Anyone wish Amare well in NY?

Amare on the Knicks...What do you think?

• I want Amare to do well in NY

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • I hope he stinks up the place

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Amare who? Who cares!

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm really curious to see how Amare does on the Knicks next season. I was wondering too about your thoughts and/or predictions about Amare or the Knicks in general.

Personally I don't think Stoudemire can hack it being the focal point on offense. Not only did Nash help with Amares offense but the Suns numerous offensive weapons in general helped take pressure/attention off him. Now opposing teams will zero in on him BIG TIME. His ppg will probably be about the same but I'm sure his FG% will go way down. He better finally learn how to pass the ball around and get some assists or it will be a long season...especailly if his turnovers outnumber his assists. :D

I'd laugh my butt off if Amare flopped in NY! :biglaugh:

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish him well. He wasn't perfect but all told he was a very good player for us. I wish he had kept his mouth shut a little more but he tried to do and say the right things while he was here. Also, his teammates liked him and respected him and that should tell you something about the guy. As for New York, he can't win games without quality players around him but even if he's playing with sub-par teammates he'll still get his points.

Steve

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely hope he does well (although I doubt the Knicks will). In the interviews I've read, he's remained positive about the Suns and his experience here and he's wishing us well, too.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the option, "No, but only because I hate the Knicks"?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I say yes. He gave us a lot of good memories. Wish one of those was of him hoisting a trophy but alas it was not meant to be.

Always wish him well though, it's not like he's Jason Kidd. :p jk

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no ill feelings towards Amare. If anything, I feel sorry for him because New York will not be very good this year. He's always tried to be a leader, so I don't see any problems there, but he still is a mediocre at best defensive player and there's a lot more pressure in that city being the absolute #1 guy. 5 straight games of subpar rebounding and he's going to hear about it. Add to that the possibility of friction between him and D'Antoni, and it might be a looooong year for him.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope Amare and/or the Knicks stink in general for the following reasons....

1) Flat out it would be far funnier if the whole thing fell apart in NY. Its not as funny if Amare somehow elevated the Knicks to the playoffs or something.

2) I want Knicks fans to be utterly disgusted by his 100 million dollar contract. That rediculous contract should hang over Amares head his whole time there...hopefully

3) I dont want Knicks fans to have a reason to shoot thier mouths off...I dont want Amare to have a break out type season and have their fans rubbing it in.

4) Amare needs a reality/ego check. His {offensive} numbers were definately inflated due to the system he was in and the teammates he had surrounding him. He needs to be brought back to earth in a major way.

I dont totally hate on Amare because he was good in certain areas and would have been a keeper if the price was right...but since he was paid crazy money and is being elevated to "savior status"...They can keep that nonsense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Amare and/or the Knicks stink in general for the following reasons....

1) Flat out it would be far funnier if the whole thing fell apart in NY. Its not as funny if Amare somehow elevated the Knicks to the playoffs or something.

2) I want Knicks fans to be utterly disgusted by his 100 million dollar contract. That rediculous contract should hang over Amares head his whole time there...hopefully

3) I dont want Knicks fans to have a reason to shoot thier mouths off...I dont want Amare to have a break out type season and have their fans rubbing it in.

4) Amare needs a reality/ego check. His {offensive} numbers were definately inflated due to the system he was in and the teammates he had surrounding him. He needs to be brought back to earth in a major way.

I dont totally hate on Amare because he was good in certain areas and would have been a keeper if the price was right...but since he was paid crazy money and is being elevated to "savior status"...They can keep that nonsense.

Good thing you told us you don't totally hate on Amare because otherwise we'd have probably drawn the wrong conclusion.

He played hard for this franchise and worked his butt off to come back from multiple injuries. He stayed out of trouble and for the most part did and said all the right things. He put his foot in his mouth a couple of times but considering his upbringing and total lack of role models I'd say he turned into a remarkable adult. He was active in the community and although he benefitted from Nash he definitely made us a better team.

I'm certainly capable of being petty and holding a grudge but I see no reason to do it with this guy. I still hate the Knicks but I seriously wish Amare the best.

Steve

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I marked "No", but I shouldn't have. I respect what he did when he thanked the fans as an outgoing player. I hated his constant loafing and the offseason bravado and bloviating, but his last act towards the Suns and the fans was high class, so I have to give him extra credit on that. You really don't see gestures like that often, if at all.

However, I don't expect him to hit more than 44% of his shots and he'll likely average his 21/9 and Knicks fans won't be too happy. He may be happy to be back with D'Antoni, but Nash accounted for much of his on-court efficacy. He's gonna slide back without Nash....

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good thing you told us you don't totally hate on Amare because otherwise we'd have probably drawn the wrong conclusion.

He played hard for this franchise and worked his butt off to come back from multiple injuries. He stayed out of trouble and for the most part did and said all the right things. He put his foot in his mouth a couple of times but considering his upbringing and total lack of role models I'd say he turned into a remarkable adult. He was active in the community and although he benefitted from Nash he definitely made us a better team.

I'm certainly capable of being petty and holding a grudge but I see no reason to do it with this guy. I still hate the Knicks but I seriously wish Amare the best.

Steve

He certainly didn't "work his butt off" when it came to rebounding and defense. He was good offensively but he had help for sure with Nash etc etc.. Lets see how it goes with him playing as a solo act.

Far as his community work (what did he do??)...I dont much care about that. I'm not looking for Mother Teresa to be our PowerForward...I just wanted him to play like a big should...rebound, defend, and score.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
However, I don't expect him to hit more than 44% of his shots and he'll likely average his 21/9 and Knicks fans won't be too happy. He may be happy to be back with D'Antoni, but Nash accounted for much of his on-court efficacy. He's gonna slide back without Nash....

I was thinking about 45% FG myself athough he might average more than 21 ppg because he'll be fed the ball constantly.

Last edited:

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if the Knicks lose every game. I have felt this way since the Pat Ewing days and Spike Lee was trash talking from courtside.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Some of you guys would be happy stuffing puppies in a burlap bag and beating it with sticks, huh? :D

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some of you guys would be happy stuffing puppies in a burlap bag and beating it with sticks, huh? :D

The only "stuffing" I remember is Amare getting the ball stuffed back in his face during the playoffs...by midgets even. :lol:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only "stuffing" I remember is Amare getting the ball stuffed back in his face during the playoffs...by midgets even. :lol:

He had a bad series against the Lakers, no way to disguise that fact. Still, he played in a lot of playoff games for the Suns and even if you factor in this years disappointing finish, Amare consistently stepped his game up come playoff time.

If you really feel the need to be bitter and petty I'd stick to some fact about his regular season play for justification as your playoff slam falls well short of reasonable. I'm glad that he didn't sign with us because the risk was just too great but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate what he's done for us. Of course, it doesn't mean you can't hate on him either.

Steve

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Just like other players it was great having him as a Phoenix Suns player, but I really don't care how he does for his new team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wish one of those was of him hoisting a trophy but alas it was not meant to be.
Who is it that "meant it to be" or didn't mean it to be? Is there an NBA deity behind the clouds? The closest to that would be David Stern.

Hoping or waiting for something to happen have put the Suns in a very passive position for decades.

Championships are won by teams who recognize what it takes to win and takes those steps -- thus winning favor with the league's powers that be and the Press and fans.

in other words, Amar'e could have hoisted a trophy if the Suns had put a Center next to him, keeping him at his natural position of Power Forward -- where he would be less prone to foul trouble (which made him gun shy on defense) and injury -- both of which cut into his playing time.

So I guess the conclusion is that it was not meant to be by his own team management.

D'Antoni's dysfunctional Knicks don't look to be any different than D'Antoni's dysfunctional Suns. Which is why I voted that I really un-care.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He had a bad series against the Lakers, no way to disguise that fact. Still, he played in a lot of playoff games for the Suns and even if you factor in this years disappointing finish, Amare consistently stepped his game up come playoff time.

Steve

Amare averaged 6.6 rebounds for the entire 2010 playoffs...Thats stepping it up??

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare averaged 6.6 rebounds for the entire 2010 playoffs...Thats stepping it up??

It's not nice to alter a person's argument and then ridicule said person for the revised argument.

There is a world of difference between "consistently steps up" and "steps up every single time". Throughout his career, Amare has consistently stepped up his game in the postseason. This year was an anomaly made more obvious by the final series against the Lakers where he was clearly outclassed by the opposition.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
I believe Amare will prove his haters wrong, despite playing for DA.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Way to cherry pick. Amare drew constant double teams freeing up other people, scored in bunches at times and generally gave teams fits trying to guard him. He helped more then hurt the Suns. Your acting like he wasn't a huge part of the teams success after he got here.

I hope Amare does well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose