Andy Reid's call....

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'd have won any way but what in the world was Reid thinking going for the TD at the close of the 1st half instead of taking the FG? Even if Vick hadn't been sacked they never would have had the time to try the FG and they were out of TOs. 17-3 would have changed the dynamic, slightly, but it would have made it a different game IMO.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had time. He would have thrown it to the end zone and left a second or two on the clock for the FG. Then he got BLINDSIDED...BOOM...hit him hard from the back FOOM FOOM, sparks were flying everywhere...Rhodes hit Vick hard, bro.

A fan who cares

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the last thing Andy Reid was thinking when he called that play was the possibility of a fumble going back for a TD. He probably thought the worst case scenario was an INT that gets tackled right away, not a fumble. If your a long standing coach you have the equity to make risky plays like that without risking your job. If the score going into the half was 17-7, the game might have been a lot closer.

Any given Sunday, any given play.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had time. He would have thrown it to the end zone and left a second or two on the clock for the FG. Then he got BLINDSIDED...BOOM...hit him hard from the back FOOM FOOM, sparks were flying everywhere...Rhodes hit Vick hard, bro.

My main issue with it was that with no time outs, you risk an off sides or a holding call and getting nothing.

I think that play just killed all aggressiveness out of the Eagle's offense. They were quite content to run the ball and not get Vick hit after that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we'd have won any way but what in the world was Reid thinking going for the TD at the close of the 1st half instead of taking the FG? Even if Vick hadn't been sacked they never would have had the time to try the FG and they were out of TOs. 17-3 would have changed the dynamic, slightly, but it would have made it a different game IMO.

They had plenty of time. Reid made the right call... He just didn't take into account a runaway train a.k.a. Kerry Rhodes!!!!! ;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vick wanted nothing doing with being hit. Man, we lit him up.

But yeah, it did kill their momentum and suck their life out. Would have been AWESOME to be in that Eagle locker room at half.

Totally reminded me of the Super Bowl, though. Ugh.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

Please tell me this was from that crazy guy on the news?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens...cost us a Super Bowl title
This is exactly the thought that went through my mind.

That said, I don't think it's the wrong play call. The only thing they couldn't do in that situation was take a sack...and they took a BIG one.

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
Also I was surprised at this

1-10-PHI 46
(12:22) 34-R.Williams right tackle to PHI 37 for 9 yards (29-N.Allen). PENALTY on ARI-35-A.Sherman, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at PHI 37.
2-16-ARI 48
(11:45) (Shotgun) 4-K.Kolb sacked at ARI 40 for -8 yards (55-D.Tapp). PENALTY on ARI-74-D.Batiste, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at ARI 48 - No Play.
2-26-ARI 38
(11:17) (Shotgun) 4-K.Kolb pass incomplete short right to 15-M.Floyd.

so on AZ 2/16, Kolb sacked for 8 yards that would make it 3/24
instead he accepts the penalty to have 2/26

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also I was surprised at this

1-10-PHI 46
(12:22) 34-R.Williams right tackle to PHI 37 for 9 yards (29-N.Allen). PENALTY on ARI-35-A.Sherman, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at PHI 37.
2-16-ARI 48
(11:45) (Shotgun) 4-K.Kolb sacked at ARI 40 for -8 yards (55-D.Tapp). PENALTY on ARI-74-D.Batiste, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at ARI 48 - No Play.
2-26-ARI 38
(11:17) (Shotgun) 4-K.Kolb pass incomplete short right to 15-M.Floyd.

so on AZ 2/16, Kolb sacked for 8 yards that would make it 3/24
instead he accepts the penalty to have 2/26

This made no sense. There was quite a bit of back and forth between officials and both coaches. Completely the wrong call by Reid.

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
The refs were terrible taking all that time
but the choices were obvious

accept the penalty 2/26
decline the penalty 3/24

either Reid did not understand them since they first announced it was 3/26 then corrected it to 2/26
it was a mess
but as an experienced coach, he should have known it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I thought it was risky on 3rd down, but not out of bounds

the instructions should have been (and I am sure they were) - take the first read, if not open, throw it away quickly

Vick held waiting for someone to come open --

I see this is a player error rather than a coaching error.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No way you just kick the field goal here. That's complete and total defeatism, and when you're down by 2 TDs and a FG, you're still in position to try for TD.

What's curious is a play call that allowed for Kerry Rhodes to have a complete unimpeded shot at the QB. That's the only questionable part of this sequence of events from the Eagles perspective.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The refs were terrible taking all that time
but the choices were obvious

accept the penalty 2/26
decline the penalty 3/24

either Reid did not understand them since they first announced it was 3/26 then corrected it to 2/26
it was a mess
but as an experienced coach, he should have known it.

Watching this in a bar with other Cards fans and we knew the refs were messing this up. Then they showed Whiz telling the REFS how to call it correctly.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I am gonna disagree with a lot of folks here. You are down 3 scores with the Cardinals getting the ball back at the half, and you have one of the best young kickers in the game in Henery. You take the points and make it a two score game every time.

IF you don't, then you call a quick dump pass to the side/corner of the endzone to maintain time to kick in case you can't score. Vick was looking for guys over the middle.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was risky on 3rd down, but not out of bounds

the instructions should have been (and I am sure they were) - take the first read, if not open, throw it away quickly

Vick held waiting for someone to come open --

I see this is a player error rather than a coaching error.

Actually, Vick didn't have time to throw. Re-watching that play, he was hit less than 2 seconds after the snap(yes I used a stopwatch).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave