Album A Day #52 - Joe's Garage(Acts I, II & III)

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Artist: Frank Zappa
Album: Joe's Garage (Acts I, II & III)
Year Released: 1981
No. of Discs: 2
No. of Tracks: 18

Track List:
1. The Central Scrutinizer
2. Joe's Garage
3. Catholic Girls
4. Crew ****
5. Wet T Shirt Night
6. On The Bus
7. Why Does It Hurt When I Pee
8. Lucille Has Messed My Mind Up
9. A Token Of My Extreme
10. Stick It OUt
11. Sy Borg
12. Dong Work For Yuda
13. Keep It Greasy
14. Outside Now
15. He Used To Cut The Grass
16. Packard Goose
17. Watermelon In Easter Hay
18. A Little Green Rosetta

Not exactly background music, this album demands your attention. Joe's Garage is a one of a kind experience. A sprawling narrative concept album featuring an absurd story line intertwined with several kick ass guitar solos. It tells the story of a struggling garage band who just want to “bend the strings”, led by Joe (hence the name of the album). And over the course of this hefty 1hr 50min double-album, Joe loses his girlfriend, his band, contracts a VD, joins the Chruch of Appliantology (headed by L. Ron Hoover), has sex with a Telefunken U-47, gets thrown in jail and anally raped by inmates, gets out of jail only to discover that music has been outlawed, and finally becomes sullen and withdrawn, forced to work on an assembly line putting a dab of frosting on muffins for 14 hours a day. Poor Joe's misadventures are narrated by the utterly dispicable "Central Scrutinizer," who's responsibilities are to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet (and he uses Joe as his case in point).

As bleak and depressing as that sounds, it’s a very lighthearted album. In the way Zappa represents it, Joe becomes a martyr to all of the fabricated BS that's puked up by the government and all those censorship activists who have their heads so far up their @sses that they can't tell the difference between obscenity and socially redeemable messages. In a nutshell, that's seems to be Frank’s central message here.

A 27 page script is included in the packaging. Not just a lyric sheet, Zappa wrote out the entire CD in screenplay/script form, allowing you to follow along and catch all the plot points that are only explained in the booklet and not on the album. It’s fun to read along with the booklet as the CD is playing. I know that sounds a little bit boring in black and white, but it really enhances the enjoyment of the album.

But enough about the plot, there's also music on this CD that is truly great, like the numerous guitar solos in Act III that are just mindblowing. Such as the ones on "Watermelon In Easter Hay" or "Packard Goose." And as an added bonus, thanks to hilarious songs like "Stick It Out," you will be able to brag to all your friends that you know how to say "Stick out your hot, curly weenie" and "Magical Pig" in German.

Attachments

• zappa.jpg
    zappa.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zappa definitely is probably one of the most unsung performers of all-time....I guess he wasnt "too conventional" and that's why he was vastly underrated in my opinion....A true guitar virtuoso and one of the best song-writers ever....

My favorite is "Freak Out!".....Its astonishing that album was released in mid '66 and one would believe it to have come out over the past two decades since it's still very fresh.....

"Joe's Garage" is probably my 2nd favorite recording by him....Definitely a good selection! :thumbup: