Are the Suns being mismanaged?

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Anyone else had enough of the management b.s. I dont know what their purpose is. Are we waiting for another player to want to come to us like Grant Hill. Is that the only way we will improve?

What the heck hell is going on Sarver ,Kerr, D'Antoni ..anyone.. Bueller??

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Heck, that's an easy question. The answer is No. The Suns' goal is to put an entertaining, competitive team on the floor while maintaining a comfortable profit margin. In that respect they are succeeding quite nicely, thank you, and whatever player movement their division rivals may be involved in really isn't the least bit relevant.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Anyone else had enough of the management b.s. I dont know what their purpose is. Are we waiting for another player to want to come to us like Grant Hill. Is that the only way we will improve?

What the heck hell is going on Sarver ,Kerr, D'Antoni ..anyone.. Bueller??
I said I'd go easy on the Suns management for awhile. But there's a reason the Celts and Lakers history is more storied than the Suns. Creativity . . . and guts.

The Celts get Garnett, probably this season's MVP. The Lakers get Gasol and are rumored to be going after Kidd, the second or third best Point Guard in the league.

Creativity and guts.

Suns management hasn't shown the guts to take that final step.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I said I'd go easy on the Suns management for awhile. But there's a reason the Celts and Lakers history is more storied than the Suns. Creativity . . . and guts.

The Celts get Garnett, probably this season's MVP. The Lakers get Gasol and are rumored to be going after Kidd, the second or third best Point Guard in the league.

Creativity and guts.

Not since trading 3 starters to Philly for Barkley.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not since trading 3 starters to Philly for Barkley.
And obviously it wasn't enough.

Especially when KJ started challenging Chuck for the title of Franchise and the Suns seemed more interested in celebrity status than Championship status.

I know, we were going up against Michael. Even more reason why management should have stepped up.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Creativity and guts.

The Celtics have been dormant for 20 years and now they decide to do something and you heap praise on them? Uh no.

OP
OP
S

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Congrats to the Lakers for showing how to really move someone and get an all-star out of it. Suns move players by giving them away with draft picks. Damn it, Lakers were all screwed up over the summer, now they look strong.

Suns good fortune is about to run out but only due to complacency. They had chips to use and they were sold or given away because management felt we were good enough. We could have improved. Grant Hill coming here was nice of GRANT HILL, he had options- it's not that we went out and got him in a one-sided trade. He came free.

I have no confidence in Suns management skills at this point. I feel they have been going in the wrong direction for awhile. Small ball can run an old Shaq or Yao off the court but not all seven footers are like that. Playoffs are more physical and shooters get bumped more with no call. Without the call its just a missed shot and you need to get the rebound. And what are we doing about rebounding? Oh yeah we are not supposed to miss.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Well, with a storied franchise comes the benefit of having storied former HOFers delivering the best pieces from other teams back to their origin.

However, the Suns have a good enough roster without the savvy to put it to full use under DA. With DA's own words, and I agree, we got beat by a team with less talent in Spurs.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I think the Suns position is to manage the cap at all costs, where other teams are taking the position of get to a championship at all costs. Wasn't this the concern when Sarver took control of the team?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about the Suns, but the Grizzlies sure are mismanaged.

It takes courage to put together a championship team and Suns management doesn't seem to have it. They want to follow the Spurs model, but the Spurs are a fluke. Lightning struck once when the got David Robinson, they tanked, and it struck again with Tim Duncan. They had to get really bad to do it. The Suns are unwilling to to lose it all to go for it all. The only other way to do it is to follow the Jerry Colangelo model. Draft well and trade for players that make a difference.

The Lakers are following that model, as is Danny Ainge in Boston.

