Antibiotic resistance: something you should be very worried about.

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by ajcardfan, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I find people are very unaware of this situation. It first came to my attention when my Grandmother had two hip replacements. She wound up with a Staph infection that did not respond to antibiotics. For the last nine years of her life, she took every antibiotic possible. Pills, injections and IVs. They even put in tubes to flush out the bacteria at times. She would get a little better, and then her hips would swell up and pus would actually ooze out of her scars.

The most dangerous bacteria are in our best hospitals. That seems counter intuitive, but evolution doesn't care. It's just living things adapting to their environment. Even Bethesda damn near shut down due to this issue.

I put this in the political section, as antibiotic research funding by our government is basically zero compared to the problem. Private companies are NOT trying to make antibiotics, as there is no profit margin. They want to make drugs that people take every day for the rest of their lives. Antibiotics screw up their bottom line.

Simple lesson on antibiotic resistance:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/microbiome/resistance/

Here is a peer-reviewed article on the problem. It is chilling to read, especially this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4378521/

Here is an article about antibiotic use on farms and antibiotic resistance. There is a Frontline episode that is called "the trouble with antibiotics" that you can google and watch. Part of the episode is in Flagstaff (!!!) where a spike in antibiotic resistant bladder infections occurred. Around 30% of the meat they bought in Flagstaff grocery stores had antibiotic resistance bacteria on them. They then cultured bacteria from the infections, and they genetically matched the bacteria on the meat.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-bacteria-travel-from-the-farm-to-your-table/

My advice? Undercook nothing. Stop asking your doctors for pills when you have a cold. Or the flu. Antibiotics do NOTHING to viruses, only bacteria.

Absolute Zero and LVG like this.
  2. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Subtherapeutic use of antibiotics on factory farms is an enormous problem that very few people are aware of.

That is where the vast majority of antibiotics are used and it is not even for treatment. It is to promote animal growth. Of course, it is all backwards. In the few countries that have banned this practice, things got much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Southpaw, Absolute Zero and LVG like this.
  3. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Does using probiotics help at all?

4. Kel Varnsen

Then you just end up with biotics.

5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

My current primary doctor at Kaiser would agree with you. She says over prescribing of antibiotics is the single biggest issue she deals with. When I was on blood thinners for blood clots in my lungs after knee surgery, she agonized over giving me a Z pack(zithromax) because they thought I had a fever and they thought I might have slight pneumonia. In the end she gave it to me but only after lots of thought, tests and consultation with others.

6. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Are you saying the obscene amounts of antibiotics in the meat and dairy products Americans consume aren't good for us?

Mainstreet likes this.
  7. Kel Varnsen

In many ways.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  8. ajcardfan

The use of antibiotics on the farm had two economic benefits: 1) The farmer made more money as animals tend to gain 15 to 20% more weight on antibiotics. 2) It made meat very much cheaper for consumers. Hardly anyone remembers, but chicken at the store was considered a luxury until the 1950s.

The crazy thing is, we have absolutely no way to track antibiotic use on farms. The agriculture industry has aggressively stopped every effort to do so.

9. ajcardfan

Here is another one. Do you really believe your milk is rBST free? Do you know in spite of several large studies, there is still no way to tell rBST milk from milk produced by untreated cows? Do you know rBST cows produce about 20% more milk on a daily basis compared to untreated cows?

If you think farmers are not using rBST you are naive. Of course they are.

10. ajcardfan

Probiotics are good bacteria. They can improve the environment of the gut. But they also get killed when you take antibiotics. That's why a very common side effect of antibiotics is getting the runs.

11. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Great thread AJ. Why people should care:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ibiotic-apocalypse-says-chief-medical-officer

In the words of England’s chief medical officer, Sally Davies: “The world is facing an antibiotic apocalypse.” Unless action is taken to halt the practices that have allowed antimicrobial resistance to spread and ways are found to develop new types of antibiotics, we could return to the days when routine operations, simple wounds or straightforward infections could pose real threats to life, she warns.

The arithmetic is stark and disturbing, as the conference organisers make clear. At present about 700,000 people a year die from drug-resistant infections. However, this global figure is growing relentlessly and could reach 10 million a year by 2050.

The danger, say scientists, is one of the greatest that humanity has faced in recent times. In a drug-resistant world, many aspects of modern medicine would simply become impossible. An example is provided by transplant surgery. During operations, patients’ immune systems have to be suppressed to stop them rejecting a new organ, leaving them prey to infections. So doctors use immunosuppressant cancer drugs. In future, however, these may no longer be effective.

The world will face the same risks as it did before Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928.​

12. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

And many more doctors simply prescribe a pill just to make the patient go away. I had a particularly nasty case of the flu a few years back, and the doctor offered me some antibiotics. I asked if the flu was viral, he said it was, and then I asked him what good antibiotics would do. He shrugged and told me some people just want a pill from their doctor.

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I'm blanking on the name but there's some term now for people who have taken so many antibiotics that they end up with essentialy near regular runs because of the lack of good bacteria in their guts.

When I was younger I got lots of sinus infections and doctors would give me antibiotics. At one point I had a Kaiser doctor who would give me one without even seeing me, in email I'd tell him I was sick and he'd prescribe it. I thought that was good, since I got better. About 4 years ago they changed that, I thought it was bad but have since realized the exact opposite, I still get better, and now I don't have all the side effects of the antibiotics.

There's also lots of people with antibiotic allergies. I am allergic to avelox for example. I took it several times for sinus problems and each time it would get worse. Eventually I took it and broke out in hives and got violently ill. Apparently I'm allergic to it and over time the reaction got worse and worse. When i moved last year I had to change doctors and the first time I saw my new doctor at a different Kaiser she asked how I knew I was allergic so I explained. She then told me she asks because apparently Avelox is just about the worst of the antibiotics in terms of allergies, it's apparently a very strong antibiotic, but lots of people are allergic to it

14. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

I try to not take antibiotics unless I have a lung or sinus infection (from severe allergies), and then make sure I take the entire course - people taking partial doses is just as bad.

15. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

It is stunning how many people stupidly cease their antibiotic regimen as soon as they start feeling better, in spite of doctors telling them to take all the pills. Stupid is as stupid does.

LVG likes this.