Amare's knee hurting....again

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
He sat out most of practice yesterday, but says he expects to play tonight. Not sure how good of an idea that is.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/102395

Amaré Stoudemire again felt stiffness and soreness in his troublesome knee and spent the end of the workout exercising with the trainers while his teammates pressed on.

As with Bell, Stoudemire said he expects to play tonight in the first of back-to-back meetings with the Kings — this one in Sacramento. But having to beg off another practice shows the Suns center is still day-to-day.

“Today I was a little sore but it’s normal. It’s not going to be 100 percent all the time,” he said. “I want to practice and play every day, but I’m going to be smart and cautious about the situation. I couldn’t quite get it going today, so I saw it as a day to exercise and get stronger.”

Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni was surprised to find Stoudemire struggling. “I didn’t think anything was wrong, then we started and he couldn’t quite get through it,” he said.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yeah read it at realgm.com first thing in the morning.

not surprised really.

I say sit him and get him to rest it for 2-3 weeks. Get Skinner and Marks major minutes to figure out a way to incoporate them into the rotation

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think sitting him is the answer. He will only be more sore. You have to push through the soreness to build strength. I think sitting him out a practice or two, thus giving him a day off is better so that his knee can build strength in game action.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
pushing through the soreness to build strength... I know it works if its muscle related. Its all about "tearing" more muscles so when they recover, mass, strength and durbility increases also... assuming sufficient rest is obtained after "pushing" through the soreness....

but Amare's knee problems... I dont think its muscle related. Joint, cartilidge, bone etc... you dont push through "soreness" or pain when it concerns the above parts. They don't recover like muscles do.... quiet the opposite actually... they become worst.. well broken bones, when they heal they're stronger... but Amare doesnt have snapped/fractured bones either... the word microfracture is really deceiving, since the fracture on that word isnt well representative of what actually happens.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
pushing through the soreness to build strength... I know it works if its muscle related. Its all about "tearing" more muscles so when they recover, mass, strength and durbility increases also... assuming sufficient rest is obtained after "pushing" through the soreness....

but Amare's knee problems... I dont think its muscle related. Joint, cartilidge, bone etc... you dont push through "soreness" or pain when it concerns the above parts. They don't recover like muscles do.... quiet the opposite actually... they become worst.. well broken bones, when they heal they're stronger... but Amare doesnt have snapped/fractured bones either... the word microfracture is really deceiving, since the fracture on that word isnt well representative of what actually happens.
This soreness is in his non-microfracture knee that he had the cleanup scope on before the season.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am aware its on his non-microfractured knee...

which is even more mysterious. its safe to assume he favored that knee when he played all 82 games last season.... hopefully its nothing major.

Like I said, an opportunity to test out other tactics with Marks and Skinner. Its a blessing in disguise.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Its a blessing in disguise.

How is it a blessing that the only viable option at center is continuing experience pain in his twice surgered knee?

Sounds eerily similar to talk from some Suns fans about Amare's microfracture surgery and how it was a blessing because it forced him to reevaluate some of his play and fine tune his skills and rely less on athletic ability.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
He can push through soreness to build strength at practice. He is one bowen swipe or francis backpush away from a potential season ruiner.

He already has the video game cover curse, no need to play if his knee isnt at 100%.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
I am aware its on his non-microfractured knee...

which is even more mysterious. its safe to assume he favored that knee when he played all 82 games last season.... hopefully its nothing major.

Like I said, an opportunity to test out other tactics with Marks and Skinner. Its a blessing in disguise.

I don't mean to bust your chops but I am going to ask that you validate some of your comments or maybe give a reason why you made the comments that you did.

1. If you are aware it was the non-microfractured knee then why did you even bring up microfracture in this thread? It does nothing except confuse the issue.

2. It's NOT safe to assume that this is because Amare favored the non-microfracture knee all season. In fact, I don't know if it could be further from the truth. In rehab Amare changed the way he walks, runs and generally plays the game. This is VERY well documented. You're simply adding unfounded conjecture in assuming that the problem has anything to do with microfracture surgery.

3. Amare having continued problems with his knees is anything but a blessing. It's nothing but bad news.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't mean to bust your chops but I am going to ask that you validate some of your comments or maybe give a reason why you made the comments that you did.

1. If you are aware it was the non-microfractured knee then why did you even bring up microfracture in this thread? It does nothing except confuse the issue.

2. It's NOT safe to assume that this is because Amare favored the non-microfracture knee all season. In fact, I don't know if it could be further from the truth. In rehab Amare changed the way he walks, runs and generally plays the game. This is VERY well documented. You're simply adding unfounded conjecture in assuming that the problem has anything to do with microfracture surgery.

3. Amare having continued problems with his knees is anything but a blessing. It's nothing but bad news.

we're a forum, no one are physicians, nor doctors who worked on Amare's knees..

My post was from typical logic that upon injuring a limb, most people will favour the one which didnt suffer an injury. Why?, because its more comfortable and in the mind, theirs the doubt on that particular injured limb.

Well documented??... I want to see documents and medical examination results... .. Oh you were talking about that article with quotes from the doctors... facts then... right?... doctors will not specify all the details regarding Amare's knees to the public... if he did that and he was my doctor I'd sue him. The doctor basically described the outcome that everyone can see anyways. And about the rehabiliation program that focused on optimizing motion movements during running, jumping, turning etc... basically optimizing the muscle "pull/push" on each other to prevent injuries in the long run??? Oh I've heard of it... in fact I've done research on that myself and have discussed with my gym trainers if theirs a program similar to that, that we non-millionaire athletes can afford....

I mentioned the microfracture surgery because I fear that he might need another one on this knee... not today, not tomorrow... but eventually... Amare plays in such a way that he relies a lot on fast-twitching muscles pulling and exerting forces.. and when theirs an imbalance in the muscle pull/push wear and tear tends to increase in rate... and in a basketballer's case... Knees or ankles... take your pick... And above, about the program that Amare has taken upon him to correct his muscle imbalance... in theory it works, but on actual basketball field, there are many intances where you simply have to play with instinct and not think "oh geez, should I jump with my buttox flexed as I challenge this layup"... the way he runs, walks down court with no pressure or player trying to stop him.. yes he can control it.. but on a basketball court.. if you've ever played one... I DO.. I play it everyday... not saying I'm anything special, but when you play.. you play the way your opponents allow you or how your instincts tells you.... and to properly incorporate that regime of "balancing muscles" and make it natural in your everyday motion.. it'll take years... not 1... 3 maybe... if you do it enough everyday....

I mentioned the word "microfracture"... and "blessing in disguise".. and completely blasted for nonsense... That blessing in disguise comment relates to Skinner and Marks actually getting minutes early in the season so when its time to round off the rotation in March, they can contribute better to the team's needs. Wording of "blessing" might be wrong to you guys, but resting Amare for the long haul... thats good for the playoff run also... isnt it?...

What I see here, is basically fans willing to bite of other fan's ears off when they read something that they dont agree with...

its a FORUM!!!... opinions... ironically....Why am I getting dragged into an argument with a fan of the same team that I follow.....

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow so much panic for a knee that had a scope job and never given proper time to totally heal. Its NOT MICRO... it was just a scope job geesh sit him down for a week or two if need be to let it heal. Or you can do as they are doing and letting him work back into shape and heal with a reduced role, come playoffs he will be playing heavy minutes might as well rest him now.

nowagimp

Reaction score

My post was from typical logic that upon injuring a limb, most people will favour the one which didnt suffer an injury. Why?, because its more comfortable and in the mind, theirs the doubt on that particular injured limb.

Well documented??... I want to see documents and medical examination results... .. Oh you were talking about that article with quotes from the doctors... facts then... right?... doctors will not specify all the details regarding Amare's knees to the public... if he did that and he was my doctor I'd sue him. The doctor basically described the outcome that everyone can see anyways. And about the rehabiliation program that focused on optimizing motion movements during running, jumping, turning etc... basically optimizing the muscle "pull/push" on each other to prevent injuries in the long run??? Oh I've heard of it... in fact I've done research on that myself and have discussed with my gym trainers if theirs a program similar to that, that we non-millionaire athletes can afford....

I mentioned the microfracture surgery because I fear that he might need another one on this knee... not today, not tomorrow... but eventually... Amare plays in such a way that he relies a lot on fast-twitching muscles pulling and exerting forces.. and when theirs an imbalance in the muscle pull/push wear and tear tends to increase in rate... and in a basketballer's case... Knees or ankles... take your pick... And above, about the program that Amare has taken upon him to correct his muscle imbalance... in theory it works, but on actual basketball field, there are many intances where you simply have to play with instinct and not think "oh geez, should I jump with my buttox flexed as I challenge this layup"... the way he runs, walks down court with no pressure or player trying to stop him.. yes he can control it.. but on a basketball court.. if you've ever played one... I DO.. I play it everyday... not saying I'm anything special, but when you play.. you play the way your opponents allow you or how your instincts tells you.... and to properly incorporate that regime of "balancing muscles" and make it natural in your everyday motion.. it'll take years... not 1... 3 maybe... if you do it enough everyday....

I mentioned the word "microfracture"... and "blessing in disguise".. and completely blasted for nonsense... That blessing in disguise comment relates to Skinner and Marks actually getting minutes early in the season so when its time to round off the rotation in March, they can contribute better to the team's needs. Wording of "blessing" might be wrong to you guys, but resting Amare for the long haul... thats good for the playoff run also... isnt it?...

What I see here, is basically fans willing to bite of other fan's ears off when they read something that they dont agree with...

its a FORUM!!!... opinions... ironically....Why am I getting dragged into an argument with a fan of the same team that I follow.....

Your points are well taken, but obviously not by everybody. I think your points are accurate, in game conditions your opponent can make you load an injured knee in a way that you did not want to(been there before on a meniscus tear, you dont work through it). I also would rather see amare heal from this cartiledge "disturbance". You are right its not a muscle injury and shouldnt be rehabbed as one. Additionally, weak muscles that are loaded in uncontrolled conditions(game) could lead to reinjury of the joint. A planned, more structured and cautious rehabilitation makes more sense but doesnt sell tickets I fear.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I say don't play Amare in back to backs. Rest him as much as possible.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns do not meet a serious contender for a week when the Rockets come for a visit. After that, the next serious contender is Utah on Dec 12.

Point? If sitting is a good idea (their trainers are the best in the NBA so they should decide), then this is as good a time as any.

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
I say Amare should get as much R&R early in the season as possible. Let him rehab slowly. Make the other guys come together as a unit without relying on him and have him progress by working on his knees off the court.

No reason for Amare to risk his future--knees are incredibly unpredictable when it comes to injuries. The franchise player should be given as much time as possible even if it means losing a few games here and there.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
It did seem stiff from the way he played, jumped especially, but a remarkable improvement over his last few games. I think he will be even better tonight.

I will be ecstatic if this is the final stretch of knee issues for the season.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score

The logic is fine if you ignore input from others. Aaron Nelson has been interviewed a lot about Amare's surgery. There are a number of articles out there. They mention the fact that Amare had to change the way he runs in order to avoid compensating. You can notice this for yourself if you want. Go UTUBE Amare back in his rookie year and then watch him play in a game this year. You'll notice he runs a lot different.

Wouldn't you agree that it's more logical to assume that his soreness in his knee is related to the surgery he had in October rather than the season last year? Don't tell me the damage in his knee is a result of last season because that's absolute crap. This knee has problems on its own that are unrelated to microfracture.

Then why are yo uso confused?

I mentioned the microfracture surgery because I fear that he might need another one on this knee... not today, not tomorrow... but eventually...

On which knee? The one that's hurt? Gosh, I would think in *all* those conversations that it would come up that it's more likely for Steve Nash to have microfracture surgery on his knee than for Amare to have it on his non-microfractured knee. Again, Amare has knee problems. They are nothing to do with microfracture. We will have all the time in the world to whine about microfracture in 2 years when Amare needs his knee repaired again.

Amare plays in such a way that he relies a lot on fast-twitching muscles pulling and exerting forces.. and when theirs an imbalance in the muscle pull/push wear and tear tends to increase in rate... and in a basketballer's case... Knees or ankles... take your pick... And above, about the program that Amare has taken upon him to correct his muscle imbalance... in theory it works, but on actual basketball field, there are many intances where you simply have to play with instinct and not think "oh geez, should I jump with my buttox flexed as I challenge this layup"... the way he runs, walks down court with no pressure or player trying to stop him.. yes he can control it.. but on a basketball court.. if you've ever played one... I DO.. I play it everyday... not saying I'm anything special, but when you play.. you play the way your opponents allow you or how your instincts tells you.... and to properly incorporate that regime of "balancing muscles" and make it natural in your everyday motion.. it'll take years... not 1... 3 maybe... if you do it enough everyday....

Uhh yeah ok. Sure rehab takes time but it's not as hard as you make it out to be. If you've ever taken any sport seriously you know that you can change anything if you give it enough time and focus. It's not just basketball. Any sport. From Karate to Golfing.

I blasted you because by bringing up microfracture you confuse readers. This has nothing to do with microfracture and suggesting it simply spreads baseless rumors. Nonsense. Having your superstar struggling with knee problems is not a blessing. Skinner and Marks are not going to be the winning factor in the playoffs.

Oh I'm sorry I thought you were a little bit more thick skinned. It's a forum yup. It's also a place where "guys" seem to mostly hand out and people can give others a hard time when their opinions seem off. I haven;t called you any names, I simply asked you to validate your remarks. If you think my reply was an attack you might want to cancel your ISP because I don't really think you are ready for the internetz

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
He didn't look injured to me last night.
I actually didn't think he looked great. He played well, but he still looked stiff, and there was no explosion or quickness. Brad Miller is just that bad defensively.

I'm assuming that will come as his knee gets better. Let's hope so anyway.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually didn't think he looked great. He played well, but he still looked stiff, and there was no explosion or quickness. Brad Miller is just that bad defensively.

I'm assuming that will come as his knee gets better. Let's hope so anyway.

I'll pay closer attention tonight. In any case, it seems like a lot guys look awful whenever this cripple plays them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I will be ecstatic if this is the final stretch of knee issues for the season.
It's funny how we react to each occurance with his knees as if it were the first.

If only management would be realistic and set up a Plan B now. A talented, experienced big man.

If, somehow, we don't need it (difficult to expect), it would still provide relief for Amare on the court -- reducing the chance for both injuries and fouls.

Does anyone think that Boris (in the body of a Small Forward), no matter how much better he plays when Amare is out, is the solution?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
No! dont knock on wood! He said "when" amare goes down, knocking on wood would assure that he indeed goes down permanently. If he said "if" amare goes down, THEN you knock on wood.

Pretty messed up hope imo.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson