Angelo Chol update

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chol has eliminated Washington & Alabama.. The UofA is one of three schools left. If Miller can get him to commit this will be an unbelievable recruiting class.

Twitter from Bruce Pascoe:
#arizonawildcats target Angelo Chol eliminates Washington, Alabama, HS coach Ollie Goulston says. UA, UNC, Kansas remaining. Decision Thurs

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'd say we're at least a Sweet 16 team without him. With him we're Final 4 quality. Book it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd say that sounds like a done deal.

Chol is going to be nice for depth purposes, but we'll be a Final Four contender next year regardless of him committing tomorrow. Everyone seems to think Derrick is coming back for one more year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chol has eliminated Washington & Alabama.. The UofA is one of three schools left. If Miller can get him to commit this will be an unbelievable recruiting class.

Twitter from Bruce Pascoe:
#arizonawildcats target Angelo Chol eliminates Washington, Alabama, HS coach Ollie Goulston says. UA, UNC, Kansas remaining. Decision Thurs

The funny thing is yesterday Scout boards were all saying he was a lock to UW because Tony Wroten tweeted he'd talked to Chol and that it was about 90% certain he was going to UW.

Talented kid, great shot blocker and rebounder. I think the interesting thing with him is he can probably play college C at his size so people who think it creates an issue with Sidiki Johnson are probably wrong, they can probably play together.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Arizona can be the favorite to win the Pac-10 with Jesse Perry and Derrick Williams at the 4/5 then Chol and Sidiki can definitely play it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Arizona can be the favorite to win the Pac-10 with Jesse Perry and Derrick Williams at the 4/5 then Chol and Sidiki can definitely play it.

Well it's all a moot point now, apparently Jim Basnight is saying UA paid Chol, I mean coming from Basnight it's gotta be true?

:D

What a tool, it turns out that apparently Wroten didn't even actually ever say Chol to UW, Basnight apparently went on a bunch of people's twitter accounts, including Wroten's and Chols, toi ask if it was true Chol had verballed to UW on Saturday. So the tweet from Wroten that UW fans were discussing was actually a tweet from Basnight to Wroten.

He now says he's going to work with the NCAA to clean up the game and "you'll be surprised at what I'm able to accomplish."

That guy needs a reality show.

On Chol what I mean is I havent' seen him this year but when UCLA was recruiting him I always felt he was a 5 in a 4's body, I just think he's athletic enough and long enough to actually play the 5 in college. I think he's a college 5, not a 4, so I think he and Johnson will probably fit well together. I hear he's expanded his game this year but I haven't seen him play this year so I can't say so first hand. If Williams comes back Chol will be in a great situation not having to start as a freshman and then he'll probably lead the conference in blocked shots as a soph.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Well it's all a moot point now, apparently Jim Basnight is saying UA paid Chol, I mean coming from Basnight it's gotta be true?

:D

What a tool, it turns out that apparently Wroten didn't even actually ever say Chol to UW, Basnight apparently went on a bunch of people's twitter accounts, including Wroten's and Chols, toi ask if it was true Chol had verballed to UW on Saturday. So the tweet from Wroten that UW fans were discussing was actually a tweet from Basnight to Wroten.

He now says he's going to work with the NCAA to clean up the game and "you'll be surprised at what I'm able to accomplish."

That guy needs a reality show.

:biglaugh:

Basnight is such a douche. I don't know how even UW fans can stand him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
With all of our top-tier recruits coming in, D-Will (hopefully) staying and all of the role players, such as Fogg, KP3 and Momo still in the picture, this team will be a juggernaut and most certainly be a favorite for the Final Four.

The Proud Tradition is back!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller's recruiting is scary good.

Funny thing is the 2012 class will likely be better.

I'm hoping it scares Ashley to UCLA :sad:

It's a really nice class. I haven't seen Sidiki Johnson healthy but he's supposed to be a banger. I like Chol quite a bit he plays defense and his offense is apparently coming on.

TJ

Reaction score
Transferring. Possibly to SDSU.

It was written when Ndiyae, his roomie, left the football team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's now 47% of the kids Miller has signed at UA that have left early and 2 since Gordon committed.

Everyone is losing transfers and kids early to the NBA, interesting to see how Miller plugs the holes. I know you guys are looking at transfers too.

Seems like it's getting harder and harder, if you can recruit like Miller can you're going to constantly lose incumbent kids who think they're being recruited over.

Better to have too much talent than not enough but finding a happy medium isn't easy these days.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cats will be fine. Some is the guys being mentioned as possibly coming in will make an impact. Miller is fine and Russ, I'll take him any day over that douche Alford. Surprised no one has mentioned Alford trying to weasle his way out of the million dollar buyout. Coaches will have field day destroying Alfotd's character during recruiting. How many mothers will want their son playing for a coach who supports a rapist?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cats will be fine. Some is the guys being mentioned as possibly coming in will make an impact. Miller is fine and Russ, I'll take him any day over that douche Alford. Surprised no one has mentioned Alford trying to weasle his way out of the million dollar buyout. Coaches will have field day destroying Alfotd's character during recruiting. How many mothers will want their son playing for a coach who supports a rapist?

I didn't want Alford either made that perfectly clear for that exact reason didn't like his handling of that case at all.

As for the contract thing I thought the same thing until a contract lawyer on BRO explained it including the relevant quotes. He never signed his new contract he signed a term sheet, the new contract started 2 days after he took the UCLA job. So UNM is saying he owed them 30 days notice, which is from the old contract, but they want 1 million which is from the NEW contract.

The new contract hadn't taken effect yet. Surprising to me they could have so many lawyers come up with such a glitch but the lawyers on BRO are swearing Alford is actually right about which buyout he owes. It's expected they'll negotiate and pay a little more than 150, he apparently offered 200.

Miller is losing kids, like I said so is everyone else, but he's losing kids. If 3 kids go pro next year(gordon, Ashley, Tarc) that would be 11 of the 20 he's signed leaving early.

Right now it's only 8-17 and only one of those was a first round pick unless Jerrett goes first round.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As expected he picked SDSU. Said he respects Miller but it was a very difficult situation to play in he was constantly looking over his shoulder to see if he was coming out, said you just can't get into a flow if you're playing that small amount of minutes.

Good get for SDSU in a year he'll really help them out.

So is York going to stay? Seems like if he were leaving he'd have announced it by now, but then until all the transfers settle, it's not clear what anybodys roster is.

TJ

Reaction score
As expected he picked SDSU. Said he respects Miller but it was a very difficult situation to play in he was constantly looking over his shoulder to see if he was coming out, said you just can't get into a flow if you're playing that small amount of minutes.

Good get for SDSU in a year he'll really help them out.

So is York going to stay? Seems like if he were leaving he'd have announced it by now, but then until all the transfers settle, it's not clear what anybodys roster is.

The back court is not as loaded as the front court, so I expect York to stay on board. There have been no rumors swirling around a possible transfer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The back court is not as loaded as the front court, so I expect York to stay on board. There have been no rumors swirling around a possible transfer.

I suppose it might depend on when pitts shows up on campus. My suspicion is Pitts is better than people realize(I really liked him) and that York might see the writing on the wall in July if Pitts is on campus. He's a really good defensive player, York can't guard his own shadow, I suspect if Pitts looks even remotely ready on offense he's going to challenge Yorks spot in the rotation.

Right now York is the 4th guard behind McConnell, Nick and Mayes, if he suspects Pitts might take that spot he might then leave. He's a better athlete but I strongly suspect Pitts will turn out to be the better player, very tough kid.