Any fear of a 2021 1st round repeat?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a fake news post. If DVOA has us as the 6th-best team against the run, then the stat is clearly broken. Our run defense absolutely sucked. Everybody knows it. Anybody that watched the games knows it. VJ doesn't care about trying to stop the run, and it showed, to our great detriment, later in the season when teams figured us out and ran it down our throats with wide-open running lanes, very few defensive stops, and long, excruciating drives.

It's simple. We're not good against the run. We're not BUILT to be good against the run.
Well, you asserting it over and over again makes a really strong point that is very well-supported with evidence.

The median NFL team rushed for 115 YPG last season. In the last five games of the season and the playoffs, we allowed less than that twice, and two more times we allowed 126 yards rushing.

We played some really good rushing offenses down the stretch, which might contribute to your impression. The Rams were 11th in rushing DVOA, the Colts were 2nd, Dallas was 13th, Seattle was 6th.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A mix between stephon Diggs and Emanuel Sanders
Athletically, yes. In terms of breakout age, Sanders is in the 79th percentile and Diggs in the 93rd while Dotson is in the 50th. That begs the question, if he is a comparable athlete to those players, why did it take him longer to be successful at the college level?

The cream rises to the top quickly, even in college. If a guy takes longer to produce it can be an indicator that he just isn't that special. In this case, Dotson was playing in games his Freshman and Sophomore years, he just wasn't producing significant stats.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, you asserting it over and over again makes a really strong point that is very well-supported with evidence.

The median NFL team rushed for 115 YPG last season. In the last five games of the season and the playoffs, we allowed less than that twice, and two more times we allowed 126 yards rushing.

We played some really good rushing offenses down the stretch, which might contribute to your impression. The Rams were 11th in rushing DVOA, the Colts were 2nd, Dallas was 13th, Seattle was 6th.
lol Okay. Just sweep past what I and Brit said about situations. Watching the games, and watching us get gashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again because we have nobody in the middle that can stop the run was maddening. But, yeah, we'll go with "we're good against the run."

I mean, you seriously think we don't have any problems stopping the run? Like, you can type that with a straight face? Are you VJ by chance?

Reactions: PJ1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
lol Okay. Just sweep past what I and Brit said about situations. Watching the games, and watching us get gashed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again because we have nobody in the middle that can stop the run was maddening. But, yeah, we'll go with "we're good against the run."

I mean, you seriously think we don't have any problems stopping the run? Like, you can type that with a straight face? Are you VJ by chance?
DVOA is valuable specifically because it takes into account situations.

EDIT: Here's what I see in a different data set. We ranked 17th in Adjusted Line Yards. We're top 10 in stuffed percentage and power success -- which means that we were really good at stopping opponents in short-yardage situations.

Where we could use work is improving on our 31st ranking in second level yards (Yards which opposing team's running backs earn between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries) and our 27th ranking in open field yards (Yards which this team's running backs earn more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries). These stats are not adjusted by opponent, which should speak to some of the differences between the rush defense DVOA and the ALY.

Seems like we prolly need to draft more off-ball linebackers.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I see you dodged the question. Do you actually think we are good at stopping the run on D?
I think the evidence suggests that we are good at slowing the run, or at least good enough that it needn't be a priority over other parts of the defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose