Aquaman

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Outside of The Rock and Bad Boys (my favorites) there were some moments in Armageddon and Pearl Harbor. The island was mediocre at best.

Outside of that? Bay movies have sucked! From what I heard the best thing about Bumblebee is Bay only produced.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  2. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

But that’s not the conversation. And you are wrong about the Island. :)

3. Covert Rain

Well the conversation is you setting the bar really low for Aquaman and IMO it’s clearly better then the vast majority of Bay’s crap. So it’s not a good comparison IMO.

In terms of the Island. I so wanted it to be great. Loved the idea and the cast but it just fizzled and didn’t ever reach its potential. Not awful by any means but disappointing.

4. Chaplin

Seems pretty simple. You said Aquaman was better than anything Bay did. I disagreed and gave two examples why I disagreed. Seems pretty black and white to me.

5. Covert Rain

True but I also clarified with a few examples of my own. The overall point stands. It’s a poor comparison when Aquaman is clearly better than the vast majority of Bay’s crap.

6. Chaplin

Aah, see, you changed what you said. And yes, I agree with that, it is better than the majority if Bay’s stuff. Just not all.

7. Covert Rain

By the way......I am probably a bigger fan of Pearl Harbor than most. Only because at the time the DVD came out it was a beast for a surround sound demo to show off.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  8. Chaplin

I absolutely loved the trailer for Pearl, so the movie was a big let down.

Stout likes this.
  9. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

GOD yes! This was before all the big spoilers used to come out so early. My friend and I were STOKED to see this. Two days beforehand we heard rumors that it was a terrible chick flick with massive bloat. Nervous but skeptical of these rumors, we still went. Blech!

10. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

saw this on monday. Loved it. Big win for DC. will watch it again, several times I am sure, as soon as it hits hbo

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I have really mixed thoughts on this one.

It was fun.

Visually very engaging.

Agree that he didn’t stay consistently enough in “bro” mode and that’s a shame because it was such a hero departure character which was fun and refreshing.

Bullets and knives can’t hurt him unless it’s atlantean steel? What is he WaterSuperman? I kinda hate it when they essentially make each hero supreme on their own. I like that different heroes are differing levels of powerful. I think they too overpowered him.

Thought it was stupid:

-different Atlantans evolved so differently so as to become creatures. Cmon. I know this is make believe, but . . . well . . . C’MON!

-even among some Atlantans only highborn can breath air. Now why the hell would that happen?!?

-the entire creation of essentially an entirely different world in the deep with an equally large Atlantan population and all those enormous creatures never seen, and that giant thing guarding the trident - ugh there was just too much wildly disconnected from reality crap thrown against the wall for my liking.

12. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Saw this today and thought it was good but not great. My knock was that it was a tad too long(2h 23min). Other than that, here's my take without spoiling too much(if I get into spoiler territory I will be sure to warn):

The Characters: Mamoa was good, not great. I get what the DCEU is trying to do. It's trying to distance itself from the cheesy 70's cartoon version which is so bad that Raj Koothrapppali was willing to dress up as Wonder Woman instead so this version is a 180° change from that one and according to my wife, he's eye candy. Amber Heard in a skin tight green scale suit, 'nuf said there. She's very, very hot in this movie. Nichole Kidman was OK although I've never been a big fan of hers to begin with. Willem Defoe, was nice to see him not the villain this time. Dolph Lungren was a surprise. Took me a minute to recognize him. And I thought Patrick Wilson did well as Ocean Master. Nothing earth shattering but he pulled it off. Now, where I was disappointed in was Black Manta. Don't get me wrong, loved the actor and the character itself(probably one of the most underrated DC villains) but we didn't see enough of him and quite frankly, he was reduced to being just a McGuffin. All in all, though, and this is what DC movies do well at, the characters have depth. Oh, and it was good to see Temuera Morrison again(Jango Fett).

The Plot: Not a great plot and as I said, Manta was grossly underused and, as I said, his inclusion was nothing more than a distraction and a McGuffin. It really didn't add anything to the story but to slow Arthur and Mera up a tad. The true story in this movie was the battle between brothers but all in all it wasn't a great story but it played out well thanks to the visual and special effects.

Action: The fight scenes were good but the final battle was a bit over the top although I got a kick seeing things I got to fight in DC Universe Online(Ocean Master or Aquaman and the Briny Hulks. Manta too but he keeps whupping my all). And to see Aquaman on a seahorse did make me chuckle.

Grade: Solid C+ to B-. Wonder Woman was better but this was good as well. Those who say they outright didn't like it are either biased toward Marvel or who are so jaded by DC's inconsistent movie making to admit that although they didn't hit a home run here they got a solid double at least. I would have graded it higher had they either just gone with Black Manta or Ocean Master arc but putting Manta in just slowed the pace a tad.

Again, Amber Heard. Yowza!

[​IMG]