Any fear of a 2021 1st round repeat?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just saw Peter Schrager's mock draft and he has the Cardinals drafting Jahan Dotson.

It seems like the closer we get to draft all the high-caliber players (IMO) are going to be gone like last year by the time we pick.

In Schrager's mock there was a run on WRs and Olineman. So guys we hoped for like Olave, Zion Johnson and Burks were gone. I like Dotson but he seems more like a 2nd round pick. I know Olave, Jameson Williams, and Wilson arent huge guys but they at least seem like they have the frames to get bigger. Dotson looks like another smallish guy added to the Cardinals' WR core.

Idk. Hail Murray might have cost us a chance to get a Rashawn Slater or Vera Tucker. The Vikings missed kick might cost a chance at Zion Johnson or Burks.

Last edited:

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
Dotson's redeeming trait is that he has really good hands/ball-skills. That deviates from the Keim mold, so it's unlikely we draft him. I'm banking on a middling corner.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The only real knock you see repeatedly against Dotson is his strength against press coverage. Everything else from speed to route running to separation to solid hands is very good. He's also a very good punt returner.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I live in Penn State country. Dotson is an excellent WR, even though I would prefer a bigger WR or a stud DT.
Right there with you, PA. He's nails, but the wrong kind of receiver for us. The speed and hands ARE what we need, but we also need a tall, outside guy that can compete for the jump balls, too. That's not his game. Plus, we already have Rondale Moore. While I think he's WORLDS better than RM, it doesn't change our roster composition atm.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right there with you, PA. He's nails, but the wrong kind of receiver for us. The speed and hands ARE what we need, but we also need a tall, outside guy that can compete for the jump balls, too. That's not his game. Plus, we already have Rondale Moore. While I think he's WORLDS better than RM, it doesn't change our roster composition atm.
Christian Watson can be the guy
Tall
Fast
Great Route runner

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there will be better players than Dotson when the Cards pick at #23. They won't reach for a WR even though it is a need. There are lots of good edge rushers in the draft and they could certainly pick one and go WR in round 2 or even Rd 3.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I could be talked into Dotson. I've seen more smaller guys become good than the bigger guys (6'3+).

I do like speed, and Dotson has that.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I could be talked into Dotson. I've seen more smaller guys become good than the bigger guys (6'3+).

I do like speed, and Dotson has that.
And this offense absolutely needs to add more speed. It was already lacking in speed last year with Kirk and Edmonds. Without them, it is going to look painfully slow.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Why even watch the draft if they are going to take another midget at WR. Not saying Dotson is not good but he does not round off the Cards offense appropriately based on his size. We need a freaking outside WR with length and some of that speed as well. WRs, CBs, it's the same idiocy if that's the selection. A collection of slot WRs, nickel corners which our Cards then move to the outside which lack the physicality for the parameters... this is really bumming me out for the draft because Peter Schrager is not that savvy, he has friends in our front office which is how you get this right again and again which I hope then I am wrong and he's another Roy Green

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If all those WR's are on the board at 15, trade up and get one.

Actually, I'd try and trade up to 12 and get Stingley jr.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And this offense absolutely needs to add more speed. It was already lacking in speed last year with Kirk and Edmonds. Without them, it is going to look painfully slow.
I think the offense had quite a bit of speed when healthy. Kirk, Edmonds, Moore, and Murray can all scoot.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why even watch the draft if they are going to take another midget at WR. Not saying Dotson is not good but he does not round off the Cards offense appropriately based on his size. We need a freaking outside WR with length and some of that speed as well. WRs, CBs, it's the same idiocy if that's the selection. A collection of slot WRs, nickel corners which our Cards then move to the outside which lack the physicality for the parameters... this is really bumming me out for the draft because Peter Schrager is not that savvy, he has friends in our front office which is how you get this right again and again which I hope then I am wrong and he's another Roy Green
Sometimes adding good players is more important than fit though. Dotson has played outside.

