Andy Isabella is being used wrong

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2020/12/18/22188502/cardinals-misfiring-on-isabella

I have my doubts about the guy but the guy writing this article has way more insight than me. I've questioned his ability yet at the same time wondered out loud if we're using him right? KJ is playing better right now & took his spot in the rotation but he's so slow. Runs a 4.6 fourty I believe? Interesting read though. I'll look forward to everyone's opinions.

That's Mitch or Walter Mitchell who posted here for ages. Walt's a good guy but he has a thing for guys from his area of the country so I would wager he's a bit biased for Andy.

Look Andy had 2 games with Fitz out and he put up 6 catches for 40 yards. If you watched those 2 games it was also obvious that without Fitz our run blocking suffered. Earlier in the year I was saying play Andy more and Fitz a bit less, I wanted more speed in the lineup, I now see why we don't, they don't trust him. Yes Kyler was late on that throw but it was still a play that could have been made or at least drawn a PI, he made no effort to get back to the ball he waited on it and tried to body catch it.

He hasn't shown anything returning kicks, and he's been a non factor covering kicks so if he's going to be active on Sundays he has to be making plays on the field, and he's not. I don't think we should cut him as someone said but it would not surprise me at all if he wasn't on the roster next year. Don't quote me but I think 2 or even 3 of his catches this year were actually jet sweeps but because we play from the gun the ball is flipped forward so it counts as a pass. yes there are times he's open and doesn't get the ball but I think by now it's obvious Kyler does NOT trust him, and there's been glimpses of why.

Sullivan has a rep as a WR guru, but I don't think he can teach Andy catch the ball with your hands not your body.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many people are under the delusion that he could be our Julian Edelman simply because Isabella is white. In actuality, Isabella's comp is a poor man's Tavon Austin, and Austin is very limited as a luxury 'X' factor on a offense. If Isabella would have been a fifth round pick, I do not think people here would give him much thought. If he did not look so out of place in relation to other players, he would also not have that Rudy effect which makes fans long for a feel good story. I think we are wasting KeeSean when we play Isabella over him, because KeeSean at least has some traits to be of use. Training a guy at the highest level to learn to catch the ball with his hands is ludicrous when a team is attempting to mold their franchise QB

Ironic because Mitch positively loved Austin, wanted us to draft him

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edelman was nothing until his 5th year in the league. He was trash. Year 2 Edelman played in 15 games and had 7 receptions for 84 yards. Year 3 he played in 13 games and only had 4 receptions for 34 yards.

Isabella has basically the same stats as Edelman after almost 2 years. Of course expectations for Edelman were a lot lower since he was drafted in round 7.

And he played QB in HS and college

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And he played QB in HS and college
He was a great PR by year 2 as well.

Not giving up on Andy. Its just tough right now.

Year 1 he looked like he didnt belong in the NFL.
Year 2 I think he belongs
Year 3 he becomes a productive player?