Another stellar draft by bluto

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Although Keim's drafting record over the last 5 years has clearly been below average, I think last year's class will turn out to be a good one. Simmons, Fotu, and Lawrence all got meaningful snaps and from what I saw all three could turn out to be starters. Time will tell.

It also sounds like the coaching staff is high on Josh Jones after watching him in practice all year and the few game snaps he received. Add to this the use of the 2nd round choice in the trade for Hopkins and the use of the 6th round choice for Drake, and I think it may turn out to be Keim's best draft.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
An average vet tackle is hard for any rookie to beat out!

Beachum started the year quite well, but by the end was playing a bit below average.

Jones played quite a few snaps as a tackle eligible too, which means the team did have some level of confidence in him.
I think a lot of you don’t understand what the article was. It was rating the rookie classes (not the draft) after one year. What may/could/should doesn’t factor into this equation. My title could’ve been a bit clearer. But it should be obvious to everyone that we received very little from our rookie class last year, no? And while it’s no guarantee they will suck, it certainly isn’t a great indicator of future success.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although Keim's drafting record over the last 5 years has clearly been below average, I think last year's class will turn out to be a good one. Simmons, Fotu, and Lawrence all got meaningful snaps and from what I saw all three could turn out to be starters. Time will tell.

It also sounds like the coaching staff is high on Josh Jones after watching him in practice all year and the few game snaps he received. Add to this the use of the 2nd round choice in the trade for Hopkins and the use of the 6th round choice for Drake, and I think it may turn out to be Keim's best draft.
You got that from Fotu’s 6 solo tackles, 5 assisted tackles and 1 sack? Or from Lawrence’s 7 solo, 2 assisted tackles and zero sacks? I think you’re breathing Kool-Aid.

and as I stated before, this isn’t about what was done with the picks but the value of the rookie class. Talent evaluation of draftees.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kiem just always picks the guys hyped by PFF. On draft day we constantly are talking about how we got a "steal" when in reality its some hyped up prospect that every other GM saw as overrated.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I think a lot of you don’t understand what the article was. It was rating the rookie classes (not the draft) after one year. What may/could/should doesn’t factor into this equation. My title could’ve been a bit clearer. But it should be obvious to everyone that we received very little from our rookie class last year, no? And while it’s no guarantee they will suck, it certainly isn’t a great indicator of future success.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
You got that from Fotu’s 6 solo tackles, 5 assisted tackles and 1 sack? Or from Lawrence’s 7 solo, 2 assisted tackles and zero sacks? I think you’re breathing Kool-Aid.

and as I stated before, this isn’t about what was done with the picks but the value of the rookie class. Talent evaluation of draftees.

I actually watched their line play and think both Fotu and Lawrence have the physical ability to be starting defensive linemen in the NFL. Again, time will tell, but I really like what I see
so far.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't believe our draft was bad but it also didn't produce a lot of significant answers. Simmons looked really good but the coach didn't trust him. Lawrence got hurt. Jones sat behind Beachum. Fotu looked ok in some flashes. The problem was that no player really showed out making us think he could be a reliable starter.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I actually watched their line play and think both Fotu and Lawrence have the physical ability to be starting defensive linemen in the NFL. Again, time will tell, but I really like what I see
so far.
You’re obviously welcome to your opinion. I think it’s just crazy to make that statement on that sample size.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't believe our draft was bad but it also didn't produce a lot of significant answers. Simmons looked really good but the coach didn't trust him. Lawrence got hurt. Jones sat behind Beachum. Fotu looked ok in some flashes. The problem was that no player really showed out making us think he could be a reliable starter.
Unless you’re Card’em, in which case you believe we have four guys that look like starters.

(not attacking you card’em, just taken aback by your perspective)

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem is that Keim ranks in the lower 3rd of the league every year in drafts. You have to wait 2 years before you can really rank a class...because by then you know who you want on the team going forward.

So right now we should realistically be able to evaluate the 2019 draft class.

Kyler - Keep
Murphy- so-so...devent NFL player I guess but could be upgraded for sure
Isabella- trash
Zach Allen - nothing special
Hakeem Butler - trash
Dionte Thompson....so-so
Keeshawn Johnson - practice squad?

So out of that draft we got 1 guy..Kyler Murray the #1 overall pick...who you could say would have a spot on every roster in the NFL. Every other pick from that year could be replaced with someone better.

No go back 2, 3, 4 years before that.

THAT is why Keim should be fired. You have to get at least 3 players from every draft that you want to sign to a second contract. That is the magic number IMO

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem is that Keim ranks in the lower 3rd of the league every year in drafts. You have to wait 2 years before you can really rank a class...because by then you know who you want on the team going forward.

Kyler - Keep
Isabella- trash
Hakeem Butler - trash
Dionte Thompson....so-so

So out of that draft we got 1 guy..Kyler Murray the #1 overall pick...who you could say would have a spot on every roster in the NFL. Every other pick from that year could be replaced with someone better.

THAT is why Keim should be fired. You have to get at least 3 players from every draft that you want to sign to a second contract. That is the magic number IMO

The instant analysis after each of Keim's drafts has been positive, according to the guru's, and generally well accepted initially on this board. And your criteria of signing at least three draftees to second round deals has yet to play itself out. There wasn't anyone who thought that the Cards should pick up Reddick's fifth year option and now he's become a key FA signing for many.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kyler - Keep
Isabella- trash
Hakeem Butler - trash
Dionte Thompson....so-so

Kyler Murphy and maybe Allen can be the players getting second contracts

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Kyler - Keep
Isabella- trash
Hakeem Butler - trash
Dionte Thompson....so-so

I’m guessing a very, very low % of teams have 3 guys drafted per year that get second contracts with their team that drafted them.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The instant analysis after each of Keim's drafts has been positive, according to the guru's, and generally well accepted initially on this board. And your criteria of signing at least three draftees to second round deals has yet to play itself out. There wasn't anyone who thought that the Cards should pick up Reddick's fifth year option and now he's become a key FA signing for many.
Other than Harry no one on this board is paid to evaluate talent professionally. And those are paid by publications to grade drafts aren’t good enough at it to be paid by actual teams. So while it’s fun to read that stuff and debate it what you cite is actually garbage in the face of two realities:

1. our draft talent has been poor
2. Those who get paid by nfl teams allowed each of those players to drop to us. In other words they weren’t preferred by other gms to that point. Now of course I acknowledge that of course that literally has to happen did them to actually reach us to be drafted by keim. But when you combine this #2 with #1 it indicates to me that keim is just not good at this compared to many of his peers.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
A big part of the problem for last year's draft might not be the picks but the coach. 4 of the 6 picks were defense. We're expecting VJ to develop and utilize them. Look at how he handled Simmons and that guy's a freak talent.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow yeah thats horrendous. One of these days, maybe this year, these horrid drafts are going to catch up with them. Cant keep plugging holes with 1 year vet deals for too long.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the draft class this thread was about...

Make or break year.

Isaiah Simmons
Josh Jones
Leki Foto
Rashard Lawrence
Eno Benjamin

are expected to contribute this year, some a lot.

Add in DeAndre Hopkins and the draft class may end up good.

Only the 5th round pick Evan Weaver is not on the team.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to the draft class this thread was about...

Make or break year.

Isaiah Simmons
Josh Jones
Leki Foto
Rashard Lawrence
Eno Benjamin

are expected to contribute this year, some a lot.

Add in DeAndre Hopkins and the draft class may end up good.

Only the 5th round pick Evan Weaver is not on the team.
There are 3-4 starters and a PBer courtesy of this draft. Hate to be the bearer of reality, but that’s a good draft.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 3-4 starters and a PBer courtesy of this draft. Hate to be the bearer of reality, but that’s a good draft.
1 average at best starter.
3 mediocre starters.
1 unproven starter.

Yea, good draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
3 mediocre starters.
1 unproven starter.

Yea, good draft.
Who are the three starters? Simmons and ????

No one wants Josh Jones to start; he’s not a starter now. Maybe ONE of Lawrence and Fotu start, but both of them can’t.

Eno Benjamin hasn’t shown anything when the games matter.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 mediocre starters.
1 unproven starter.

Yea, good draft.
D Hop- Possible HOFer who was brought in in his prime
Simmons- Stats and common sense say he’s already above average. Barring injury, he’ll approach stardom this year.
Fotu- 3rd year player, 2 year starter at a position where it often takes 2-3 years to develop.
Lawrence- See above
Benjamin- 3rd year player who has done enough in the coaches eyes to take carries from the reigning NFL TD leader. Take that however you’d like.
Drake- Served his purpose.