Amare: "I've got to learn how to play all out for 48 minutes.."

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting comment from Amare. He hasn't learned that he needs to play hard for 48 minutes, and this is his what....6th year in the NBA?

I think a lot of the Amare bashing that has been going on is a bit dumb. I love Amare, and I'm not one for trading him, but this is raised my eyebrows a bit.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/1220suns1221.html

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
It was just a stupid comment by him, but something he needed to say. Hearing him say and basically acknowledge that he hasn't been makes me mad and happy. A) If he hasn't been playing his best for 48 minutes, which we all could tell, then that makes me angry. And B) If he hasn't been, that makes me happy, because we might have been seeing him giving 90 percent. Just imagine his 100 percent. Maybe compare that with his domination from a few years ago.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I agree. I hate that he had to say that, but at the same time, I'm glad he acknowledged that there is a problem, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see better efforts on both ends.

All I want for Christmas is more effort from Amare.

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Yeah. I can't wait for a bashing of the Lakers on Christmas day. Maybe, everyone on the Suns will actually do what they say, and then bring it out then. Or even tomorrow. It needs to happen soon though.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think this post is totally missing the point, and in some ways reformatting the context to reinforce this board's perception that Amare isn't playing hard.

This is the quote. "Sometimes, it's not about how you start, it's about how you finish," Stoudemire said. "I've got to learn how to play all out for 48 minutes and just go hard the whole time in there. I was in attack mode the whole time (in the fourth quarter)."

I bolded what you are focusing on. And it sounds like Amare is admiting he doesn't play hard.

I think the key to this quote is bolded.
I've got to learn how to play all out for 48 minutes and just go hard the whole time in there. I was in attack mode the whole time (in the fourth quarter)."

This says to me Amare going to be more assertive on offense and defense. I expect to see Amare take over more often and I for one say thank God. F Marion if he wants to pad his stats on easy rebounds, F Raja and Barbosa who want to jack up 50 jumpers each per game, F Mke n' Dantonis philoposhy of kick outs and threes. This team needs an assertive selfish player who can carry the team.

This team is too passive, too nice and too unselfish. This leads to a lot of tentitaive unslefish kick outs and long range jumpers for players that have no business shooting the ball so much from three. This team is in love with their spread the wealth Dantonis philososphy, jump shooters > inside scoring. The team gets all pissy when Amare becomes assertive offensively because it cuts into their precious threes and I think it's the largest barrier for him by far. Hopefully he says screw you I am the beast I need to have the ball.

If the Dantonis are ever sent packing I think the first thing a new coach worth his salt would say is, this team's offense is running through Amare PERIOD. Only a fool like Dantonis would prefer a Marion or Bell 3 to Amare and Nash on the pick and roll.

Amare is never going to be what you all want, a player that refuses to score and focuses on defense entirely. Amare is a player that needs the ball and it fuels his overall play, it's obvious. He needs to be more aggressive and needs to say hell with the 33% jump shot whinners on this team, I am gonna take it to the hole.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I would assume most agree with me, but I dont think amare gets nearly as many touches as he should. Sometimes I feel he doesnt fit this team[high passing, ball movement, quick shooting] because of how productive he can be.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Don't read into it too much, Amare is an entertaining player but when it comes to interviews, theres no better cliche quote machine.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this post is totally missing the point, and in some ways reformatting the context to reinforce this board's perception that Amare isn't playing hard.

This is the quote. "Sometimes, it's not about how you start, it's about how you finish," Stoudemire said. "I've got to learn how to play all out for 48 minutes and just go hard the whole time in there. I was in attack mode the whole time (in the fourth quarter)."

I bolded what you are focusing on. And it sounds like Amare is admiting he doesn't play hard.

I've got to learn how to play all out for 48 minutes and just go hard the whole time in there. I was in attack mode the whole time (in the fourth quarter)."

This says to me Amare going to be more assertive on offense and defense. I expect to see Amare take over more often and I for one say thank God. F Marion if he wants to pad his stats on easy rebounds, F Raja and Barbosa who want to jack up 50 jumpers each per game, F Mke n' Dantonis philoposhy of kick outs and threes. This team needs an assertive selfish player who can carry the team.

This team is too passive, too nice and too unselfish. This leads to a lot of tentitaive unslefish kick outs and long range jumpers for players that have no business shooting the ball so much from three. This team is in love with their spread the wealth Dantonis philososphy, jump shooters > inside scoring. The team gets all pissy when Amare becomes assertive offensively because it cuts into their precious threes and I think it's the largest barrier for him by far. Hopefully he says screw you I am the beast I need to have the ball.

If the Dantonis are ever sent packing I think the first thing a new coach worth his salt would say is, this team's offense is running through Amare PERIOD. Only a fool like Dantonis would prefer a Marion or Bell 3 to Amare and Nash on the pick and roll.

Amare is never going to be what you all want, a player that refuses to score and focuses on defense entirely. Amare is a player that needs the ball and it fuels his overall play, it's obvious. He needs to be more aggressive and needs to say hell with the 33% jump shot whinners on this team, I am gonna take it to the hole.

I agree. He was not stating he didn't play hard for 48 minutes. He is stating that has to learn how to keep the intensity level and focus level up for 48 minutes. IMO this applies the the entire team.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The entire team needs to play better not just Amare. Bell hasn't shot well for most of the year and Barbs is not into form yet either. They will catch their stride and we saw a glimpse of what this team could do against the raptors 136 points with starters on the bench a good portion of the 4th! This team will be very good come playoff time and maybe they pick up a backup big. If this team can stay healthy we will be their when the end of the season rolls around.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The entire team needs to play better not just Amare. Bell hasn't shot well for most of the year and Barbs is not into form yet either. They will catch their stride and we saw a glimpse of what this team could do against the raptors 136 points with starters on the bench a good portion of the 4th! This team will be very good come playoff time and maybe they pick up a backup big. If this team can stay healthy we will be their when the end of the season rolls around.

And those two continue to pump up shot after shot, bypassing Amare even when he is hot and dominating, it goes back to the Dantonis philospohy Shooting threes and long two's in volume is > inside scoring.

Some homework for the board, watch Bell and Barbosa closely, they will even bypass taking the open baseline to pump up a three, and they almost always kick it out for another three point shooter even when someone is open inside I think it is very telling.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Amare needs to learn to keep himself on the floor. Amare has been getting the ball inside lately early and not producing Diap and Duncan and Dampier all were giving him a really hard time. He needs to quit looking for fouls and dunk on those fools heads. And stop making dumb stupid fouls that put him on the bench for long periods of time. Everytime he trys to make it personal and dominate someone he doesn't play as well as he normally does. He needs to not force dumb shots and let Nash get him the ball in P&R or in good positions to score. I hate when he trys to dribble in from 15-20 feet out and score, it rarely works. He needs to get inside to get a pass or work the P&R. As far as Bell and Barbs they need to shoot to get their shots dialed in because they are important part of scoring on this team. As much as some want it we are not gonna just work the inside all game and run a conventional offense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire team needs to play better not just Amare. Bell hasn't shot well for most of the year and Barbs is not into form yet either. They will catch their stride and we saw a glimpse of what this team could do against the raptors 136 points with starters on the bench a good portion of the 4th! /QUOTE]

we saw what we can do against a team without it's All Star PF and it's rookie of the year starting C? Doesn't seem like a game I'd point to as proof of much except we did what we were supposed to do... win the game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. He was not stating he didn't play hard for 48 minutes. He is stating that has to learn how to keep the intensity level and focus level up for 48 minutes. IMO this applies the the entire team.

Agree 100%

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I friggin told all ya bastards! The dude loafs and he knows it!

IMO, intensity is something you either have or don't have and he doesn't overall. He has his spots and he's had like 17 games with 35+ points in his career to prove that he can have his bursts. But, in between those bursts, he has his many moments where he seems disinterested and unmotivated....

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

I don't disagree one bit.

Amare's effort has been questioned by people all year, especially on defense and rebounding. The "I need to play hard for 48 minutes" part of the quote gives people fuel to add to the fire. I wasn't trying to stir up anything, but I think it was a strange thing for him to say. He finished strong, but he does need to come more with that intensity consistently.

I certainly would not only fault Amare for lack of effort. It seems to be a team epidemic this year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree one bit.

Amare's effort has been questioned by people all year, especially on defense and rebounding. The "I need to play hard for 48 minutes" part of the quote gives people fuel to add to the fire. I wasn't trying to stir up anything, but I think it was a strange thing for him to say. He finished strong, but he does need to come more with that intensity consistently.

I certainly would not only fault Amare for lack of effort. It seems to be a team epidemic this year.

It only add fuel to the fire when taken out of context from people that look for opportunities to bash him. He isn't saying he isn't playing hard for 48 minutes. This entire team lacks focus sometimes out on the court and I think Amare is saying it goes for him to.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare has loafed this season. I love Amare as much as anyone but he is not always giving 100%, anyone can see that.

OP
OP
Rab

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
It only add fuel to the fire when taken out of context from people that look for opportunities to bash him. He isn't saying he isn't playing hard for 48 minutes. This entire team lacks focus sometimes out on the court and I think Amare is saying it goes for him to.
I've defended Amare a lot this year, and the only reason I chose to make this thread was because of that first quarter against Dallas. It was pretty clear to me that he wasn't putting forth effort at either end, and then after the game, he says something like this. Even in the complete context of the quote, it doesn't sound good, when he has been questioned so much this year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

This is the best Amare related post I have read yet.:thumbup:

I don't blame D'antoni quite as much as you do but I think your point is valid.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It isn't a board perception about Amare, it is a fact. Every scrub big man that Amare is supposed to be guarding kills us in the interior both with scoring and rebounding. His effort is lackidasical at best.

He frequently allows post position directly under the basket and has zero interest in fighting for rebounds. Treesquid's post about Marion's rebounding is comical. If Amare put in 1/10th of the effort Marion does on rebounding we might not be getting killed every night.

Amare is the Randy Moss of Basketball.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the best Amare related post I have read yet.:thumbup:

I don't blame D'antoni quite as much as you do but I think your point is valid.

I do blame him for most.

Raja = Good Defender
Marion = Good Defender
Hill = Good Defender

I am sorry but when 3 out of your 5 starters are considered good defenders but you still can't play a lick of defense at times??? That says it's scheme. That's says it's philosophy. That says it's coaching.

You can say all you want about Amare's lack of consistency. Sometimes he shuts down the paint and other times it's like a freeway. I personally have always said Amare needs to go back to his natural position to continue to develop. Again, that's coaching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose