All time past-their-prime Suns team

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about all of the All Stars and hall-of-famers that have worn a Suns uniform on the wrong side of their career so I put together a quick all time past-their-prime Suns team.

Anfernee Hardaway
Vince Carter
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Shaquille O'Neal

Who would you guys put on the team? Bench?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't put Jermaine O'Neal on there. Maybe put on Dan Majerle from his 2nd stint with the team.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't put Jermaine O'Neal on there. Maybe put on Dan Majerle from his 2nd stint with the team.

J. O'Neal was quite formidable on the Pacers with Reggie Miller.

I wouldn't include encores from players who came back like Majerle. He had his best years here in Phoenix.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
J. O'Neal was quite formidable on the Pacers with Reggie Miller.

I wouldn't include encores from players who came back like Majerle. He had his best years here in Phoenix.
I was thinking that the ask was about past-their-prime players that had a good experience in Phoenix, not as a list of players that were the best previous to their time with the Suns. That would be depressing.

I thought the point was about ranking the best performances by Suns players that were past their prime.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking that the ask was about past-their-prime players that had a good experience in Phoenix, not as a list of players that were the best previous to their time with the Suns. That would be depressing.

I thought the point was about ranking the best performances by Suns players that were past their prime.

No. I was going with the depressing angle. Players we got too late.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The polished Rifle (Eric P.)
Michael Redd
Vince carter
Grant Hill

Michael Redd is a good one.

I don't know about Hill on the list. He was very good for the Suns. Not pre-injury good, but still very good.

Shaquille O'Neal and Vince Carter are locks. Jermaine O'Neal came in with such low expectations that I don't think he should count. I'd forgotten he played for the Suns at all.

Hedo Turkoglu should be on the list.

A. C. Green? Dennis Scott?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I was thinking about all of the All Stars and hall-of-famers that have worn a Suns uniform on the wrong side of their career so I put together a quick all time past-their-prime Suns team.

Anfernee Hardaway
Vince Carter
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Shaquille O'Neal

Fancying myself a bit of a Suns historian, I would say that is a pretty solid list for the first team. Some other names I would add into consideration are:

Tom Van Arsdale
T. R. Dunn
Mario Elie
Chris Morris
Dennis Scott
Joe Barry Carroll
Danny Schayes
Brian Grant
Jimmy Jackson
Jalen Rose
Michael Redd

I guess you could also make an argument for including the likes of Danny Ainge, Wayman Tisdale, and Kurt Rambis, but they were all fairly solid contributors still when they were here.

Not all HOFers or even all-stars by any stretch, but all guys with solid NBA careers that were fading by the time they got here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anfernee Hardaway
Vince Carter
Grant Hill
Jermaine O'Neal
Shaquille O'Neal

Wayman Tisdale?

Not sure if he really counts because his prime was nowhere near those other guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Redd is a good one.

I don't know about Hill on the list. He was very good for the Suns. Not pre-injury good, but still very good.

Shaquille O'Neal and Vince Carter are locks. Jermaine O'Neal came in with such low expectations that I don't think he should count. I'd forgotten he played for the Suns at all.

Hedo Turkoglu should be on the list.

A. C. Green? Dennis Scott?

Green was still really good for us his first two years with the club. Averaged 14.7 and 9 his first year and 11 and 8.5 his second, when he spent most of the first half of the season coming off the bench behind Manning.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tom Gugliotta
Tyson Chandler
Jalen Rose
Jimmy Jackson
Kurt Rambis

Raindog

Reaction score
Connie Hawkins and Larry Nance need to be on any peak/prime team.

Hawkins was still more or less in his prime - though nearing the end of it - when he came to the Suns.

But I don't see Larry Nance as being a relevant choice. We drafted him and he turned into a star here, and he played here for most of his productive early years. I don't think that fits the criteria the OP was getting at.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hawkins was still more or less in his prime - though nearing the end of it - when he came to the Suns.

But I don't see Larry Nance as being a relevant choice. We drafted him and he turned into a star here, and he played here for most of his productive early years. I don't think that fits the criteria the OP was getting at.

Gotcha. I didn't put that part together.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned Danny Manning. Dude was a parrenial all-star in his prime, we get him in a style so slick the NBA had to alter the rule book (we basically promised him big contract if he signed a lil one year deal first). Aaaaaaaand, because we're the Suns, his knee promptly exploded and he was never the same.

Raindog

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned Danny Manning. Dude was a parrenial all-star in his prime, we get him in a style so slick the NBA had to alter the rule book (we basically promised him big contract if he signed a lil one year deal first). Aaaaaaaand, because we're the Suns, his knee promptly exploded and he was never the same.

I think the idea was top players who were already damaged goods or on the downside when they were finally aquired by Phoenix... not ones who bad (Suns) luck hit after they got here. But carrying on your theme, another good example would be Tom Guggliotta - great player who had one good year here, then just like Manning, blew up his knee and was never the same again.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Those teams (1999-2000-something) teams could have been so good had Penny and Googs been healthy. Kidd, Penny, Googs, Uncle Cliffy, Rodney Rogers, very young Shawn Marion, etc.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'd put Hawkins (high up) on this list. He was still great when he came to Phoenix, but the whole NBA missed out on his prime, so in a way I think you put him at the top of this list to acknowledge how great he would have been in the NBA. I'm proud the Suns were the team that got his best NBA years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave