Annual Excuses For ASU Hoops Begin

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Why would a big name coach come to ASU when other gigs like Indiana and Missouri might be available? And it's not like ASU is swimming in money to pay any potential hire. Gene Smith needs to do his research and come up with a solid coach from a smaller program that's ready to make the leap to a big conference.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Evans goes, ASU may not do any better

Paola Boivin
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 13, 2005

Can you be convicted in the court of public opinion if the jury box is half empty?

That's the strange status of Arizona State coach Rob Evans, who can't draw a crowd but can attract some rather strong opinions about his future.

Most fans don't want that future here.

Evans can quell the cries very simply. He can inspire the Sun Devils to play themselves into the NCAA Tournament. Following Saturday night's loss to Southern California, that will require winning at least four of their remaining five games, a difficult task but one necessary to alter the public relations spin.

In, and Evans has coached the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament two of the past three years.

Out, and Evans has coached the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament only once in the past seven.

"The goal of every program we sponsor is to get in to postseason play," ASU Athletic Director Gene Smith said before Saturday's game.

If Evans falls short of that goal, fans have the right to demand better. What they will learn, however, is that this is not the plum job many believe it to be, that the coaching elite will not be lining up for an interview.

On a popular ASU message board, one fan wrote, "Why not try for Krzyzewski! Or Calhoun, or Sampson, or Pitino."

Uh, because they won't come here? The Sun Devils couldn't even land Gonzaga's Mark Few, another fan favorite, who is enjoying a new arena, not to mention a program that finds its way into the NCAA Tournament each year.

What college coaches will tell you privately is that ASU isn't even considered one of the top six jobs in the Pac-10 anymore.

Stanford and California have the lure of academia. UCLA and Arizona have the pull of tradition. Oregon has McArthur Court, frequently named one of the toughest places in the country to play, and Washington has a bigger budget and a better recruiting base.

ASU fans like to talk about the attraction of the weather and the fine-looking coeds, but in truth, those are perks, nothing more.

What coaches see when they look at Tempe is an anemic fan base that one of the top players in the country can't inspire, a dominating program 90 miles to the south, and a local recruiting base that is improving but still falls short.

That Evans has struggled is a shame, really, because he's everything right about college basketball.

He cleaned up a program in disarray and his players are solid representatives of the university. In this high-salary, win-at-all-costs era, that's no longer enough.

Patience is a thing of the past. In Mike Montgomery's first eight years at Stanford, he had just two NCAA appearances and fell to 7-23 overall and 2-16 in the Pac-10 during his seventh year. Had the administration pulled the trigger, it would have lost a man who built one of the more impressive college programs in the country - 12 NCAA Tournaments in 18 seasons including his last 10 - until the lure of NBA money pulled him away.

No one has the luxury to wait anymore.

ASU officials feel many have overlooked preseason media predictions - last in the Pac-10. They see a team that's exceeded expectations. The rest of us see a coach who was entering his seventh season sporting a team many believed to be the worst in the conference.

It's all about perspective. There's one way Evans can change that of the fans.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0213boivin0213.html

Makes you think.....

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Why would a big name coach come to ASU when other gigs like Indiana and Missouri might be available? And it's not like ASU is swimming in money to pay any potential hire. Gene Smith needs to do his research and come up with a solid coach from a smaller program that's ready to make the leap to a big conference.

But he will probably snub them again, like he did Ben Howland at NAU.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU fans like to talk about the attraction of the weather and the fine-looking coeds, but in truth, those are perks, nothing more.

Nice perks. :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Can ASU afford to pay him what he's getting in New Orleans?

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/byron_scott/

ASU is not in any position to pay big money to a coach. Maybe they could lure Alton Lister away from MCC. That scenario is 100 x's more likely than Byron Scott, 10,000 x's more likey than Coach K and 10 million times more likely than Phil Jackson.

sly fly, that was the funniest post I've read in a long time. The Zen Master, toiling away in Wells Fargo Arena. :biglaugh:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
ASU is not in any position to pay big money to a coach. Maybe they could lure Alton Lister away from MCC. That scenario is 100 x's more likely than Byron Scott, 10,000 x's more likey than Coach K and 10 million times more likely than Phil Jackson.

sly fly, that was the funniest post I've read in a long time. The Zen Master, toiling away in Wells Fargo Arena. :biglaugh:

I'm glad I could provide you with some comic relief.

Hey, I'm just throwing out names.

Couldn't you imagine the triangle being implemented with 18 year olds?

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What college coaches will tell you privately is that ASU isn't even considered one of the top six jobs in the Pac-10 anymore.

I don't think this is true at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lavin would be a wonderful choice but I was sort of hoping Lute would retire and UA would hire Steve first. :D

God if he couldn't understand how to put together a team at UCLA in a recruiting hotbed, how in the world would he turn around ASU?

I'll throw out a name although I have no clue if he's looking, Santa Clara coach Dick Davey. He's sort of a dinosaur I guess in that he learned from Carroll Williams and has a rep for working with bigmen, and there are no great bigmen in college anymore. But he's a solid X and o guy, he's the one who recruited and coached Steve Nash. He's been there 27 years and every now and then you hear his name come up for jobs but I don't know if he wants to leave or not.

He's not the young up and comer by any means but sometimes the way to get one of those is to hire a veteran coach who will hire some talented young assistants and then groom them to replace him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASU is defintely in the middle of the Pac when it comes to desirable coaching locations. Oregon has the Nike money. USC is in Los Angeles and has a new arena coming. UCLA, Arizona, and Stanford for the time being are UCLA, Arizona, and Stanford. And you could make cases for Cal and Washington as well considering the athletic department's financial woes.

Russ - no comments on the game on Saturday? Not to worry, you guys are set for the next few years. Oh, the odds of Lavin going to Tucson are zero. Although we did hire John Mackovic once so you never know. Kelvin Sampson and Mark Few are the two biggest names floating around Tucson for the post-Lute era.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Russ - no comments on the game on Saturday? Not to worry, you guys are set for the next few years. Oh, the odds of Lavin going to Tucson are zero. Although we did hire John Mackovic once so you never know. Kelvin Sampson and Mark Few are the two biggest names floating around Tucson for the post-Lute era.

I missed the game but am not surprised at the outcome. UCLA shot the lights out against ASU knew that wouldn't continue. Looks like Farmar had a big game but UA shut down Dijon. UA made the one big run and put the game away, looks like they pounded us on the boards too, not surprising we don't have any talented size inside yet.

Give Mata a year, and Ryan Wright and Aboya and I think we'll be tougher inside.

Believe me Lavin at ARizona is just a UCLA fan pipe dream frankly I don't think there's a team in the Pac 10 that would hire him. It was quite well known that Montgomery used to go out of his way to talk up Lavin to the press for a simple reason, he WANTED lavin to stay at UCLA. I think most of the conference wishes they had never hired Howland.

Congrats on the win, personally I have Salim now as the frontrunner for Conf POY.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona St. 75, Oregon St. 73

By MEL REISNER, AP Sports Writer
February 17, 2005

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) --
Ike Diogu had 25 points and Bryson Krueger a season-high 21, and Arizona State survived blowing an 18-point lead to defeat Oregon State 75-73 Thursday night.

The win wasn't locked down until Krueger threw a floor-length in-bounds pass to Serge Angounou, who dribbled out the final three seconds.

Jason Braxton had a season-high 11 points for the Sun Devils (17-9, 6-8 Pac-10).

The Beavers (14-10, 6-7) rallied from a 44-26 deficit behind David Lucas, who had 26 points and 13 rebounds, and Jason Fontenot.

Fontenot scored 13 of his 19 points in the second half, when Oregon State surged from 18 points down to take a 63-62 lead on Lucas' three-point play with 6:23 left.

But the Sun Devils answered, regaining the lead when Angounou drove the key for a dunk with 5:47 to go. When Fontenot missed a shot the next trip upcourt, Angounou, who had seven of his eight rebounds in the second half, got the carom and Krueger made his fifth 3-pointer with 5:20 remaining.

The Beavers came back to tie it at 67 on Nick DeWitz's 16-footer with 3:28 left, but Arizona State opened breathing room on a jumper by Angounou and Braxton's free throw. With 24 seconds left, DeWitz cut the gap to 72-71 with a 3-pointer, but Kevin Kruger made three free throws down the stretch.

Diogu scored in double figures for the 85th straight game, but also missed a career-high seven free throws.

Both teams shot poorly in the first half, and the game was tight until Krueger scored 11 points in a 2:20 span, giving the Sun Devils a 33-18 lead.

His last two baskets were a jumper after rebounding a missed free throw by Diogu with 5:49 left in the half, and a 3-pointer 47 seconds later.

That was Arizona State's biggest lead until Diogu made a 14-foot jumper with 2 seconds left after recovering his own blocked shot, opening a 42-26 halftime lead.

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sweep Oregon schools this weekend?

Too little too late?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Sweep Oregon schools this weekend?

Too little too late?

I said weeks ago that they would have to split the four games left with Arizona, UCLA and UofW to make it. I still think that is the case, but that means they have to beat Arizona and Washington up in Seattle. Can anyone imagine them pulling that off? Maybe they could beat just one of them and make it to the finals of the PAC 10 tournament. But, that's a long shot too.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Theres something extremely satisfying in watching ASU hoops "fans" dream up scenarios for what it will take to get to the dance.

Love it.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schutd said:
Theres something extremely satisfying in watching ASU hoops "fans" dream up scenarios for what it will take to get to the dance.

Love it.

Whatever.

With all the talent that's gone through Tucson, shouldn't they have won it all more than once? Heck the team that won it finished 4th or 5th in the Pac that season and barely defeated a KU Wildcat team, minus their best player, in OT. :shrug:

Go Devils!!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW: I'm not just trying to pick a fight or anything, I really think that Lute's teams have underachieved come tourney time. As loaded as his teams have been they should have won multiple championships in the time he's been there. JMHO. :shrug:

burndoggy

Veteran
Reaction score
with all the boys lute has put in the pros,and all of the great guard duos hes had i would say only 1 title is a little dissapointing,but i sure wouldnt mind having a title in tempe.
Brian in Mesa said:
BTW: I'm not just trying to pick a fight or anything, I really think that Lute's teams have underachieved come tourney time. As loaded as his teams have been they should have won multiple championships in the time he's been there. JMHO. :shrug:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
With all the talent that's gone through Tucson, shouldn't they have won it all more than once? Heck the team that won it finished 4th or 5th in the Pac that season and barely defeated a KU Wildcat team, minus their best player, in OT. :shrug:
Such an ignorant comment. For one, we beat UK in the NC game without Derek Anderson but I suppose I could bring up Arenas being injured in the '01 NC game but I don't make excuses. Second, in '97 the KU team the Cats beat in the Sweet 16 was probably the best team college basketball has seen since the early 90s UNLV squad. Lastly, Lute (w/ a few notable exceptions) hasn't always gotten the 'best' high school players. UNC, Duke, UCLA and whatever cheating school du jour always get the best players. Lute develops players and has an unbelievable eye for talent. Future pros like Arenas, Walton, and Frye were basically ignored by the majority of big time programs.

And I do agree that some of Lute's teams have underachieved come tourney time. But it's an epidemic that strikes nearly all Pac-10 teams stemming from the worst officiating I've ever seen allowed in a major conference on an annual basis. After seeing Pac-10 teams (UA, Stanford, UCLA) seemingly underachieve on an annual basis in the Tourney you'd think the morons in charge of the Pac would change their policy but I've seen nothing of the sort to suggest things might get different.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
University of Kansas!?!

:trout:

No, regardless of whether I said KU or UK to signify the University of Kentucky/Kentucky University...I said Wildcats, you know, one of the most common nicknames in sports...not Jayhawks.

:D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson