Am I the only one concerned about Blakes accuracy on short passes?

Redalert

Reaction score
I like the way Blake puts us in a position to win, by not turning the ball over.
I am concerned over his accuracy on the short passes 5-15 yds. He seems to have a hard time hitting the receiver from 5-15 yds downfield.
Josh worries me, he seems lost out there.
We definately need to pick up another QB to compete for the number 2 job.
I would consider trading for A.J. Feely.
What do you think?

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
The short passes require the most precise timing. Blake has probably been throwing to so many recievers in practice he hasn't got the timing down with them yet. His career completion percentage is too good for him to have had accuracy problems all along.
Hopefully, they got the back up running back situation sorted out in this game. Now they can spend the next two weeks of practices and games focusing on reps for Blake and his primary recievers.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
We wanted less turn-overs...

And I think we can expect that from Blake. From what I have seen so far, he will throw the ball to a safe area rather than put it at risk, unlike the-one-who-shall-not-be-named.

Getting 3 points beats the heck out of an int, thats for sure. Getting 3 points when you have to get 7 to win is just failure of a different type.

His completion rates may not be much better than our ex. BUT, it is preseason so I think we can hope for some improvement as his time and work with a established receiving core continues.

It (completion %) better.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
that's what happens when you have young and inexperienced
Wr's. The season may be half over before their timing is on the
same page

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I have seen so far, he will throw the ball to a safe area rather than put it at risk, unlike the-one-who-shall-not-be-named.

Voldemort? :p

I don't know about you guys but I would rather watch a team that gets a bunch of field goals than one that doesn't score much in the first half and has to come back. Say what you will about Jake, watching him helm the Cards was like riding a roller coaster - Blake seems to be much more of a cruise control kinda guy. ;)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Some of you have obviously never seen blake play before. He could NEVER throw the in between ball. That is his problem. He has more luck throwing a bomb and he cant he do that very well right now. His accuracy will be a huge problem. Has anyone else noticed that when he misses he misses high?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
Some of you have obviously never seen blake play before. He could NEVER throw the in between ball. That is his problem. He has more luck throwing a bomb and he cant he do that very well right now. His accuracy will be a huge problem. Has anyone else noticed that when he misses he misses high?

Your right ..kinda. He has problems with the short pass, less problems with the intermediate, and very few with the long ball. However, I think it is more his height. If the o-line opens passing lanes for him he will be fine, but thats easier said than done.

That doesnt mean just to protect well. It means to open up areas in the line that Blake can see all the way down the field. I remember him having this very same issue in Cincy. I am not that concerned as his numbers usggest he doesnt make lots of mistakes, but be prepared for some 3-and-outs instead of forcing throws underneath.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Your right ..kinda. He has problems with the short pass, less problems with the intermediate, and very few with the long ball. However, I think it is more his height. If the o-line opens passing lanes for him he will be fine, but thats easier said than done.

That doesnt mean just to protect well. It means to open up areas in the line that Blake can see all the way down the field. I remember him having this very same issue in Cincy. I am not that concerned as his numbers usggest he doesnt make lots of mistakes, but be prepared for some 3-and-outs instead of forcing throws underneath.

I agree. His height is a big problem.

cardzfan

Veteran
Reaction score
We did not throw to Hodgins or Jones. Shipp and Smith did not play. Those are our 4 best short options. What about Kaspers catch, or Fosters? They have more experience the other receivers. There will be growing pains throwing to Boldin, Johnson and Gilmore. If this were a regular season game, Smith, SHipp, Hodgins and Jones would have been moving the chains.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by cardzfan
We did not throw to Hodgins or Jones. Shipp and Smith did not play. Those are our 4 best short options. What about Kaspers catch, or Fosters? They have more experience the other receivers. There will be growing pains throwing to Boldin, Johnson and Gilmore. If this were a regular season game, Smith, SHipp, Hodgins and Jones would have been moving the chains.

Have you ever seen one jeff blake game? He cant throw a ball shorter than 10 or 15 yards. It has nothing to do with the recievers and everything to do with his height.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
be prepared for some 3-and-outs instead of forcing throws underneath.
Yo0u make it sound like Scott Player wasnt named to the probowl, because we gave him TONS of oppertunities to show off his leg? :D

There is no way Blake will cause us more 3-and-outs, then the master of inconsistancy we had at QB the last (seems like forever) 6 years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen one jeff blake game? He cant throw a ball shorter than 10 or 15 yards. It has nothing to do with the recievers and everything to do with his height.

I have watched Jeff Blake! Many times in fact and you are making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Height isnt as important as you all make it sound!

Jeffs Career Comp. percentage is above 56% not superb but far from bad either! You guys kill me with your constant worrying!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
I have watched Jeff Blake! Many times in fact and you are making a mountain out of a mole hill!

Jeffs Career Comp. percentage is above 56% not superb but far from bad either! You guys kill me with your constant worrying!
lol, thank you...

(Oh no! I know Blake has had a solid career, but I just looked up his height, and he is only 6 feet tall!!! Now what are we gunna do???)

:doi: :doi: :doi:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That dump off pass to Emmit in the first game, that was short, accurate and effective.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score

AZCF:

Have you ever watched Jeff Blake play? His splits from last season with the Ravens show that he was most accurate at short range, completing 102-151, or 67.5 percent, from 1-10 yards, for 932 total yards, 6.2 ypa and 5 TDs. (By way of contrast, Jake Plummer completed 61.9 percent of his throws under 10 yards, averaging a full yard less per attempt.)

It's nonsense that Blake can't throw the short stuff. He just needs someone to catch it.

WC

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wild Card
AZCF:

Have you ever watched Jeff Blake play? His splits from last season with the Ravens show that he was most accurate at short range, completing 102-151, or 67.5 percent, from 1-10 yards, for 932 total yards, 6.2 ypa and 5 TDs. (By way of contrast, Jake Plummer completed 61.9 percent of his throws under 10 yards, averaging a full yard less per attempt.)

It's nonsense that Blake can't throw the short stuff. He just needs someone to catch it.

WC

ask anyone here who lives on the east coast and has seen many NO, Cincy, and Raven games. The guy has to scramble to complete the short stuff. Last year he didnt play all 16 games. So comapring his stats to a 16 game starter last year really doesnt say much. I have seen my fair share of blake games(actually more than i wanted to) to know that he has a problem with his accuracy inside of 10 or 15 yards. He has not impressed me at all since becoming a cardinal(and yes i know its early). The only offensive TD we have this preseason is on a trick play and yes that does concern me. I have seen about 20 blake games to answer your question, so let me ask you how many you have seen.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by artp
I just don't want him to turn the ball over like Jake. Jeff Blake will be fine.

What makes you think he will be fine? He certainly hasnt shown he will be fine.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I live about an hour from Baltimore, so I did see quite a bit of Blake last year. The Ravens, under his leadership, did far better than ANYONE thought. I am NOT a Ravens fan, so I'm not a homer on this issue. The Cardinals brought him in for 3 reasons: 1. Stability - He may not win the game for you, but he certainly WON'T lose it. He'll keep his cool & not get rattled & that will rub off on the young guys around him. 2. He has shown the ability to go vertical - It may take time for the young receivers to be in sync with him, but he LOVES the long ball. Stretch the D & then watch how much easier it is to run the ball. 3. He was the best QB AVAILABLE - He is no Favre, Bledsoe or Manning. He will NOT take us to the Super Bowl, but we could realistically get to the playoffs. If not this year, then next. He is not our QB of the future, he's a 2 -3 yr fix. He's consistent, tough & he plays to WIN - We have other areas that are more worriesome than Jeff Blake at QB - for the time being, relax & get off his back!!!! My God, we're 2-0.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
Yo0u make it sound like Scott Player wasnt named to the probowl, because we gave him TONS of oppertunities to show off his leg? :D

There is no way Blake will cause us more 3-and-outs, then the master of inconsistancy we had at QB the last (seems like forever) 6 years.

No I meant Be prepared for him to not force things so much even though the Cards may have gone 3-and-out the last 3-4-5 times...While Plummer would finally just say "F*$k it" and start slinging into coverage to make something happen,

Believe me I prefer Blake!

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
I live about an hour from Baltimore, so I did see quite a bit of Blake last year. The Ravens, under his leadership, did far better than ANYONE thought. I am NOT a Ravens fan, so I'm not a homer on this issue. The Cardinals brought him in for 3 reasons: 1. Stability - He may not win the game for you, but he certainly WON'T lose it. He'll keep his cool & not get rattled & that will rub off on the young guys around him. 2. He has shown the ability to go vertical - It may take time for the young receivers to be in sync with him, but he LOVES the long ball. Stretch the D & then watch how much easier it is to run the ball. 3. He was the best QB AVAILABLE - He is no Favre, Bledsoe or Manning. He will NOT take us to the Super Bowl, but we could realistically get to the playoffs. If not this year, then next. He is not our QB of the future, he's a 2 -3 yr fix. He's consistent, tough & he plays to WIN - We have other areas that are more worriesome than Jeff Blake at QB - for the time being, relax & get off his back!!!! My God, we're 2-0.

A couple things i would like to point out

1)Realistically make the playoffs? WOW! i dont think you should use the word realisitically.

2) We are 2-0 in PRE-SEASON! BTW like i said in another thread i dont think we beat the chargers no matter wat the score read. We were a beaten team no doubt about it. Our first team got stomped into the ground.

3) It might take a whole year for blake to get in sync with the carousell of WR's we have. The starters will be determined week by week so how can he get a flow with any of them. IMO he is only the starter this year and by this time next year we will have someone new to talk about.

BTW i believe kordell was offered a contract first and was the cardinals first choice.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H

I guess I shoul reexplain.

I am not worried at all by his height. He has obviously proven he can play. But understand this. There are times during a game that his height effects his throws. As long as he has passing lanes he is fine and a solid, pretty accurate QB.

This isnt nknew 'news'. He has always had a few problems here and there were he had probalmes seeing over the line.

Is it a big problem? No

But does it happen? Yes-sometimes.

Having said all that, let there be no mistake that I would rather have 1 Jeff Blake than 10 Jake Plummer's

Tashunca

Registered
Reaction score
Don't believe the negative propoganda about Jeff Blake. 1) Too Short? Jeff is THE SAME HEIGHT as Michael Vick. 2) Blake needs a full season to get in sync with his new receivers? Blake won SIX CONSECUTIVE GAMES in 2000 with his "new receivers" in New Orleans. Some other points: It DOES take Blake and his receivers time to get in sync with his long distance "bomb" technique. He throws them at a high trajectory so that he can get them off deep to his receivers EVEN THOUGH the defensive line is blasting through towards him. Blake also throws in a way that does NOT cause damage to his receivers. He'll throw a ball that will not expose his receivers to injury. Ask Pickens, Scott, Horn etc. What good does it do to throw a ball to one of his teamates in a way that exposes them to injury (over the middle surrounded by linebackers) and have to deal with second rate talent the rest of the game (if not for the season). There's nothing wrong with "three and out" that one "BOMB" can't recover. Blakes father was a COACH. He knows this stuff.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
ask anyone here who lives on the east coast and has seen many NO, Cincy, and Raven games. The guy has to scramble to complete the short stuff. Last year he didnt play all 16 games. So comapring his stats to a 16 game starter last year really doesnt say much. I have seen my fair share of blake games(actually more than i wanted to) to know that he has a problem with his accuracy inside of 10 or 15 yards. He has not impressed me at all since becoming a cardinal(and yes i know its early). The only offensive TD we have this preseason is on a trick play and yes that does concern me. I have seen about 20 blake games to answer your question, so let me ask you how many you have seen.
First of all, who else were we supposed to sign? I didnt see much better option out there. We signed the BEST QB available in freeagentcy. Not much more you can do...

Secondly, Since when did a reverse become a "trick" play? It is a play every team has and runs from time to time... It keeps the out side contain more honest if there is the threat of a reverse. Allowing the inside to open up more.

Blake is a proven SOLID QB in this league, we should be happy its him starting for us instead of McCown.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tashunca
Don't believe the negative propoganda about Jeff Blake. 1) Too Short? Jeff is THE SAME HEIGHT as Michael Vick. 2) Blake needs a full season to get in sync with his new receivers? Blake won SIX CONSECUTIVE GAMES in 2000 with his "new receivers" in New Orleans. Some other points: It DOES take Blake and his receivers time to get in sync with his long distance "bomb" technique. He throws them at a high trajectory so that he can get them off deep to his receivers EVEN THOUGH the defensive line is blasting through towards him. Blake also throws in a way that does NOT cause damage to his receivers. He'll throw a ball that will not expose his receivers to injury. Ask Pickens, Scott, Horn etc. What good does it do to throw a ball to one of his teamates in a way that exposes them to injury (over the middle surrounded by linebackers) and have to deal with second rate talent the rest of the game (if not for the season). There's nothing wrong with "three and out" that one "BOMB" can't recover. Blakes father was a COACH. He knows this stuff.
nice post man, you should post more...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave