Another offseason plan

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my plan for the Cards.

1. Restructure Big's contract to open another 3 million to our cap room which would set it 19 mil.

2. Sign LeCharles Bentley to a 5 year deal worth 30 mil, and spread it out as a 6 mil cap hit.

3. Big Splash!! RB Jamal Lewis to an incentive laden deal to be our power back. He could be the finisher on the last drives that keep close games close and the chains moving. Green has had very good luck with these runners. Cap hit would be 6 mil. That leaves us 7 million.

4. Cut RB Marcel Shipp, James Hodgins, and Robert Griffith, which I believe would save us around 2.5 mil. So, we would have 9.5 mil

5. Sign FS Corey Chavous to a 3 year incentive laden deal. Cap hit 2.5 mil.

6. Sign DT Chris Hovan to a 3 year deal similar to Chavous. 2.5 mil cap hit.

7. That leaves us 4.5 million to resign some of our UFA and RFA.

In the Draft,
1. BPA = Chad Greenway LB Iowa. Reminds me alot of Keith Brooking.

2. OT Ryan O'Callaghan Cal. Pure RT and could start from day 1.

3. QB Omar Jacobs. QB of the future? too good of a value for the third round.

3. trade at end of day one, gives Pitt their 4th and 6th to select TE Anthony Fasano Notre Dame. Complete TE that is gold in the red zone.

5. OG Rob Sims OSU. Great value pick as OG's usually drop.

7. WR/RS Skyler Green LSU. It's the 7th round! Take aa shot.

Go ahead and rip away. i am not an expert on cap hits so tell me if I am wrong.

seesred

Reaction score
You're wrong....Just kidding. It could go as you have stated. Some things like Cory C will not happen IMO. I'm not a big Lewis fan but would not be dissapointed if we ended up signing him. Who knows with a renewed o-line he could star. As far as Bentley is concerened I hope we reach out to him, our o-line would get instantly upgraded and start to be a strenght. Your draft picks if it went just that way I would be excited.

GBR

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Your plan is ok, I guess, but I just don't think Bigs contract gets reworked before the season starts this year.

I like playing the salary cap game and pay very close attention to who and when the Cards spend their money. In the last 5 years, based on how they have worked the Salary Cap, I have never gotten the impression that the Cards were trying to win as their #1 priority. Now, if they actually extended Big and lowered his cap hit by a few million this year, that would be a huge statement saying the Cards are really trying to win. To me, it doesn't matter if it's Edge or J.Wells that they bring in at RB. What matters is they spend their money wisely and try to win.

What really pissed me off last year was the 5 players they cut before June 1st. That sucked up about $5M of cap space they could have delayed. (of course, this year it helps, but it didn't help last years teams get more wins).