Rookie GM's don't want to make mistakes, no courage, no championships.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pros: Signed Barbosa to an outstanding deal
Signed Grant Hill to an amazing deal
Found vets like Tim Thomas and Jalen Rose at no cost
Seem to have found a keeper in second round DJ Strawberry
Got Brian Skinner when the team needed size

Cons: Underbid on Joe Johnson
Overbid Boris Diaw
Failed to resign Tim Thomas
Traded away Kurt Thomas and James Jones, who fill needs
Have had a wealth of draft picks the last few years and have exactly 1 player that plays to show for it: DJ Strawberry

My knee jerk reaction is "absolutely". Looking at the pros and cons it is a bit closer than I initially thought. So instead of me answering "absolutely" it is "Their hits are good but their misses are bigger."

cly2tw

Reaction score
I don't know about the Suns, but the Grizzlies sure are mismanaged.

It takes courage to put together a championship team and Suns management doesn't seem to have it. They want to follow the Spurs model, but the Spurs are a fluke. Lightning struck once when the got David Robinson, they tanked, and it struck again with Tim Duncan. They had to get really bad to do it. The Suns are unwilling to to lose it all to go for it all. The only other way to do it is to follow the Jerry Colangelo model. Draft well and trade for players that make a difference.

The Lakers are following that model, as is Danny Ainge in Boston.

Rookie GM's don't want to make mistakes, no courage, no championships.

Our problem is that we are a one-trick pony, the pony being the kicker of a NFL team Nash. We have another potential franchise player in Amare but we elected to develop Barbosa as the next best alternative to Nash's on offense. But when it comes to the final possessions in a game, TD, Kobe, LBJ, Wade, even Pierce are more reliable than Nash. So, we amassed more talent but they are reduced to Nash when it counts most in the post seasons, reducing our odds there. End of story.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Heck, that's an easy question. The answer is No. The Suns' goal is to put an entertaining, competitive team on the floor while maintaining a comfortable profit margin. In that respect they are succeeding quite nicely, thank you, and whatever player movement their division rivals may be involved in really isn't the least bit relevant.
We have been entertained for 3 years now. Fans have now started to voice their concerns. Another couple of 2nd round exits might affect that as well.

They are an old story now for the league and media. That is why fake rumors were running wild regarding all kind of ridiculous trades to generate some team excitement, I guess. They are not media darlings any more.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Pros: Signed Barbosa to an outstanding deal
Signed Grant Hill to an amazing deal
Found vets like Tim Thomas and Jalen Rose at no cost
Seem to have found a keeper in second round DJ Strawberry
Got Brian Skinner when the team needed size

Cons: Underbid on Joe Johnson
Overbid Boris Diaw
Failed to resign Tim Thomas
Traded away Kurt Thomas and James Jones, who fill needs
Have had a wealth of draft picks the last few years and have exactly 1 player that plays to show for it: DJ Strawberry

My knee jerk reaction is "absolutely". Looking at the pros and cons it is a bit closer than I initially thought. So instead of me answering "absolutely" it is "Their hits are good but their misses are bigger."
Cons: Failed to sign a true backup point guard.
Failed to sign an impact big man after trading away KT.
Playing Barbosa out of position (as a consequence to first).
Playing Amare out of position (center, as a consequence to second).
Signed a bad player Banks for a horrible contract.

I might be in minority but I haven't seen anything out of Strawberry to excite me. He is an awful scorer and a below average defender right now. He might improve in year 3 or 4 if he keeps getting opportunity but he is what he is, a 2nd rounder with some potential. I mean how would you consider a player if he is benched for Banks???

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Granted their are some things we could still improve but we are a very good team with one of the best records in the nba, but we still defintally need some help in the offensive rebounding department and we defintally need another solid pg because barbosa and banks isn't going to cut it. I really like D.J Strawberry and think he can have a bright future here if Mike D stars using him more in more then just blowout situations.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Celtics have been dormant for 20 years
That's a good point.
azsouthendzone said:
...now they decide to do something and you heap praise on them? Uh no.
Yup . . . and the Lakers. Why wasn't it us?

They did; we didn't. And we were closer to a Championship than either of them. And now it's fizzling.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
We're very fortunate that we have a very good team. There are holes though in this team. I don't know if we're being mismanaged, but I think that there needs to be a change if we don't win it all this year.

I don't know if a move now, or a firing of any sort, would be the answer to our problems.

Kerr nor anyone else should be blamed for anything. We have a good team with some weaknesses. We should see what comes along, and maybe go from their, but I don't think we're being mismanaged.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Suns are making a profit, sold out every game, constantly on national broadcasts, are talked about a ton on ESPN and other major media networks, are selling a ton of merchandise, are one of the leagues most popular team and have a good a shot of anyone to win the title this year (unless you're a complete buffoon, you know damned well the Suns are one of the leagues top 5 teams and have a great shot). Yes, they're being horribly mismanaged and run into the ground.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...you know damned well the Suns are one of the leagues top 5 teams and have a great shot). Yes, they're being horribly mismanaged and run into the ground.
Was that before Stoudamire and Gasol filling other teams' needs and not ours?

As they used to say about the army of one of the Western European countries (I won't hurt feelings by saying which), "Advance to the Rear".

Standing still is falling behind. The Suns have advanced to the rear of the Championship contenders.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Was that before Stoudamire and Gasol filling other teams' needs and not ours?

As they used to say about the army of one of the Western European countries (I won't hurt feelings by saying which), "Advance to the Rear".

Standing still is falling behind. The Suns have advanced to the rear of the Championship contenders.

The Spurs were a contender anyway, getting Damon Stoudamire doesn't change that one way or the other .At most it just keeps them afloat while Parker is injured.

We have no clue how Gasol will fit in LA and in the triangle, it might work (I think it will), but who knows, it may not. Even if he does, the Spurs, Pistons, Celtics & Suns (and maybe the Mavs, but they've seem to fallen off) are still the class of the league.

The Suns tried to get Damon by the way, I know the neophytes who have overrun this board will blame Sarver, but wouldn't you have done the same as Damon? The Spurs have already won titles, have the best big man in the league, and have an injured starting PG and a horrible backup in Chuck Vaughn, he knows he'll get playing time there.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i think it's not Chuck..
anyway,
Barry is injured too.
so, Damon will definitely get some playing time.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
To the strictest terms Suns are well managed, if anything foamy will have them be competitive as long as he is in charge. They might never win a championship, but I doubt team wildcat would run their franchise into the ground like NY has.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Suns can be considered well managed if you look at it from the standpoint the Suns are trying to put a winning and entertaining team on the floor. Mission accomplished. However, if you look at it from a winning a title perspective, I can see why people question this management and some of the penny pinching ways as of late.

The biggest problem I have with management is that they don't understand that sooner or later this "entertainment" brand of basketball is going to wear thin on the fans (which it has for some). If the bottom line result is not a title, entertainment won't be enough.

I am getting tired of hearing things like "Suns fans are spoiled". Really?? Because last time I checked you can't be spoiled if you don't get what you want. I want a title. So win me 1 or 2, let me bitch...then call me spoiled.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its Pretty easy answer CONSIDERING, we have traded ASSETS, (KT, James Jones, 5 First Round picks), and done NOTHING but over pay Diaw, Piss off Marion, and sign a couple of good Vets who WANTED to be here anyway.....

Anyone who thinks the Suns Management is doing a good job is either

A. Forgetting the fact that we have an owner comparable to the Bidwells
B. Believe we are a BETTER team without Draft picks/solid players...

Think about it this way.. if the Suns management weren't such CHEAP retards who are only concerned about saving money, we simply could have kept KT and James Jones until the Trade Deadline, and then swung a deal of

KT
James Jones
3 First Round Picks

For Gasol

since the Luxury tax isn't taken into account until AFTER the Trade Deadline, why were we in SUCH a hurry to trade away our future just so Seattle would get a 10 Million dollar expiring deal....

We are mismanaged, and its a shame.... Do we have a competitive team right this moment... yes, could we be A LOT better if we had competent management, ABSOLUTELY....

Our Lineup could be/ SHOULD HAVE BEEN

PG: Nash/Rondo
SG: Bell/Barbosa
SF: Marion/Hill
PF: Amare/Diaw
C: Gasol/Splitter

... But no we mismanaged our Draft picks, and Cap Room, and put money ahead of the team....

I just can't fathom how there are still people who are defending them..

I wonder if these are the same people who defend Donald Sterling and Bill Bidwill??

:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson