Are getting the same vibe now as in 1993?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In ‘93 the Suns had also been to the playoffs the four previous seasons, during which they had finally gotten past the Lakers, and made the conference finals twice. So even though Barkley made them a national story the local fans were already like crazed Portland fans.

But I’ve always posted that 1990 was my favorite year in that era. In a way this year is a little like that. But maybe CP brings something of the Barkley addition (not to say they are similar players or personalities; quite the opposite).

The 1990 Playoffs are what ignited the City - I can remember being part of the tens of thousands at the Airport greeting the Suns after they knocked off the Lakers in Inglewood to win the series

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vibe is there, it’s just expressed differently. I can’t go 20 minutes without somebody wanting to talk Suns with me and it’s fantastic. Long timers like myself reminisce fondly about the car flags and roadside merch since it gives us a small time Americana feel, must admit it’s a bit of an illusion (Phoenix was still a top ten city in population then). The flag waiving has given way to internet communities, the merch stands to online convenience. Even before the playoff run the fanbase had really embraced The Valley aesthetic far more than any of the other minor rebrands the Suns have recently tried, now that look is inseparable from this team (and we can only hope, a title) much as the 90s sunbursts scream Barkley and Thunder. The jerseys are paradoxically both everywhere and impossible to find.

I mean of course I don’t feel exactly the same way as in 1993 since I’m not 8 years old anymore (bet most ASFNers were in grade school that year) but this is something that has clearly shaken the valley awake and there are few cities in America that deserve it like this one. I do wonder if a lot of kids today are getting the same out of this as we did in 1993. It was basically all my friends talked about then. My kid isn’t school age yet so I don’t really have a frame of reference on that. Hopefully this is sparking the same kind of forever goodwill with the a good number of the next generation as it did with my own.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The sports scene felt smaller then for sure. I remember going to an ASU game when some of my friends were at a birthday party at Big Surf and they said there was cheering every time the fireworks went off because they knew the Devils had scored. This was an early non-conference game as well.

Getting all the big leagues has been cool too, but I’ve always enjoyed seeing sports and smaller places since then to recapture some of that feeling. Likewise I enjoy stories about the 70s Suns and WAC football.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think the tell-tale sign of how the Valley is really viewing this year's team, is if they win the championship, will their parade be larger than the 1993 1st Loser Parade we gave Chuck and Co.? That has to be one of the craziest things I've ever witnessed.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think part of it is this. I also think it’s been so long since the love affair with the suns has been reignited that frankly this took many in the valley by surprise and many are playing catch-up. In 93 we had been a good team for 5 years and just got Charles and were being trumpeted as a finals bound team. It felt more like a coronation by a community that had been working towards it for 5 years or so.

this.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think part of it is this. I also think it’s been so long since the love affair with the suns has been reignited that frankly this took many in the valley by surprise and many are playing catch-up. In 93 we had been a good team for 5 years and just got Charles and were being trumpeted as a finals bound team. It felt more like a coronation by a community that had been working towards it for 5 years or so.

Agreed...CP3 didn't get the same Harley ride into the Snakepit during a Rattlers game!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed...CP3 didn't get the same Harley ride into the Snakepit during a Rattlers game!

tsk...tsk... that was actually Danny Ainge who got the Harley Ride at the Rattlers game. I know because I was there!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was visiting Phoenix during the games in 93 and I was tremendously impressed by the Suns fans.

Not seeing anything near that level now. I wish I were. Had all kinds of fun here in 93 and I wasn’t even a Suns fan then.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
The biggest difference to me is that in 1993 as fans we sort of expected the Suns to be a title contender and go far in the playoffs. Seattle and had a good teams, but the Suns were clearly the best team in the West and we expected to get to the Finals.

This year we were in a position where we were just happy for a playoff appearance and as the year went on, maybe advancing to the second round. Anything beyond that was gravy.

But the real crazy year was 1976......

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
93 was my first year at ASU. It was my first year in AZ, moving from ABQ to live with my brother who was already at ASU.
I remember it being nuts that summer. I was fresh out of high school with a fake ID. I remember going to the bars and they would be crazy for the games, especially the finals. We would go down to Cheyenne Cattle Co at the Az Center and downtown was electric.
It was my introduction into the Phx sports scene and I have been hooked ever since. This has been a long time coming for me but there are some of you that have been waiting even longer, so hats off to you guys.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Watching the 1992-93 Finals games on youtube. This year's PHX team would have smoked the 1993 PHX team.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Watching the 1992-93 Finals games on youtube. This year's PHX team would have smoked the 1993 PHX team.
I just watched game 4 which was MJ’s double-nickel game and it’s crazy how bad the Suns looked outside of Barkley/Dumas. Chambers went 1-9 and missed 3 dunks which were unforgivable missed honestly.

Despite that the Suns were down 2 pts with the ball with 30 seconds left with a chance to tie or take the lead. Ainge inbounds the ball to KJ and he flat out whiffs on the catch. Jordan gets it, goes down the court for an and-1 and game over.

It’s at 19:00 of the video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media