Think about through the years how many teams have chased that 6'3 WR who ended up sucking. So many of those guys are the busts, because it's harder to have good hips as a taller dude.

What I see when I run the Mock Draft simulators is that all of the top receivers are LONG gone by the Cardinals pick in round 2. If you believe that WR is a huge need, you almost have to take a guy in round one. Same with interior OL. The top guys are long gone. At least with edge, there should be a decent edge player available in round 2.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sometimes adding good players is more important than fit though. Dotson has played outside.

Think about through the years how many teams have chased that 6'3 WR who ended up sucking. So many of those guys are the busts, because it's harder to have good hips as a taller dude.

What I see when I run the Mock Draft simulators is that all of the top receivers are LONG gone by the Cardinals pick in round 2. If you believe that WR is a huge need, you almost have to take a guy in round one. Same with interior OL. The top guys are long gone. At least with edge, there should be a decent edge player available in round 2.
Well let's put it this way. I want a interior OL guy first and will settle for a WR but we better not go CB :raccoon:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well let's put it this way. I want a interior OL guy first and will settle for a WR but we better not go CB :raccoon:
I think adding another IOL could take this group up to another level.

But the problem is we already kind of know how the OL will work out...the Cardinals are currently down two WRs. That's a pretty big need.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How many of these WR’s are true 1st round value? Maybe only a handful:
Drake London, 6’4, 218
I see boom or bust. Definitely not fast, but uses his body well. Good with the back shoulder passes, but may struggle with press coverage. I don’t like his fit in our offense.

Chris Olave, 6’0, 188
Emmanual Sanders type. He’s ready to play on day 1, but probably a 2WR. Doesn‘t have blazing speed, but is a great route runner. Doesn’t have great ball skills, is slender and plays slender, but probably will not bust. He’s an INCH taller than Dotson. He would give us immediate results, but he’s more of a slot guy, not a perimeter guy.

Jameson Williams, 6’ 1.5”, 183
scheme fit - vertical, long strider. DeSean Jackson comp. Coming off ACL injury, so won’t be available right away. Speed guy coming off a major knee injury. Not what the Cardinals need at this stage in the game.

Garrett Wilson, 6’0, 185
Another guy that is only an inch taller than Dotson. He‘s a Stefon Diggs type, but will be long gone by the time we draft. He plays bigger than his frame & fits any scheme. Probably the 1st WR taken.

Treylon Burks, 6’2, 225
If we’re going to try to trade up, this is the guy we pursue. Especially if we want a perimeter guy. Not a 40 guy, but has GAME speed. Great shiftiness, very powerful, and strong hands. He’s an AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel type. Not the smoothest of route runners.

Johan Dotson, 5’11, 175
Great wiggle, natural separation skills, great hands & great ball skills. Lockett type receiver. Not blazing speed, but good speed. Can play on the outside, but not afraid of the middle either. He’s an ideal 2WR. Even though he’s slight, he’s been very durable.

I wouldn’t use a 1st round pick on any of the other WR’s that get mentioned (Watson, Metchie, Moore, Pickens). Unless, we trade up, the only WR that I think will be there is possibly Dotson, my preference is Burks, but I would take Dotson over London, even though London is big. I like a couple of the DT’s in that range where we pick, but I think the real DL difference makers will be gone. Same applies to the Corners. Hopefully, the Cardinals select the best available from the following positions: DL, OL, WR, CB.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Antonio Brown - 5-10, 185lb​

Tyreek Hill - 5-10, 185lb

Stefon Diggs - 6-0, 191lb

Odell Beckham Jr. - 5-11, 198lb

Hunter Renfrow - 5-10, 185lb​

Tyler Lockett - 5-10, 182lb​

Jahan Dotson - 5' 11", 184 lbs

Somehow I could easily live with Dotson at #23. I imagine they could add 5-10 pounds onto Dotson without hampering his speed or elusiveness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose