Another poll. KJ vs Marbury.

Stephon or KJ? Take your pick.

• Kevin Johnson

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Stephon Marbury

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Neither, if Jason Kidd would come back.

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Since it has been vaguely discussed here, who would you rather have leading THIS Suns team?

Kevin Johnson, in his prime. (approx 20/10) Or Stephon Marbury?

I think it would be very interesting to see what KJ could do with Amare. Personally I think Amares numbers would be up slightly with Kevin, however, I think the suns would be tight-roping the .500 mark. Steph has singlehandedly won atleast 3 or 4 games. KJ was a VERY good player, but I vaguely remember him doing anything near what Marbury has been doing as of late.

My Vote: Stephon Marbury, with a slight edge.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Marbury, but because his health is better (or he is more willing to play hurt). If both are full strength I prefer Johnson, because he was a terrific shooter. (How many guards make 50% from the field these days?)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate
Since it has been vaguely discussed here, who would you rather have leading THIS Suns team?

Kevin Johnson, in his prime. (approx 20/10) Or Stephon Marbury?

I think it would be very interesting to see what KJ could do with Amare. Personally I think Amares numbers would be up slightly with Kevin, however, I think the suns would be tight-roping the .500 mark. Steph has singlehandedly won atleast 3 or 4 games. KJ was a VERY good player, but I vaguely remember him doing anything near what Marbury has been doing as of late.

My Vote: Stephon Marbury, with a slight edge.

KJ singlehandedly beat a 69 win Laker team in a 7 game series. The Lakers had no answer. Magic was continually picking his jock up off the floor.

In his prime KJ was pretty awesome but the Suns were never serious contenders. Still they had a string of about 8 50 win seasons in a row.

cheng

Veteran
Reaction score
KJ, because he was smarter, made everyone around him better, and like Marbury, has the ability to take over a game all by himself when needed.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Marbury, but because his health is better (or he is more willing to play hurt). If both are full strength I prefer Johnson, because he was a terrific shooter. (How many guards make 50% from the field these days?)

This is pretty much what I was thinking. Steph just has a win it all mentality, he plays no matter what, and puts it all out on the floor. Even with that, I probably would still take KJ if he wasn't such a health risk.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
KJ...... if healthy(big if). He is a better "point guard" in a classic sense.
Marbury is unguardable 1 on 1 but hasn't shown the maturity to run a team consistantly. However, Marbury is still young and had made great strides this season.

If he could have played more KJ would be a lock for the hall of fame. I think only 3 players have averaged 20/10 for 3 straight seasons; Magic Johnson, John Stockton, and Kevin Johnson.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think JStoc ever averaged 20 points. I think it was Oscar Robertson, but again, that guy was a freak, he got tripple doubles every night.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
You're right about Stockton.:eek:
Magic did it for three years but not consecutive.

"O" had 5 seasons of 30/10 including 4 straight (wow). I'm sorry I missed that.

the point is KJ had great numbers when healthy.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The other PG who did 20/10 for three straight seasons is Tim Hardaway.

Edit: Oops, this is what Hubie Brown always says, but it appears to be wrong. Hardaway's best stretch of three seasons ('90-'93) was 22.9/9.7, 23.4/10.0, and 21.5/10.6. Close, but not quite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I just wanna know who voted for Jason Kidd. :eek:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
The other PG who did 20/10 for three straight seasons is Tim Hardaway.

Edit: Oops, this is what Hubie Brown always says, but it appears to be wrong. Hardaway's best stretch of three seasons ('90-'93) was 22.9/9.7, 23.4/10.0, and 21.5/10.6. Close, but not quite.

Speaking of Tim Hardaway, why is he not playing? He might be old, but he'd still be better on the basketball court than in the ESPN's studio.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Tim would be better on the court at 50 than he is in the studio now.

The only person I can think of more annoying to listen to than him is Deion Sanders.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't Isiah Thomas average 20/10 as well?

I'd give a slight edge to KJ. I never got the impression that he forced his game whereas I'll sometimes feel that way with Stephon. A lot of times Steph misses the pick and roll, whereas KJ had that mastered. Kevin could also beat his man whenever he wanted to and was more consistent of a shooter. Hardaway is healthier, stronger and has a 3 point shot. Close call, but I go with KJ.

On another note, how come we never see KJ at the ring of honor ceremonies?

(He wasn't at Dan's and I don't think he was at Tom's either)

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K.J. definitly, The only thing Marbury has on him is his range, K.J. had to extend is shooting range when they moved the 3 point line back, It took him awile to hit the 3 point shot. But Kevin was much better at penatrating and dishing, and his free throws were much better then stephs. And he was the master of the pick and roll, along with stockton. Kevin showed up every night with a good attitude and played hard to win every game, Steph seems to pick when he wants to elevate his game.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Zett, can you name a game where steph didn't come to play this season?? Having a bad shooting night isn't not coming to play, especially when he gets over 10 assists on most of his off nights. He may appear to step up big when the team needs him, but that is because he is trying to get everyone else involved. He is very good at picking his times to go off on opponents.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
Zett, can you name a game where steph didn't come to play this season?? Having a bad shooting night isn't not coming to play, especially when he gets over 10 assists on most of his off nights. He may appear to step up big when the team needs him, but that is because he is trying to get everyone else involved. He is very good at picking his times to go off on opponents.

If he can pick his times to step it up then he really isn't putting out what he is capable the rest of the time! It's basically a mental thing that effects his performance. No, I can not pick a game, I don't recall every detail of any games. But some things just stand out as obvious to me in a passing manner. sorry!!!

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I dont think you should fault Marbury. When the team isnt playing well he will try to take over the game himself. (which could be seen as a negative thing, but i disagree.) I think thats why he has always had a "ball-hog" reputation. He has really only played on crappy teams. (Minus Minny his rookie season)

I think he has VASTLY improved his style this year. Instead of trying to score all by himself every time down the floor he looks first to get his teammates involved and get the offense working. We saw signs of this last year, but last years team was not very good.

At times when the offense just isnt working he tries to step it up himself. And you know what? It usually works.

If he can pick his times to step it up then he really isn't putting out what he is capable the rest of the time!

I dont think that's a fair statement. Would you really want Marbury shooting the ball 45-50 times a game? ala Iverson? Hell no. And dont tell me, "Well, Philly has a better record!" If the sixers were in the West they would probably be struggling at number 10 or 11 right now.

Anyways, my point is...is that I like a PG who can light it up when needed. And I also like a PG who can get his teammates involved. We HAVE that guy here in Phoenix. We dont need another Iverson, thank you very much.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Nobody goes all-out all the time anyway. Of course Marbury exerts less than full energy sometimes. That's true for everyone. It was certainly true for Kevin Johnson, and it's certainly true for Kidd.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
That was pretty much my point. I think that is best for him not to throw it all out there all the time. He can save his energy, and that is part of the reason we will see 20 point quarters from him more often then most of the stars in the league. Like I said before, the best part is, it isn't like he becomes a ghost when he doesnt put it all out there, he is still running the offense and trying to shut down a main offensive threat form the other team. IMO Marbury "brings it" more often then 90% of the league hands down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose