Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aloha

Release Date: May 29, 2015
Studio: Columbia Pictures (Sony)
Director: Cameron Crowe
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some language including suggestive comments)
Screenwriter: Cameron Crowe
Genre: Drama, Comedy

Starring: John Krasinski, Alec Baldwin, Rachel McAdams, Bill Murray, Bradley Cooper, Danny McBride, Emma Stone

Plot Summary: A celebrated military contractor (Bradley Cooper) returns to the site of his greatest career triumphs – the US Space program in Honolulu, Hawaii – and reconnects with a long-ago love (Rachel McAdams) while unexpectedly falling for the hard-charging Air Force watchdog (Emma Stone) assigned to him. In play is a complex satellite system being launched by an enigmatic billionaire with suspicious intentions (Bill Murray).

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Aside from the really, really crappy camera work, this was a magnificent movie. Touching, well-written, and unpredictable. Great performances all around, and solid character work.

Sadly, the camera work kills any chance of a re-watch for me. I would have bought this and watched it many times otherwise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the really, really crappy camera work, this was a magnificent movie. Touching, well-written, and unpredictable. Great performances all around, and solid character work.

Sadly, the camera work kills any chance of a re-watch for me. I would have bought this and watched it many times otherwise.

You are truly a man of movie mystery. EVERYONE I know who's seen this has positively SAVAGED this movie, calling it the biggest piece of ish of the summer. And most of those people are GINORMOUS Cameron Crowe fans. Apparently, most of the critics agree with them too as it's currently sitting at a Sterling 8% on rotten tomatoes.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are truly a man of movie mystery. EVERYONE I know who's seen this has positively SAVAGED this movie, calling it the biggest piece of ish of the summer. And most of those people are GINORMOUS Cameron Crowe fans. Apparently, most of the critics agree with them too as it's currently sitting at a Sterling 8% on rotten tomatoes.

This will be a renter for me if anything

Stout

Reaction score

Well, you know what the critics can do... ;) As for Rotten Tomatoes, I used to think a lot about what it said, but it failed spectacularly with It Follows. It's become slightly fallible lately.

Your friends, on the other hand...well, I expect you to trust their advice, as I would the advice of my friends. What can I say? I have eclectic tastes. Maybe I was affected by the friend I had along. He'd just been served divorce papers (after thinking HE was going to do the serving) and got a huge pick-me-up from this one.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I want to see this one with the ol'lady. My movie tastes are a bit different than most as well..... I love movies and I watch them to be entertained.... thus, I can be entertained by a bad movie if certain parts are done well

**** writing?? yeah, but cinematography and acting was fantastic!

poor acting>? sure, but directing and special affects were superb!...

that kind of thing........ so it makes me pretty easy to please really....with the exception of those movies I have high expectations for....say,...like the recent Poltergeist

this one has Emma Stone...... Easy "A"..... booyah,...reason enough alone to give it a watch!!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I want to see this one with the ol'lady. My movie tastes are a bit different than most as well..... I love movies and I watch them to be entertained.... thus, I can be entertained by a bad movie if certain parts are done well

**** writing?? yeah, but cinematography and acting was fantastic!

poor acting>? sure, but directing and special affects were superb!...

that kind of thing........ so it makes me pretty easy to please really....with the exception of those movies I have high expectations for....say,...like the recent Poltergeist

this one has Emma Stone...... Easy "A"..... booyah,...reason enough alone to give it a watch!!

You sound just like me. I have the same thought process when it comes to movies. I haven't listen to reviews for years as I always have a different opinion then the critics say. I'll probably watch this with my wife in the theater.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked it fine. Emma Stone and BC had good chemistry and I can stare at Emma and Rachel all day so it was going to be a hit for me either way :) There were lots of laughs and I liked the militant hawiian guy and how upset he made the old people in the theater sitting next to me. (Truth hurts 'murica)

There were definitely issues, Cameron Crowe usually has a good smooth feel to his films and this one was pretty disjointed in parts, and I thought the BIG scene was really hokey, but still a good message. I thought Emma Stones character was hilarious and Rachel Mac continues to show she is not just a pretty face she has serious acting chops.

Which brings me to another thought, my own personal rankings for Cameron Crowe DIRECTED films, (sorry Fast times doesn't count, and I didn't count the documentaries either)

1. Almost Famous
2. Singles
3. Vanilla Sky
4. Jerry Mcguire
5. Say Anything
6. We bought a zoo (that movie was cornball but still really well done)
7. Aloha
8. Elizabethtown

What are yours?

And PS I agree with Stout Rotten tomatoes has totally gone off track with their "rankings" because San Andreas has a 50% and I just saw that movie with my family and it was a huge steaming pile of pre packaged/formulaic/thoughtless crap, not even worth of (its just a summer popcorn movie) excuse status. Some other RT nonsense going on now that I was looking at the site.

Home got a 49% Home was a solid kids movie and there's no way it should be arted that low
Age of Adeline got a 52% and I have yet to meet a human being he didn't say they walked out on that garbage.
Woman in Gold got 50% are you freaking kidding me that is in my top 5 films of the year so far forsure it was VERY well done.

I also dont think that It Follows, FF7 or a couple others that are in the 90% rage are even close to being that good. Dont get me started on the fast and furious series. I get that it has a huge following and kids love cars and obviously we're all very sad that PW is gone, (not sarcasm, it's very sad) but none of that changes the fact that those movies are freaking ridiculous. The only way I would ever describe them is as terrible movies with great car action. That movie has a freaking 85% and I can remember it being over 90. The nonsensical, unrealistic action in those movies gets ripped apart by critics when it shows up in ANYTHING but a FF movie but then suddenly all critics feel the need to show the kids how cool they are so they rate it in godfather territory... lol Taken 3 has a 9% on RT (which I think is about right) but it's basically the same freaking movie as FF! Except they've redone these ones 7 times! lol

Dude we jumped a car through walls, between 3 buildings and everyone is fine, but its fine cuz this car has superchargers so obviously it could happen!!!!
Oh no, I hope we dont get 7 takens....

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Almost Famous
2. Jerry McGuire
3. Singles
4. Say Anything
5. We bought a zoo
6. Vanilla Sky
7. Elizabethtown
8. Aloha (his worst yet IMO)

I should note that I liked Vanilla Sky but it should have been way better. It was poorly executed on so many levels. We bought a zoo is fluff family material but it's one of my wife and kids favorite movies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cameron Crowe offers apology for casting Emma Stone in his latest movie

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/8726695/cameron-crowe-emma-stone-cast-aloha-apology

Allison Ng, one of the major characters in Cameron Crowe's recently released Aloha, is Asian-American. Emma Stone, the actress the director chose to portray her, is not. The casting decision raised eyebrows and drew criticism from groups who said that by using Stone to play a character who explicitly states her racially mixed background throughout the movie, Crowe was whitewashing the role. Now Crowe, in a post on his own site, has offered a "heart-felt apology to all who felt this was an odd or misguided casting choice."

The director says that he was "grateful for the dialogue" the backlash provided, but also took the time to defend his decision to cast Stone as Ng. "As far back as 2007," Crowe writes, "Captain Allison Ng was written to be a super-proud one-quarter Hawaiian who was frustrated that, by all outward appearances, she looked nothing like one." Crowe, who has described Aloha as a film about Hawaii, says that her half-Chinese father was meant to symbolize "the surprising mix of cultures often prevalent" on the islands.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score

The director took the time to defend his decision to cast Stone as Ng. "Captain Allison Ng was written to be a super-proud one-quarter Hawaiian who was frustrated that, by all outward appearances, she looked nothing like one."

That is Hollywood speak for "Emma Stone is freakin hot and a sure bet to sell tickets at the box office"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Almost Famous
2. Jerry McGuire
3. Singles
4. Say Anything
5. Vanilla Sky
6. We Bought A Zoo
7. Elizabethtown

I watched the first 8 minutes of Aloha online and was completely put off by Danny McBride's Sergeant Exposition and the really confusing camera work. If those first 8 minutes set the tone for what's come, I can definitely wait till a hungover TNT Sunday morning showing.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
1. Almost Famous
2. Jerry McGuire
3. Singles
4. Say Anything
5. We bought a zoo
6. Vanilla Sky
7. Elizabethtown
8. Aloha (his worst yet IMO)

I should note that I liked Vanilla Sky but it should have been way better. It was poorly executed on so many levels. We bought a zoo is fluff family material but it's one of my wife and kids favorite movies.

I agree. I took my kids and I wanted to be a movie snob about we bought a zoo but it was really cute and touching. We all left smiling. Sometimes the system works. #Whiz :)

1. Almost Famous
2. Jerry McGuire
3. Singles
4. Say Anything
5. Vanilla Sky
6. We Bought A Zoo
7. Elizabethtown

I'm glad we all agree on Almost Famous. Such a great freaking flick.

"Hey I'm incendiary too man!"

Raise your hand if you (back then) had any idea that Zooey Dashanel was going to be as hot as she is now. :) I did not see that coming.

Last edited:

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Raise your hand if you (back then) had any idea that Zooey Deschanel was going to be as hot as she is now. :) I did not see that coming.

Toward the end of the movie when her character meets Russell Hammond, she does this hip shift thing and smiles. Smitten ever since.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's okay. I just wish she could act :)

She is a good actress. You can't pull off a character like Jess without being a good actress. You want to argue she doesn't have the range of her sister...OK.

Stout

Reaction score
She is a good actress. You can't pull off a character like Jess without being a good actress. You want to argue she doesn't have the range of her sister...OK.

I never saw Almost Famous. Everything I've ever seen her in has been this frumpy monotone crap. She has never impressed me in the least as an actress, although she's gotten cuter lately.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never saw Almost Famous. Everything I've ever seen her in has been this frumpy monotone crap. She has never impressed me in the least as an actress, although she's gotten cuter lately.

you MUST see that movie.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson