Arians has to be thinking, "Told y'all to hire Bettcher..."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It really is incredible how with BA and Stanton this team had a semi credible offense, now they can't pick up a first down with mostly the same personnel.

No they didn't. Not even CLOSE. They had a formidable DEFENSE that carried the team.

This thread is fallacious. Bettcher would have been a terrible hire too. Just because we hired the wrong guy doesn't mean we should have hired the OTHER wrong guy.

Jake6233

All Star
Reaction score
No they didn't. Not even CLOSE. They had a formidable DEFENSE that carried the team.

This thread is fallacious. Bettcher would have been a terrible hire too. Just because we hired the wrong guy doesn't mean we should have hired the OTHER wrong guy.
They were though. 27 against Jacksonville, a playoff team. 26 against Seattle in Seattle when Seattle needed a win to make the playoffs. Even in games like Washington where they scored only 15 they were still able to move the ball somewhat. Not to mention they pushed the ball down field and tested teams vertically with big plays here and there. Night and day compared to this team which may break many records for offensive futility.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

At least we would have the same formidable defense instead of what we have now, and the offense couldn't have been any worse than it is right now. He would have likely continued the BA style offense with his own tweaks. I wasn't a Bettcher fan, but it's looking like he would have been the better choice between the two. I would have preferred they kept Bettcher as an interim HC for one year.

Had the Jets ran Bowles out of town I would have gladly hired him. It's too bad he left when he did... our D could have been even better and he would be likely be the successor to BA.

In fantasy land the Jets and Cards trade coaches mid-season.

Stout

Reaction score
At least we would have the same formidable defense instead of what we have now, and the offense couldn't have been any worse than it is right now. He would have likely continued the BA style offense with his own tweaks. I wasn't a Bettcher fan, but it's looking like he would have been the better choice between the two. I would have preferred they kept Bettcher as an interim HC for one year.

Had the Jets ran Bowles out of town I would have gladly hired him. It's too bad he left when he did... our D could have been even better and he would be likely be the successor to BA.

In fantasy land the Jets and Cards trade coaches mid-season.

The better choice would have been to not hire EITHER of them. They weren't the only two coaching candidates out there, so why bother to chose between garbage and hot garbage?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Betcher with Norv Turner as OC (that was his reported staff) would undoubtedly be better than what we have now. Hindsight 2020.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You mean an offense without David Johnson and D J Humphries? Weird that it’s be bad, but they still won games.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
You mean an offense without David Johnson and D J Humphries? Weird that it’s be bad, but they still won games.

Doubt we came anywhere close to finishing last in net yards, touchdowns, time of possession, last year. All without David Johnson or a starting caliber QB last year.

This year? If we continue at this pace we will be dead last in all three. The bills are our only competition.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
On Sunday night football they just listed Bettcher and Bowles as two of the most aggressive and best DC's in the league.

So there's that.
It still doesn’t mean Betch would be a good HC, 2 different animals running a team & being a DC. Not everyone can succeed at both.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

In defense of Bettcher (never thought I’d type that phrase), seems like we hired the “wronger” guy.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I got problem with you people who think Arians did not get the best of this bunch last year even with major injuries. Don't make me call Festivus to air grievances about you all. That aside, this Wilks guy looks clueless.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Stout

Reaction score

The offense didn't lose games at that point, which absolutely was the best that could be hoped for. It wasn't a criticism of them, just a response to credit given where it wasn't due.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
it is amazing that arians and co had nearly this same roster last year and got 8-8 out of them. we look like we are going 0-16, really don't know what you have until its gone.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Wilks looks like a deer in headlights on the sidelines. It's not good, but it's only his second game as a HC so willing to be a bit more patient on him.

McCoy should be gone tomorrow, his offense makes me think I went back in time a couple decades.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
it is amazing that arians and co had nearly this same roster last year and got 8-8 out of them. we look like we are going 0-16, really don't know what you have until its gone.

The Arians era will be looked back on as the "good ole days".

Grim times indeed.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We should have given what ever Mike Munchak was asking. I still think he was Cards first choice and when he pulled out, Cards should have brought in Jim Caldwell at least for a look. Clearly they settled for Wilks. I am in favor of hiring Jim Caldwell as OC tomorrow and see how it goes. Also I don't understand why Wilks was given 4 year contract instead of 3. Didn't Arians start with a three year contract?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The defense lost this game.... The offense just made sure a victory was 100% NOT going to happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave