2. King of the Night Time World
3. God of Thunder
4. Great Expectations
5. Flaming Youth
6. Sweet Pain
7. Shout It Out Loud
8. Beth
9. Do You Love Me?

So the Album-a-day rules don't make a point about whether you really have to like an album to post about it. KISS? I can take it or leave it. I wanted to bring this up because I was a young tyke when this band took the nation by storm.

I think I first heard this album when a friend's older teenage brother had it on 8-track. It was a phenomenon because the big deal was that none of the band members were ever photographed without their makeup for a period of time.

Gene Simmons had a reputation for spitting blood, Peter Criss was "the cat", Simmons had a bass that was shaped like a battle axe. All kinds of urban legends about the band that their name stood for "Knights in the Service of Satan". Every Halloween kids had to get their KISS makeup - just for a band whose music, IMO was average at best.

TIA - Thanks KLL for letting me rant about music - Ryan you are up next!

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That was the album that turned me into a hard core rocker. I played it until I had to buy a replacement.

Kiss was an industry altering band during their era much like Mettalica changed things when they hit the scene. Their wild antics and makeup made parents across the country cringe. It was great! LOL!

Anyway, Kiss is one of my all time favorite bands and Destroyer was one of their best.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I remember being 12 years old and the only music I really heard was Top 40 radio. In the fall of '76, KISS appeared on TV on "The Paul Lynde Halloween Special" and played "Detroit Rock City" (they played "Beth" later in the show, but I didn't care for that one much). Seeing the make-up and the costumes, the fire, etc., and the SOUND!!! I had never seen anything like it before and I was hooked.

I never listened to Top 40 radio again.

I took my paper route money and ran out and bought KISS ALIVE and Destroyer, begged my parents to let me take guitar lessons, and decided that this (play music) was something I needed to learn how to do.

I sucked as a guitar player, but I could always sing, so when my friends and I decided we could form a band (freshman year of H.S. in 1977-78 ), I became the singer.

8 years later we broke up, as some decided to "get real" and go to college or just stop living the R'n'R lifestyle because while we were successful gigging around CT and MA, we kinda knew we weren't really going to "make it big" in Hartford, CT and the commitment to move to NYC or LA and do whatever it takes to make it just wasn't there. I cut my hair, went to college, and now waste my days posting on the ASFN board! :thumbup:

But this album was certainly a big part of the start of my lifelong love of music. Good choice, jw7!!!

(apologies for rambling while I was waxing nostalgic here! LOL!)

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have never liked KISS. There is not a song they do I like although for some strange reason I had the song Beth in my head the other day even though I hadn't heard it.

KISS is vastly over-rated.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my alltime favorite albums.

God of Thunder was a very powerful song when it came out and created alot of controversy. it's is an awesome soneg - great bass.

Do you love Me is a great drunken singing along song with a great beginning beat.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
My cousin bought me this album when I was five. It was my first record. I later met Gene and Paul through a magazine contest during the Crazy Nights tour. Really cool guys, but totally business-like.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson