After the game, locker room talk. 9/18/22

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't actually think our CBs have been bad. At least at the top end covering primarily WRs. The run game and Kelce has been the issue.

Murphy, for all the **** I've given him, has been great.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That’s actually pretty damn impressive… especially when you consider what that trio did the week before again San Diego which everybody and their mother would say is a much better defense. I will say that # 10 Mack Holllins was getting on my nerves.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Collins has been solid but unspectacular so far. But have to remember it's still early and he hasn't played a lot of NFL snaps. Good to see him in every snap. He can only get better.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We owe a lot to the refs

We got some close calls, especially the holding call in the endzone

Didn't look like much to me compared to the rest of the game, but we got a break

We would never get these kind of calls in the past
Yeah, after rewatching the 4th, there was 2 defensive holding calls that should not have been called.

Quite frankly it almost looked like the refs were helping us cover.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Collins has been solid but unspectacular do far. But have to remember it's still early and he hasn't played a lot of NGL snaps. Good to see him in every snap. He can only get better.

Yessir… ya get better by playing.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
No, its within being up 7 or down 7. Says at the bottom.
That's cool. I still see it as a positive. Running the ball sets up the passing game and, more importantly, helps them balance out the time of possession to protect the defense. I think the offense getting going and staying on the field helped the defense in the second half yesterday more than anything else.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's cool. I still see it as a positive. Running the ball sets up the passing game and, more importantly, helps them balance out the time of possession to protect the defense. I think the offense getting going and staying on the field helped the defense in the second half yesterday more than anything else.

Sure, but not to that extent. 44% is very low. 55% is around the league average.

Last year, when we were actually good on offense through week 1-13, our neutral situation pass/run split was 56/44. That's exactly where it should be.

44% is stupid low unless you have like Derrick Henry or JT at running back. Certainly not when your RB1 is averaging 3.0 yards per carry.

We were awful yesterday when rushing it 66% of the time. In the 2nd half that flipped and the offense was much better.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Sure, but not to that extent. 44% is very low. 55% is around the league average.

Last year, when we were actually good on offense through week 1-13, our neutral situation pass/run split was 56/44. That's exactly where it should be.

44% is stupid low unless you have like Derrick Henry or JT at running back. Certainly not when your RB1 is averaging 3.0 yards per carry.

We were awful yesterday when rushing it 66% of the time. In the 2nd half that flipped and the offense was much better.
How many plays did we run in the first 3 quarters when the score was within 7?

Is this just an issue of a small sample size?

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score

I've looked and we've run 9 such plays.

Vs Chiefs:

1. Kyler run (Counts as run)
2. Kyler scramble (Counts as run)
3. Sack (Counts as pass)

Vs Raiders:

1. Kyler Pass (Counts as pass)
2. Conner Run (Counts as run)
3. Conner Run (Counts as run)
4. Eno Run (Counts as run)
5. Sack (Counts as pass)
6. Kyler Pass (Counts as pass)

So overall we qualify for 5 runs and 4 passes in these 9 plays. Two of the runs were by Kyler. So 6 of the 9 neutral plays involved our big $$ player.

The 44% stat is a big nothing burger at this point.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
to me, the single biggest factor in the performance of the offense: when Kyler is protected, it works. When he isnt, it is ugly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It probably is a small sample size, but considering how poor we have been on offense to start games it's still significant.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, after rewatching the 4th, there was 2 defensive holding calls that should not have been called.

Quite frankly it almost looked like the refs were helping us cover.
Come on though. What about the late hit early that wasn’t called on Connor. That’s 15 yards and a first down and inside FG range or close. The pass interference on us with the ball 7 yards over the wr head. We have been screwed so many times in the past that us getting a break should be just warranted.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here’s what I saw. In the second half we started calling plays that allowed Kyler to get the ball out quickly. The Raiders defense went into “ safe” mode. The other thing is we started to move the receivers across the field ever so slightly.
I also think the defense played closer to the LOS in the second half. There were less 12 yard cushions.
It’s great we won but everyone knows when you play 1 1/2 quarters of good football you will lose 80% of the time.
Let’s enjoy this one and hope it was the final “ wake up call”.
So funny that people think Kliff is calling early deep shot plays when in the preseason that was all Kyler called as the play caller. Kliff calls a quick, timing based route tree, the QB chooses to het rid of the hall or hold it and take a shot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think Collins has been solid but unspectacular so far. But have to remember it's still early and he hasn't played a lot of NFL snaps. Good to see him in every snap. He can only get better.

Getting him snaps is what is important. The results are the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose