Anyone have a Ring doorbell?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Just got one (discount from my homeowners insurance) and really liking it!

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have one and I haven't had the best of luck, I'm on my second unit and I almost reached out to Hollywood to see what he knew about these things

First, my old doorbell was DC which Ring says will not power their bells, so I was going to have to charge my Ring bell every once in awhile. I thought that would be ok, so I installed it and was done. Then I realized it sucked not having any noise in the house (we only got our alerts on our phones so if our phones were on vibrate, it was easy to miss someone at the door).

So off to Home Depot I went to purchase a transformer and an AC doorbell. Installed both and the doorbell would not stop ringing. I called Ring support and spent a few hours on the phone with them, the girl was nice, said she would send me a new Ring bell and Chime (I never got the chime). New Ring doorbell arrives, I install it, and immediately the doorbell starts ringing and doesn't stop.

I reversed the diode, reversed the power wires, and basically tried everything I could think of short of installing a resistor. So, we have our Ring, but it is not powered and we have no indoor notification other than our phones. Eventually, I will probably buy a Ring Chime so we have indoor notification, but they were on backorder on Amazon the other day.

I really want to like it, and it has worked well, I just wish I could get it to work with my doorbells so we could have indoor notifications.

That said, the video is really clear, but the audio on ours seems to be somewhat delayed when speaking to someone.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I hard-wired mine to my previous doorbell so it does ring inside. Sometimes the notifications are delayed a bit - I blame it on Cox, lol

My only gripe is that the doorbell is to the side of the door, on the wall which faces out. I'm on an end unit, so there's a a common area next to me where people park and it catches motion every time someone parks there.

I also got one of those signs to stake into the ground which is solar powered so it lights up at night. Not sure if it always includes that, or just a throw in bonus because it was purchased thru my insurance.

Since it faces S/W, I hope it doesn't melt during the summer!

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I had to adjust the notifications because I would get notified every time a car would drive down the street lol. I did not get the sign.

For anyone who is interested, Costco.com has a bundle right now with 1 year of cloud, the chime, and the doorbell for $149.99. That's a much better deal than what i paid.