Arians on ESPN

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched Wingo interview Arians. Said Les Miles, Peterson and Minter all stood up for Mathieu. He believes in second chances and thought this was the spot.

Said Luck has been telling him for a year about Taylor. He loves the guy. Also said look at all of the picks they made that were captains on their respective teams.

Specifically mentioned how much he likes Jefferson.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I like our Coach more every time I hear him speak. Of course, we haven't played a snap yet but I ran out of koolaid a few years ago, nice to get a new supply.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Was he interview during the draft?? Do you know about what pick range he was interviewed at.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Was he interview during the draft?? Do you know about what pick range he was interviewed at.
He was interviewed like 20 minutes ago when this thread was made. Right before the comp picks started in the 7th round.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
If Graves and Whisenhunt were still in charge, I would have paid little attention to this draft. This fresh start has really hit the spot and, based on everything I have seen since January, I think that the franchise is headed in the right direction.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Graves and Whisenhunt were still in charge, I would have paid little attention to this draft. This fresh start has really hit the spot and, based on everything I have seen since January, I think that the franchise is headed in the right direction.

Oh yeah big time. What a breath of fresh air these guys are.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love BA. If he were in the military, he'd be a general. Exudes leadership and confidence.

I loved that he was salivating over the Taylor pick, saying that Andrew Luck had been talking about Stepfan for a year, and that BA really wanted him.

Drafting team captains...nice.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't believe so, but Minter was.

He was. A two time captain.

Listen to his conference call with the media - he mentions this when responding to bill polian's idiotic comment that he was a bad teammate (a comment thesmel is touting all over the place).

"That doesn't get to me. I was a two-time captain at LSU. I only played two seasons. You can ask any teammate I ever played with, the reason they played hard was because I played hard. I don't let those types of things get to me. I've made my mistakes, I had my habit I had to shake and that was marijuana. I was never a bad teammate. The only thing I did for my teammates was motivate 'em, encourage 'em to be All-Americans and motivate them to be the best that they could be. So nobody can ever take that away from me."

Suck on THAT, Bill Polian (and by extension, those that tout Polian's opinion as some gospel fact).

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He was. A two time captain.

Listen to his conference call with the media - he mentions this when responding to bill polian's idiotic comment that he was a bad teammate (a comment thesmel is touting all over the place).

"That doesn't get to me. I was a two-time captain at LSU. I only played two seasons. You can ask any teammate I ever played with, the reason they played hard was because I played hard. I don't let those types of things get to me. I've made my mistakes, I had my habit I had to shake and that was marijuana. I was never a bad teammate. The only thing I did for my teammates was motivate 'em, encourage 'em to be All-Americans and motivate them to be the best that they could be. So nobody can ever take that away from me."

Suck on THAT, Bill Polian (and by extension, those that tout Polian's opinion as some gospel fact).
On the other hand, part of being a good teammate is being reliable and accountable on and off the field. Getting suspended, and eventually kicked off the team, tends to put those two attributes in question. He was probably a great teammate on the field. Off the field, not so much.

I like the pick and think he'll be great or the Cards. I don't get the people who compare him to Pacman. Mathieu seems like a good kid while Jones has been an idiot pretty much his entire life.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
On the other hand, part of being a good teammate is being reliable and accountable on and off the field. Getting suspended, and eventually kicked off the team, tends to put those two attributes in question. He was probably a great teammate on the field. Off the field, not so much.

I like the pick and think he'll be great or the Cards. I don't get the people who compare him to Pacman. Mathieu seems like a good kid while Jones has been an idiot pretty much his entire life.

On this I beg to differ....I watched the Mathieu drama play out on local tv here in Baton Rouge and there is one thing that can be said in the young mans favor....

unlike many of todays youth, the honey badger was not crying that he was set up, or pointing fingers at other people, or shirking responsibility for his actions..
he admitted his mistakes and accepted the consequences for those mistakes...... that is by definition, being "accountable" is it not?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
On this I beg to differ....I watched the Mathieu drama play out on local tv here in Baton Rouge and there is one thing that can be said in the young mans favor....

unlike many of todays youth, the honey badger was not crying that he was set up, or pointing fingers at other people, or shirking responsibility for his actions..
he admitted his mistakes and accepted the consequences for those mistakes...... that is by definition, being "accountable" is it not?
To me, not making the mistake in the first place, much less numerous times, is being accountable.

Like, I said, I like the pick and think he'll be a good player but I also understand why people question him as a person and a teammate.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
To me, not making the mistake in the first place, much less numerous times, is being accountable.

If a person never made an error, there wouldn't be much to be held accountable for...

Who is ever held accountable for all the things they did right?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Like, I said, I like the pick and think he'll be a good player but I also understand why people question him as a person and a teammate.

It would be nice if every college football player was a perfect angel. But after hearing Todd McShay go on about how horrific Tyrann's upbringing was, you really have to think he is overcoming some big odds.

Reading Peter King's MMQB column this morning, he says Tyrann's contract will have NO guaranteed money. He'll be getting periodic roster bonuses and is subject to weekly drug screening at the Cardinals' discretion. Essentially he is on a zero-tolerance contract. He has every incentive to clean up his act and he has Patrick Peterson to help in that regard.

I'm rooting for the kid to stay straight and become all that he can be. He's the kind of under-sized ferocious competitor that I love. He is Mike Adams with more athletic ability. And it doesn't hurt that he's playing for MY team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real test will be whether or not he brings any of his entourage with him. If he leaves all of them behind, he has a chance.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
He smoked some weed thats it, all of these pundits and journalist are treating this like he robbed, killed, or assaulted someone, hell if we has drafted by the Broncos he would have no issues since its legal in Colorado and IMO will be legal in this country in the next 5 years, for no other reason than we need the tax revenue. i wish when Wingo was hammering him in the interview he would have asked him if he had ever smoked weed in college and that would have shut Trey up...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He smoked some weed thats it, all of these pundits and journalist are treating this like he robbed, killed, or assaulted someone, hell if we has drafted by the Broncos he would have no issues since its legal in Colorado and IMO will be legal in this country in the next 5 years, for no other reason than we need the tax revenue. i wish when Wingo was hammering him in the interview he would have asked him if he had ever smoked weed in college and that would have shut Trey up...

I can't believe someone brings up this argument every time we talk about a player with drug baggage. Forget that it's marijuana. Forget about all the arguments in favor of legalizing it or how much worse alcohol is or the old "everyone does it" story. None of that matters. He is NOT ALLOWED TO DO IT and HE DOES IT ANYWAY. Anything else in this conversation is superfluous. You can't justify it and you can't rationalize it away.

I agree it's not as bad as getting multiple DUI's or beating your wife or going all Kobe Roethlisberger on a girl but none of that changes the fact that he let his teammates down, repeatedly. He's a Cardinal now and I wish him the best and I tune out all the holier-than-thou pundits that raked him through the coals but none of that changes this situation. It takes a lot of discipline to play this game at the highest level and this young man's failure to stay off of pot is understandably alarming to many of us.

Steve

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson