Any fear of a 2021 1st round repeat?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is a small guy with bad hands even being talked about as anything other than a 5th-7th round selection? White, good sized receiver doesn’t automatically equal cooper kupp.
He’s not white & he’s not small.

You have to be thinking of someone else.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watson is tall, but doesn’t do well with contested catches. He played 4 years at NDST, but didn’t make any impact until year 4. Even with Trey Lance there, he wasn’t a factor. He has average hands, and doesn’t use his body well at all. He’s definitely not a 1st round value, but most definitely will not be there when we pick in the 2nd round. I pray the Cardinals don’t take him in the 1st round.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. Olave is NFL ready, and has a low bust potential, but he‘s a WR2 at best. I also think he’s a slot WR, which ideally, is not what we so desperately need. I don’t think Olave is there at 23.
The Cardinals need a player fitting exactly what you are describing...except I think Olave is an outside receiver in this offense.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why? He never passed 1000 in college despite being a 3 year starter.

I just don't get it with Olave. I think he's massively overrated.

How many top NFL receivers started for 3 years but never topped 1k?

How many great WR's were WR1 as a sophomore but WR3 as a senior?
Pandemic caused them to only play 7 games his Jr year. Still put up 700+ yards so he was dominant.

Would have put up 1000 yards this year if he played the bowl game.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Olave won’t drop to us though.
We need the Falcons and Jets not to draft a WR.

Hopefully, Saleh is caught up wanting Thibodaux and Gardner. There are some who think the Eagles are going all defense with their two picks as well.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need the Falcons and Jets not to draft a WR.

Hopefully, Saleh is caught up wanting Thibodaux and Gardner. There are some who think the Eagles are going all defense with their two picks as well.
Those teams cannot draft WRs & still the touted 1st round WRs could be gone before our pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why? He never passed 1000 in college despite being a 3 year starter.
NFL plays more games.
I just don't get it with Olave. I think he's massively overrated.
No one is acting like he is a top five pick.
How many top NFL receivers started for 3 years but never topped 1k?
Circumstances aren't always the same. The Ohio State University has an embarrassment of riches at WR. The best guy didn't even come out.
How many great WR's were WR1 as a sophomore but WR3 as a senior?
The other guys are that good. Wilson might go top five! That doesn't happen every draft. It's actually kind of rare.

And the guy who stayed is a monster, Smith-Njiba and was the QBs favorite guy.

Olave still paced the team with 13 TDs. One of the biggest follies I see from some football nuts is that they overrated yards and underrate TDs. I'd take a 1000 yard receiver with 15 TDs over a 1500 yard receiver with 8 TDs.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A
NFL plays more games.

No one is acting like he is a top five pick.

Circumstances aren't always the same. The Ohio State University has an embarrassment of riches at WR. The best guy didn't even come out.

The other guys are that good. Wilson might go top five! That doesn't happen every draft. It's actually kind of rare.

And the guy who stayed is a monster, Smith-Njiba and was the QBs favorite guy.

Olave still paced the team with 13 TDs. One of the biggest follies I see from some football nuts is that they overrated yards and underrate TDs. I'd take a 1000 yard receiver with 15 TDs over a 1500 yard receiver with 8 TDs.
Definitely and he had 3 straight season averaging 800+ yards and 10+ tds for season, without playing the full schedule
And his numbers are even better against top competitors
Scoring machine

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I just did my first 2 round mock for this year. This was the best we could do, CB and DT. I am not fond of our position in this draft either.

Trent McDuffie CB Washington
Travis Jones DL UConn

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Those teams cannot draft WRs & still the touted 1st round WRs could be gone before our pick.
Depends on what the Commanders and Texans do as well.

If Olave somehow drops to 21 and the Patriots intend to go defense you call them and ask for a trade up.

I rather give up a pick than force a player lower on our board (assuming that's the case)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pandemic caused them to only play 7 games his Jr year. Still put up 700+ yards so he was dominant.

Would have put up 1000 yards this year if he played the bowl game.

Ok, just just peaking 1000 yards is still below average for a top tier WR.

Jamar Chase has 1700+ as a sophomore. Devonta Smith had 1800+. CeeDee 1300+ etc etc

Are you not concerned that Smith-Njigba managed to come through as a Sophomore and completely blow him off the map with 1600 yards?

I'm not saying Olave isn't talented. I just don't see WR1, top 30 pick in him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jamar Chase has 1700+ as a sophomore. Devonta Smith had 1800+. CeeDee 1300+ etc etc

Are you not concerned that Smith-Njigba managed to come through as a Sophomore and completely blow him off the map with 1600 yards?

Last year was in pace to put 1400
He didn't play all the matches so the 1000 yards mark is irrelevant considering he has been every years so close
But even without playing a full season he averaged +10 tds a year which is impressive

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stefon Diggs, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, & Michael Thomas are WRs that played at least 3 seasons & never eclipsed 1K yards in a season.

True, and not one of them went in round 1. Which is my point.

But, I guess we will see. I expect him to drop and Keim to do his usual "Oh this guy is here that was supposed to go higher. I wonder why he dropped? Never mind, must be my lucky day".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All of those guys had a lot more warts than Olave.
But, I guess we will see. I expect him to drop and Keim to do his usual "Oh this guy is here that was supposed to go higher. I wonder why he dropped? Never mind, must be my lucky day".
Why would he drop? He was very productive, has really good tape, and tested fairly well.

Honestly I think your being nitpicky. Olave is a very good NFL receiving prospect and has been for two years.

He is a substantially better prospect than Stefon Diggs, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, & Michael Thomas when they were coming out.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That wasn’t your point. Your point was that it seemed impossible to be a top WR in the NFL without posting 1K yard season in college. It speaks very highly of Olave of being a projected mid 1st rounder despite not reaching your goal.
A Keim-pick would be Christian Watson in the first round. Olave would be the total opposite of a Keim pick.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I understand your point, but keep in mind that almost none of the WR's in this draft will be WR1's. With the possible exception of Wilson, these are all WR2's. And that's what we're looking for at 23. Olave is a safe pick at 23, but he will not be there. And I personally wouldn't use draft capital to move up to take him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of those guys had a lot more warts than Olave.

Why would he drop? He was very productive, has really good tape, and tested fairly well.

Honestly I think your being nitpicky. Olave is a very good NFL receiving prospect and has been for two years.

He is a substantially better prospect than Stefon Diggs, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, & Michael Thomas when they were coming out.

His testing was mediocre. He ran OK and his broad was ok. That's it.

His VJ was 6th worst at the combine. His arm length, wingspan, and weight are all low percentile.

I just don't see small wingspan WR who can't jump and has the worst YAC of all the top receivers as a success waiting to happen but I guess we will see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave