8 man rotations and sometimes 9. I see York in there and Pitts out (possible red shirt).

Team looks very deep and very athletic. Good exhibition yesterday.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's so nice to finally have a real point guard in Miller's system. Ashley, Nick & Gordon will be having a lot of dunks from the passes by TJ.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller said we're gonna run 8 man rotations and sometimes 9. I see York in there and Pitts out (possible red shirt).

Team looks very deep and very athletic. Good exhibition yesterday.

FWIW Romar said the other day he thinks teams may have to go 10-12 deep early in the season while adjusting to the way the refs will be calling it, especially in the backcourt with the emphasis on handchecking. We'll see, if that actually happens not a lot of teams go that deep, so that could get ugly quickly

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conference recruiting continues to go well. Stanford got Humphrey today over UA, and UCLA just got a surprise commit from PF Kevon Looney.

UA has a really good early class and it looks like Stanford might pull in a good class and suddenly UCLA doesn't look dead in the water, lots of Winslow to UCLA rumors. Looks like Johnson to UA and of course they are very strong for Winslow too.

Looks like the Pac 12 is going to be stronger this year and it might continue next year with the talent coming in.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gordon's a top 10 pick maybe top 5. Kid is insanely talented when you combine with his motor and measurable is an NBA GM's wet dream.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gordon, Wiggins, Parker, Randle all had solid debuts. The draft next year is gonna be every GM's wet dream

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Gabe York's maturation is a pleasant surprise. Kid is ballin' out of his mind. If he can hit shots and pass like he has been so far, it just adds yet another dimension to this already loaded team.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gabe York's maturation is a pleasant surprise. Kid is ballin' out of his mind. If he can hit shots and pass like he has been so far, it just adds yet another dimension to this already loaded team.

Kids a baller. I was surprised he didn't play more last year...but he definitely showed some flashes