Another Post From "The Scout"

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry, my responses have been few but travel has kept me busy. I've spent time recently with Jacksonville, New England, and Cleveland consulting on draft scenarios. I will try and get to yoru questions this morning before I'm off on the road again to Miami.

Anyway on to what I feel may be the most surprising news to date concernignthe draft. First, let me start by saying the Washington to Oakland trade talk is strictly scenario maneuvering by Washington. Washington has been in contact with San Diego officials for more than a week now discussing trade parameters. This os course has gone unreported because Washington and San Diego signed an agreement prior to discussions that has monetary ramifications for both parties if the trade is leaked. How do I know of such trade talk. Well, let's just say I was a witness to the discussions and I was not forced to sign any agreement nor was I under contract by either team. I'm reporting this to you because my retirement is finalized and ramifications to me are minimal at this point.

So here's how the deal breaks down. As I reported to you several weeks ago Cris Samuels and his agent are refusiing to renegoiate Cris's contract. Samuel's agent just so happens to be the agent for Patirck Ramsey. As you may already know Ramsey and Samuel's agent Jimmy Secton refused to renegotiate Cris's contract as protest for Snyder signing Brunell. The media has reproted that Ramsey and Gibbs patched up there differences. This is as far from the truth as possible. In fact Sexton is still protesting Brunell's signing per Ramsey by not renegotiating Cris's contract.

So for about the last month Mr. Secton has been talking with coach Schottenheimer regarding Patrick and Cris. Marty is more than intrigued with both players. Sexton had dinner with Snyder and Gibbs recently to relate to them that he had opened the door for trade talks with San Diego for the 1st overall pick. Washington preceeded to meet with San Diego officials at a private club in Palm Beach, Ca. I was present at these some waht tense discussions. Snyder came in with his guns loaded by offerring Samuels, #5, and a 2005 2nd round pick. Well, let's just say Jimmy Sexton didn't take this well and preceeded to verbally attack Snyder in front of everyone.

Sexton demanded that Ramsey and Samuel's be part of a packaged deal for the #1 overall pick. Snyder not knowing that Sexton has already come to preliminary contract agreements with San Diego for both players. The meeting broke up and both clubs needed some time to think. The next day we were back at it by 8:00 a.m. with San Diego making an initial offer to Washington of the #1 overall pick + Drew Brees for Samuel's, Ramsey, #5 overall, and a 2005 tbd.

Snyder balked at any future consideration picks arguing that Samuels was a prior 1st rounder and Ramsey a 2nd rounder. San Diego responded that Brees for Ramsey was a straight trade but that the #5 + Samuel's for the overall #1 left a trade diferential of 300 points. Snyder didn't care and essentially said take it or leave it. The next day back in Washington Snyder decided he could play hardball with San Diego by contacting Oakland. San Diego has taken notice and from what I'm hearing will agree to a trade on draft day only. Snyder responded that contract negotiations must take place with Samuels and Ramsey to only find out that San Diego had already completed this step. Snyder was not pleased that he had been black balled by Sexton.

So where this all stands according to San Diego is a likelyhood that the trade will occur. However, I would not be surprised if Snyder tries something to aggravate Sexton. Teh two variable here though are that one Snyder has no idea who San Diego intended to take at #1. Second, Sexton can throw a wrench in any trade Snyder makes that he doesn't like. San Diego to may just threaten to take Gallery #1 forcing Snyder's hand. For once I don't see Snyder winning this duel as he's been backed into a corner. Additionally. Gibbs has made it known that he does not want disgruntled players on his team. On a side note Gibbs and Drew's dad are pretty close and have discussed Drew's future.

On to other news as if you need more after that. Buffalo is maneuverign to get in place to draft Ben Roetlisberger. Buffalo seems to believe Roethlisberger may be availabel at #9 which just so happens to belong to Jacksonville. Buffalo picks #13 while the Steelers pick #11. Malarky knows as a former Steeler that Rooney and company are high on Roethlisberger and will select him if he's avalaible. Buffalo is making contact with clubs to move ahead of Pittsburgh to draft Roethlisberger. A deal would not happen until draft day once Buffalo knows Roethlisberger falls from the top 5. They will not move up to the top 5 to draft him as they feel the price is too steep. Pittsburgh has to now made no indications that it will move up for any one player. Stay tuned.

Arizona would like to one of these two players to be avaliable at #3. Larry Fitzgerald or Sean Taylor.

Cleveland has a mess on its hands with the Northcutt and Couch situation. If the Davis was such a moron both of these players would have been traded by now. Unfortunately, Butch has a lot of control and has so far blown three possible trades up himself. Time is runnign short for Cleveland to put themseleves in great postion for the 2004 draft. We will find out soon who is the real boss in Cleveland as a few teams are still trying to obtain these players. For the record San Diego will not even consider Northcutt in a trade as Davis's verball assault on them has left a bad taste in San Diego's mouth. Additionally, any deal with St. Louis for Pace is off the table as well. Take a guess who screwed this up by releasing key numbers of a contract to St. Louis because he has no idea how to keep his mouth shut. I sure hope Cleveland gets it act in gear and takes Butch out of al trade or contract talks.

As a part time consultant to Cincinnati it was my firm that suggested the D. O'Neal trade to Cincinnati. This trade was suggested as early as March 1st. I'm happy to see that Cincinnati made a wise move. O'Neal has everything Lewis and Frsier look for in a corner. He will flourish under Frasier's tutorage. As i've said previously Shanahan's impatience with defense is his achilees heel. Denver has never had a quality secondary coach under Mike who can develop and motivate players. Jimmy Spencer is a thug which si why his teaching shows no results. Denver moved up in hopes of landing a starting OLB.

Unfortunately, for them DJ Williams will be gone,but they may have a shot at Karlos Dansby. Cincinnati moving back was in hopes of landing Jake Grove at #24. They need some depth behind Braham in 2004 and a future starter for 2005. They may also have interest in Cris Gamble or Wil Poole at #24 as well. Lewis is high on Gamble but felt #17 was too high for him. If Cincinnati grabs a DB at #24 they will focus on grabbing Alex Stoponavich G/C Ohio State in round #3.
Any players is really an option at #24 for Cincinnati. Lewis needs depth at LB and in the secondary as well as at center.

Very Interesting read...

I still like the idea of Fitzgerlad or Taylor :moon:

OP
OP
Mr. Boldin

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
My name sense Bulldog knows is James Frederick Brandt. I'm 67 years old and reside in Dayton, Ohio with my lovely wife. I have four children all grown and married. I'm a grandather to 8 grandchildren. My NFL agent # is 4391 and my official consultant # is 4569. I have worked in football for over 45 years. I was an assistant to Coach Paul Brown in 1961. My job at the time was to be his personal assistant to say. The next year he gave me the job of consultant. My job then became to see and understand what other organizations were doing. Well enough you don't want to hear some long biography.

There ya go folks... Look him up.. He is retiring though.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The guy could be full of BS, internet hoaxes are a dime a dozen. But BUF is interested in a QB. That is true. The stuff he said about BUF is correct. The OAK WAS stuff just came out too so he is correct in some sense that something is going on with WAS and Samuels. Oak could be an attempt to make SD deal with them.

If any of it is true and the player that WASH wants is there at #3 they need to make the trade with WASH.

1 NYG Manning
2 OAK R Williams
3 WAS Gallery
4 SD Winslow (please not Fitz)
5 ARI Fitzgerald (and they get Samuels!)

Also possible

1 SD Manning
2 OAK R Williams
3 WAS Gallery
4 NYG Ben (not Fitz please)
5 ARI Fitz

Heck even if they lose out on Fitz they still get Samuels a Pro-Bowl T. Then if Fitz is gone they can still get M Williams, Winslow, or Taylor.

Here is why this trade would be genius.
The offense will be pretty much set with one draft. Samuels gives the team two quality Ts.
T is the most important position on the OLINE.
They take a WR with the 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. That means they have the three WRs. And 3rd round they take a RB or even 2nd round.

Or they could take WR in second round and take Taylor to solidify their defense a bit and take a RB round three

With 1 draft the Cards offense will be set.
Two top notch Ts and solid G and C.
Two top notch WRs (draft one and Boldin and Johnson to be the third wideout). And a fast RB to help Shipp and next year.

One draft and your offense is set. Use next year's draft and FA for defense. And in two years the Cards would have one of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL.

Someone tell DG to call Snyder now!

OFFENSE:

-Samuels. Big. Kendall. Clement. Shelton.
-Johnson. Boldin. Fitz/Mike/Roy. (or WR @ #33)
-Shipp. K./J./G. Jones/Clarett/Bell/Turner
-Hodgins. F Jones. Josh.

DEFENSE:

-Berry. 2nd/3rd rounder. King/Bryant. Johnson.
-Hayes. McKinnon. Thompson.
-Macklin. Starks. Wilson or Taylor. Jackson

How about that?

Last edited:

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
The only thing I would add to that, is ideally I would like to see them take a WR 1st, and then either Gamble, Strait or BCBA in the 2nd. Starks is too risky to depend on every year, we're gonna need a rookie to groom as a starter sooner rather than later.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Most of what he says sounds credible. The company is likely a scouting service and there is no shortage of those guys, trust me. For what it's worth, I am still hearing the Giants want Manning and will try to secure the first pick. I believe it is more likely the Washington-San Diego swap goes down, as no one believes Gallery will be taken ahead of Manning.

I do believe Buffalo would like to move up and take a QB, but Roethlisberger will be long gone by the 9th pick. I haven't decided whether to do a mock this year, but in toying with it I agree Buffalo will try to move up, but likely do so for Rivers.

I cannot believe the Cards have Taylor ahead of Winslow. It's not that I don't like Taylor, but I'm telling you Winslow is on top of some boards. If Fitzgerald is gone by three it would be a huge mistake to pass on Winslow.

I am not certain Gamble is even in the first round anymore. People are telling me he is one of the players in freefall.

Wolf left most of his feelings on this draft in Cleveland and is very bitter. I understand he was pushing for them to get Taylor, even if they have to move up to do so. I am told he thinks Gallery will go at two and moving to get him at one is out of the question. He also didn't favor moving to three, as he doesn't think Taylor goes 3rd or 4th. This might result in Oakland moving down twice. They want a receiver and would have a good one available with Cleveland's pick.

As to Cincy, they want to move up and they want to move Dillon. However, so far no one has liked their offers. They may wait until the top shakes out and then make a move.

This leaves the Cards with some interesting choices. If they stay put, I think they do get Fitzgerald. They could take a below slot offer from Cleveland and get one of the two receivers named Williams. If Roethlisberger is still on the board, which is likely, they could trade with Pittsburgh though it's dicey if they could get one of their targeted players at that spot. A Steelers' offer would have to be very juicy. Jacksonville and Houston are the wildcards, as they have so many needs, they could take anyone except a QB.

I think this draft will have more trades at the top than any in recent years and be one of the most interesting since they have been televising the event. Look for the Cards to continue their history of unpredictability.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was elated when he said Cards are interested in Sean Taylor. Hope it is true.
There are 7 receivers I would flip a coin on
Roy Williams
Mike Williams
Reggie Willams
Larry Fitz
Rashaun Woods
Lee Evans ( moving up fast )
Mark Clayton

I believe one will be available at Cards #2 ( 33 ) if Taylor is taken by Cards with 1st. I don't know of another Defensive player in the draft who will make more impact.

I'm still hoping for Winslow or Jackson ( in a trade down ).

This whole sneaky reproter thing is strange. I can't figure out if he is real or not. He could sell rumors like this on the Internet easily. Lots of draft junkies.

:shrug:
R

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BUT what about Poston as K. Winslows' agent??

I read today that teams ie; Wash. are un-willing to take K. Winslow because they'll have to deal w/ Poston (recently signed to represent him). If I understand it correctly, agent Poston, also represents L. Arrington, and we know that situation has gotten pretty ugly lately. My thought is TAKE Fitz' or Taylor at #3 and be safe. I also think it's very important for Coach Green to make some good moves on draft day since he wants to have 55,000 attend the opener. I think alot of fans are on the edge about the Cards, and a good/great draft will swing 'em. ...And the 1st draft of a "new" regime is ALWAYS talked about--even years down the road. GO CARDS!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The possibilities are endless.

I think Oakland holds the key to our draft. They are the team I think that will take Fitzgerald. I am hoping they trade to a team that covets Manning or Gallery.
I would think Oakland would be very interested in the same deal that is being offered to San Diego. Oakland would recieve Samuels , Ramsey and the #5 pick, while Washington would recieve the #2 pick(Gallery) and either Tuiasosopo and an additonal pick(s)(4th round?).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson