Andrew 'Beef' Johnston offered mental health support following withdrawal from British Masters

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The European Tour’s medical team are supporting Andrew “Beef” Johnston after the Englishman withdrew from the British Masters after just nine holes due to fears concerning his mental health. Johnston, the fan favourite, revealed this time last year that he had struggled so much with the pressures of life on Tour that he had gone back to hotel rooms and cried following competitive rounds. The 31-year-old was advised by sports psychiatrists to take time away together with fiancee Jodie and baby daughter Harley, and made notable strides on the road to recovery, returning to post two top fives in Rolex Series events in the back half of 2019. However, Johnston did not feel comfortable in the strictly controlled Covid-19 environment that greeted the pros when the Tour resumed here at Close House following a four-month hiatus and after playing his first nine holes in four-over walked into the clubhouse and withdrew. “I’ve been on-off about playing for months - I kept changing my mind,” Johnston said. “But actually being here and being confined to the hotel, confined to the course and not being able to bring my family is ultimately not what I want at this moment and not how I want to live my life. “We like to travel as a family and it’s just been very difficult to get my head around. I’ve learned now to be honest about it, whereas in the past I might have just swallowed it up. I’m not going to do that anymore. If I’m not happy, I’m not going to be here. That’s my golden rule now.”

Continue reading...