Are getting the same vibe now as in 1993?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Do you think this town is as crazy about this Sun's team as the Finals team in 93? Just look at my avatar. This Sun's stuff was everywhere. Thousands of cars had the Sun's car flags. The Arizona Republic and Phoenix Gazette had all those signs everywhere. People were wearing Sun's gear to work. We even decorated out office with Sun's stuff everywhere and flew the Sun's flag on the flagpole at work. It was totally crazy. The Sun's players were bigger than rock stars. People driving around town honked their horns and waved at those displaying Sun's merchandise. This is when the internet was not mainstream like now but our public affection for the Suns was on dIsplay EVERYWHERE outside. I have not seen a single Suns flag in my neighborhood, except mine. I drove over 50 miles today and just a couple of Suns decals on a vehicle. I personally have the same feeling for this Suns team but I don't see the craziness we had everywhere in 93. The arena is crazy good but I don't think we have taken over the entire valley like we did in 93. What do you think?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The arena definitely seems crazier, but I don’t think the town is pulsing everywhere like it was in 1993. Every day, I usually just take a drive around 4 pm for an hour or so to listen to some Suns talk and I’ve yet to see ONE Suns flag from the window of car in over a MONTH of being here. In 1993, you had banners EVERYWHERE, on buildings, billboards... that HUGE Suns Barkley Jersey hung over the 15 foot high statue of the rising Phoenix outside Houston’s. I see some pop-ups selling merchandise on a couple corners, but I’ll say this... and I HATE to say it, when I lived in LA and the Lakers routinely made the Finals you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing those annoying AF yellow Laker mini-flags flapping in the wind on so many damn cars it would want to make you puke.

been pretty surprised, especially

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was just a kid but I don’t think anything touches the feeling of 93’. That was a pure community connection without the benefit of social media. I remember watching news as a kid and even when there wasn’t a game they led off with the Suns and as great as CP3 is you can’t duplicate the Barkley experience.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a different world now can’t really compare IMO, people are going nuts all over social media which is today’s world. I have seen some mini flags on cars etc. but the valley is made up of so many out of town era and the world isn’t as publicly as social as it once was…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s a different world now can’t really compare IMO, people are going nuts all over social media which is today’s world. I have seen some mini flags on cars etc. but the valley is made up of so many out of town era and the world isn’t as publicly as social as it once was…
I think part of it is this. I also think it’s been so long since the love affair with the suns has been reignited that frankly this took many in the valley by surprise and many are playing catch-up. In 93 we had been a good team for 5 years and just got Charles and were being trumpeted as a finals bound team. It felt more like a coronation by a community that had been working towards it for 5 years or so.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Ya, prior to Chuck coming, the Suns were a hot item. After his arrival, everything exploded. I’m not just talking about the fan base, but the entire Valley. The finals of 93 put the Phoenix area on the map nationally. We used to take baseline all the way out to power road and it was desert the entire way to superior (lots of rabbit, dove, and rattlesnakes were taken back then). The Valley really boomed after 93.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That year in 93 I have seen nothing like it. People were driving around with Suns stuff on their cars, the streets and shops had Suns gear everywhere. I had so many friends whose family had Suns flags and things in front of their house. I still have not seen anything like it. Barkley put Phoenix on the map in terms of national attention. The Suns were the biggest away draw that year and the Suns games on TV were the highest rated in franchise history.

Is it similar? I would say yes but I think fans have been disappointed so many times it seems a bit more reserved outside the arena. Keep in mind we had never had anybody the magnitude of Barkley. Inside it's freaking crazy.

Speaking strictly about the team this feels different because we were down 0-1 by the first game in the series in 93. It felt like we were going to have a hill to climb to beat the Bulls. This time I feel like it's the other way around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting the same vibe as 1993 Suns. They were a much more flashy team with Kevin Johnson and Charles Barkley.

The current Suns took everyone by surprise exceling to the highest level of the playoffs.

They are the little team that could.

I must say I'm amazed how quickly the fans have caught up proving again this is a basketball town. Many have been waiting dormant for this moment to happen.

The present Suns are a talented bunch but they bring their lunch pail to work. They are a focused group that takes nothing for granted fighting and clawing for every win.

Chris Paul has brought this work mentality to the Suns but they have a willing group of players who have embraced it. Without Devin Booker, James Jones and Monty Williams it doesn't happen.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As of today...it is not even close. The '93 team had so much personality on it from Barkley to Thunder to even our coach. Lol. It may get there in the coming days but man...'93 was HUGE. Plus we were around 2.5 million living here in the Valley back then and now we're at what...like 5 million. People from everywhere who hadn't seen the Suns "build up" for those years like a lot of us did prior to '93

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also remember that in 1993, only 2.2 million people lived in the Metro area, 4 million in the entire state
Now, there are 5 million just in the Metro area, most of the growth from outside of Arizona, and millions have been added since the last time the Suns made the playoffs!

Even at 2.2 million, there was much more of a small town feel with the Suns - Cardinals were new, no Dbacks, no Mercury, no Coyotes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya, prior to Chuck coming, the Suns were a hot item. After his arrival, everything exploded. I’m not just talking about the fan base, but the entire Valley. The finals of 93 put the Phoenix area on the map nationally. We used to take baseline all the way out to power road and it was desert the entire way to superior (lots of rabbit, dove, and rattlesnakes were taken back then). The Valley really boomed after 93.

Right. The valley has changed so much since 93. Back then it was the Suns and that’s kind of it. The Cardinals were still new to Arizona and we’re horrible and playing at Sun Devil stadium. No D-Backs. Everyone who lived here was from here and had grown up with the Suns

but I think it all changed after 93 like you said that put us on the map

so many people here from all different areas and we’ve been bad for a decade they have no real connection to the suns

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m doing my part! Flags on both cars and in my yard. Of course I’m in Orange County, CA.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you think this town is as crazy about this Sun's team as the Finals team in 93? Just look at my avatar. This Sun's stuff was everywhere. Thousands of cars had the Sun's car flags. The Arizona Republic and Phoenix Gazette had all those signs everywhere. People were wearing Sun's gear to work. We even decorated out office with Sun's stuff everywhere and flew the Sun's flag on the flagpole at work. It was totally crazy. The Sun's players were bigger than rock stars. People driving around town honked their horns and waved at those displaying Sun's merchandise. This is when the internet was not mainstream like now but our public affection for the Suns was on dIsplay EVERYWHERE outside. I have not seen a single Suns flag in my neighborhood, except mine. I drove over 50 miles today and just a couple of Suns decals on a vehicle. I personally have the same feeling for this Suns team but I don't see the craziness we had everywhere in 93. The arena is crazy good but I don't think we have taken over the entire valley like we did in 93. What do you think?

I think, as others have pointed out, the Valley is a bit different size and demographic wise today. I know I have not been as excited but I haven't been a big NBA fan for a few years. I don't get out much these days and am retired so I don't know if there is excitement on the street or watercooler talk on the Suns or not.

Back in '93 I went to Australia and stayed with a family in Adelaide. They had a couple of young teen boys and when they learned I was from Phoenix it was all "Charles Barkley! The Suns!". So, at least in Australia, the '93 Suns were known and loved (because of Barkley mostly).

I am not currently in Australia or likely to be there anytime soon, so I can't attest to the Suns' popularity today. This thread just took me down Memory Lane to a really exciting and wonderful time as a Suns fan.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When can we expect the road side stands with Finals merch? I remember the Suns being everything and everywhere back in 93.

It started at such a higher level in 93 with the trade for Barkley and watching him on the Dream Team during the summer as we waited for his arrival to the Valley.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The arena definitely seems crazier, but I don’t think the town is pulsing everywhere like it was in 1993. Every day, I usually just take a drive around 4 pm for an hour or so to listen to some Suns talk and I’ve yet to see ONE Suns flag from the window of car in over a MONTH of being here. In 1993, you had banners EVERYWHERE, on buildings, billboards... that HUGE Suns Barkley Jersey hung over the 15 foot high statue of the rising Phoenix outside Houston’s. I see some pop-ups selling merchandise on a couple corners, but I’ll say this... and I HATE to say it, when I lived in LA and the Lakers routinely made the Finals you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing those annoying AF yellow Laker mini-flags flapping in the wind on so many damn cars it would want to make you puke.

been pretty surprised, especially

For posterity, I didn't see Lakers flags around everywhere last year.

This might be the new norm.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For posterity, I didn't see Lakers flags around everywhere last year.

This might be the new norm.

that was during the pandemic, when the Finals were kind of an after thought for everything. Even my friends who were Laker fans were subdued about the run. And I still saw more flags for the Lakers.

You’re right that it’s definitely not the same level as 2010 and everything previous, but still more than in Phoenix. I mean... I’ve been here for over a month and don’t think I’ve seen ONE Suns flag. And it’s not for lack of looking as I drive around listening to Suns radio.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
that was during the pandemic, when the Finals were kind of an after thought for everything. Even my friends who were Laker fans were subdued about the run. And I still saw more flags for the Lakers.

You’re right that it’s definitely not the same level as 2010 and everything previous, but still more than in Phoenix. I mean... I’ve been here for over a month and don’t think I’ve seen ONE Suns flag. And it’s not for lack of looking as I drive around listening to Suns radio.

Well the pandemic was still mostly going on for most of the season too.

Maybe it's a carry over effect?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the pandemic was still mostly going on for most of the season too.

Maybe it's a carry over effect?

could be. I also think the point made earlier about this team going from zero to hero in the literal blink of an eye might have something to do with it as opposed to 93 when the Barkley trade just lit the city on fire from the Olympics on.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In ‘93 the Suns had also been to the playoffs the four previous seasons, during which they had finally gotten past the Lakers, and made the conference finals twice. So even though Barkley made them a national story the local fans were already like crazed Portland fans.

But I’ve always posted that 1990 was my favorite year in that era. In a way this year is a little like that. But maybe CP brings something of the Barkley addition (not to say they are similar players or personalities; quite the opposite).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My experience has been interesting outside of AZ. As stated I’ve got flags flying on the cars and I’ve been wearing a lot of suns T-shirt’s and hats. Almost everywhere I go people give me a thumbs up or yell “go suns!” And this is in Orange County which is LA sports territory and we knocked BOTH of their teams. Also almost all my buddies from college and law school across the country have let me know they’re cheering for suns or are watching them . . . well, everyone but my friend who grew up in Wisconsin, went to university of Wisconsin, is a diehard packers and bucks fan and will have to take a pic in my amare jersey and send me the best cheese in Wisconsin when we wrap up the finals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience has been interesting outside of AZ. As stated I’ve got flags flying on the cars and I’ve been wearing a lot of suns T-shirt’s and hats. Almost everywhere I go people give me a thumbs up or yell “go suns!” And this is in Orange County which is LA sports territory and we knocked BOTH of their teams. Also almost all my buddies from college and law school across the country have let me know they’re cheering for suns or are watching them . . . well, everyone but my friend who grew up in Wisconsin, went to university of Wisconsin, is a diehard packers and bucks fan and will have to take a pic in my amare jersey and send me the best cheese in Wisconsin when we wrap up the finals.
Every single one of my friends of other teams, including Lakers, but one is rooting for us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Last years Lakers win was very muted. Granted, the Pandemic kind of ruined everything, but I also think LBJ doesn't have the draw that other Lakers greats had.

he doesn’t. Those fans destroyed him for too long in the inane Kobe is better debate to ever REALLY embrace him as one of their own and He’s too much of a mercenary. That title felt more like LeBRon winning than the Lakers winning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose