Anyone else watching the Summer game on now?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - Zarko is impressive. He handles the ball well for a 6'11 guy and has no fear of slashing to the inside.

Barbosa looks really rough. I don't think you can foul out in summer league, but he is getting owned by the Knicks PG.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
Wow - Zarko is impressive. He handles the ball well for a 6'11 guy and has no fear of slashing to the inside.

Barbosa looks really rough. I don't think you can foul out in summer league, but he is getting owned by the Knicks PG.

What channel is it on?!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Re: Re: Anyone else watching the Summer game on now?

Originally posted by Evil Ash
What channel is it on?!

Nevermind I found it ... its on NBA TV a station I don't get!

Grrrrrrrrr.....:evil:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
NBA Inside Ticket has a free 14 day trial and is showing the game now. If you cancel within 14 days it's free.

You start by going to nba.com and clicking on NBA Inside Ticket.

Once you are finished with the install you click on "more" arrows (from your options of what to watch) until you can click "NBA TV". Then click on "summer league" and click on the Suns game where it says "Live".

It looks like you can go back and watch older games that have been broadcast on NBA TV for the summer league also.

You can also resize the screen so that it's reasonably large (but a little fuzzier of course).

You still need a valid credit card for the registration however. Too bad I only have a Maestro Bank Card.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My thoughts

Cabarkapa seems to be more of a slasher than a shooter. He did make a couple of outside shots, but he got most of his points going to the basket. He is quick and aggressive and not a bad leaper, so all of those things are good. Certainly he isn't strong, but overall he's much more athletic than I suspected. The scouting reports that said he's afraid of contact seem to have been wrong -- I didn't notice anything like that. When he gets the ball, his instinct is to go the hoop, and he has a lot of ways of getting there. I hope he turns out to be a better shooter, because otherwise defenses will lay off of him, the same as they do against most of the team on the perimeter.

It was difficult to evaluate anyone's defense, because the Suns were in a zone a lot of the time and the Knicks were bombing away from the outside. Cabarkapa wasn't very good at closing out on Lampe once Lampe got hot, but he moves his feet well and is aware of what's going on. I don't think he'll be too bad defensively, but I wonder whether he'll be strong enough to guard elite power forwards (or centers). He should be okay guarding small forwards, even fairly quick ones.

Barbosa looked awful. His shot is very flat, and he looked uncomfortable even at the free-throw line. He's quick enough, and maybe there are days when his flat, ugly shot goes in, but I have to say he did not make a good first impression at all.

Tsakalidis seemed heavier. Some of it may have been in his upper body, but a lot of it appeared to be around his midsection. But his footwork was a little better and he was anticipating things under the basket better. He's not an offensive option, but I think he can be a defensive presence, if the coaching staff will use him, which of course they won't.

Joe Johnson looked the same. He has a nice-looking shot that doesn't go in quite as often as it should, and he tends to be passive. We all knew that.

Jacobsen also looked the same, although maybe a little smarter overall. In the summer leagues -- I remember this also from last year -- he comes across as a decent player. The Suns had him running the offense (instead of Barbosa) to open the game. At this point I'd have to say that he's ahead of Barbosa on the point guard depth chart (yes, I said point guard).

I don't know whether Voskuhl has been added to the roster, but he didn't play.

Of the unknowns, Felix had a nose for the ball, but his free throws were bricks. Ellis had a good looking shot. Hart looked terrible. Nothing about the other players seemed to merit discussion.

One thing I will say, though. If the Suns go with a lineup of Stoudemire/Cabarkapa/Marion/Johnson/Marbury, and if that lineup can defend at all, they will run the other team out of the building.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw a few highlights from tonight's game. That Cabarkapa split leg dunk was awesome. For those of you who missed it he inbounded the ball to Joe Johnson, ran the length of the court, and caught the basketball in the middle of the lane for a monster dunk.

Joe Mama

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Re: My thoughts

Originally posted by elindholm
Cabarkapa seems to be more of a slasher than a shooter. He did make a couple of outside shots, but he got most of his points going to the basket. He is quick and aggressive and not a bad leaper, so all of those things are good. Certainly he isn't strong, but overall he's much more athletic than I suspected. The scouting reports that said he's afraid of contact seem to have been wrong -- I didn't notice anything like that. When he gets the ball, his instinct is to go the hoop, and he has a lot of ways of getting there. I hope he turns out to be a better shooter, because otherwise defenses will lay off of him, the same as they do against most of the team on the perimeter.

It was difficult to evaluate anyone's defense, because the Suns were in a zone a lot of the time and the Knicks were bombing away from the outside. Cabarkapa wasn't very good at closing out on Lampe once Lampe got hot, but he moves his feet well and is aware of what's going on. I don't think he'll be too bad defensively, but I wonder whether he'll be strong enough to guard elite power forwards (or centers). He should be okay guarding small forwards, even fairly quick ones.

Barbosa looked awful. His shot is very flat, and he looked uncomfortable even at the free-throw line. He's quick enough, and maybe there are days when his flat, ugly shot goes in, but I have to say he did not make a good first impression at all.

Tsakalidis seemed heavier. Some of it may have been in his upper body, but a lot of it appeared to be around his midsection. But his footwork was a little better and he was anticipating things under the basket better. He's not an offensive option, but I think he can be a defensive presence, if the coaching staff will use him, which of course they won't.

Joe Johnson looked the same. He has a nice-looking shot that doesn't go in quite as often as it should, and he tends to be passive. We all knew that.

Jacobsen also looked the same, although maybe a little smarter overall. In the summer leagues -- I remember this also from last year -- he comes across as a decent player. The Suns had him running the offense (instead of Barbosa) to open the game. At this point I'd have to say that he's ahead of Barbosa on the point guard depth chart (yes, I said point guard).

I don't know whether Voskuhl has been added to the roster, but he didn't play.

Of the unknowns, Felix had a nose for the ball, but his free throws were bricks. Ellis had a good looking shot. Hart looked terrible. Nothing about the other players seemed to merit discussion.

One thing I will say, though. If the Suns go with a lineup of Stoudemire/Cabarkapa/Marion/Johnson/Marbury, and if that lineup can defend at all, they will run the other team out of the building.
Sweet thx alot man.

The few highlights I saw on Zarko were impressive... He looked alot more athletic than I originally thought. He seems to move very well and had a descent vertical. I WAS more excited about Barbosa untill now... getting very excited for the season!

hoopdeedofor2

Reaction score
I am still worried about rebounds. No one on the summer team nows how to do this. We SUCK! Even during the regular season this allways seems to be lacking. To bad we can't get Rodman or someone to rebound and have the D. Then when we play the Lakers at least he could frustrate the hell out of Malone.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In those SL-highlights the fluidity of Cabarkapa's movement and his ball-handling skills reminded me of Dirk Nowitzki.

elindholm, how did Frank Williams, Sweetney, Lampe and Carroll play?What did you like and dislike in their play?

I always thought that Matt Carroll is the 2nd coming of Casey Jacobsen and since Carroll went undrafted and Jacobsen was a #22.........

Last edited:

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
elindholm, Cabarkapa is shooting 49% from the field and 37% from three. I don't think teams sagging off of him is going to be a problem; he has a sweet stroke from long range - almost, dare I say, Nowitzki like.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

You can't foul out in summer league. However, after the sixth foul, every foul you make is like a technical. The other team gets a free throw and retains the ball. Just thought you'd like to know. :D

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
elindholm, how did Frank Williams, Sweetney, Lampe and Carroll play?What did you like and dislike in their play?

Williams did a pretty good job finding people, and then he got hot himself at the end of the game. I wasn't overwhelmed with his playmaking, but with the Suns in a zone a lot of the time, his options were less numerous. And when the Suns weren't in a zone, they were trying some stupid halfway press/trap that didn't work at all. So it wasn't really an opportunity for the Knicks point guard to show what he could do, except make shots, which he did.

Sweetney looked undersized; he was not effective on the low block against either Cabarkapa or Tsakalidis. He kept his head up and stayed active, but I really wasn't too impressed with him.

Lampe did nothing until he found his touch from the three-point line, midway (?) through the second half, and that got him going. He's like a stronger Bill Laimbeer. It's weird, because he certainly looks strong enough that he should want to play inside, but actually he prefers the perimeter and is pretty fluid out there. Unfortunately I don't remember the Knicks' defensive matchups, but it's possible that they moved Lampe onto Cabarkapa for the second half in order to shut him down. (Cabarkapa had 11 of his 17 points before halftime, and three of his six second-half points were on a desperation three at the end of the game.)

Edit: One thing about Lampe which I thought was very funny was that he really is not a jumper, as some of us suspected. I'm sure Cabarkapa has a much better vertical. On one play, Lampe was all alone finishing a break at medium speed, and he still just layed the ball in rather than dunk it. A seven-footer who prefers layups! I had to laugh.

Carroll made no impression on me.

I thought the Suns rebounded fine. The box score shows that the rebounds were about even. The Suns didn't have any one player with a lot of rebounds, but that's because everyone was getting in on the act. Tsakalidis had to have pretty good hands (believe it or not!) to come away with his two offensive rebounds, both of which led to dunks.

elindholm, Cabarkapa is shooting 49% from the field and 37% from three.

The three-point shooting is certainly encouraging, but the overall percentage, at least based on what I saw, is inflated by a lot of close-in shots. Which is fine -- I'd much rather see layups than 18-footers -- but if we were imagining a guy who just spots up from the perimeter and makes defenses pay for collapsing, it doesn't really look like that is Cabarkapa's game.

Last edited: