Actresses Felicity Huffman & Lori Loughlin among charged in $25M college scam

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Covert Rain, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

In what amounts to a duh in terms of the rich and privileged greasing wheels to get their kids into elite schools...these two actresses were caught participating allegedly to get their kids in.

This is not a shocker by any stretch. I think just about everyone knew since..forever this takes place. We have a President who benefited to get into Wharton.

Is this really that big of a deal? I mean, this really is just confirmation of what we all knew already right?

P.S. It appears that the kids had no idea their parents were doing this.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

2. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

This is a big deal here -- Lori Loughlin is a major star for our network.

3. Covert Rain

Do you really think she is going to get more than a slap? I mean, unless they were running the fraud ring I doubt there is any real legal jeopardy after their high priced attorneys get into this.

I guess the bigger question is what the networks will think? Yes, she tried to buy her kid into the best education. The question is how will that play out in terms of all the types of crimes high profile elites commit?

Is this bigger than doing drugs? Driving with a DUI? I say no but I am not the network.

4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

We're in a very specific niche. Hallmark Channel is very family-oriented, and anything involving arrested actors, regardless of what they are arrested for, can be a big deal. And the fact that she is a big part of our biggest show is huge deal.

5. devilalum

devilalum Heavily Redacted

Not exactly.

She donated money to a fake charity that was used by the fake charity to buy entrance to an elite school. Then she deducted the "charitable contribution" from he income tax.

6. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Yes it is bigger.

"This case is about the widening corruption of elite college admissions through the steady application of wealth combined with fraud," Lelling said. "There can be no separate college admission system for the wealthy, and I'll add that there will not be a separate criminal justice system either."
    He added, "For every student admitted through fraud, an honest genuinely talented student was rejected."

Southpaw likes this.
  7. Covert Rain

What I am saying this isn't new stuff. This has been happening forever. Elite's have been buying their way into these institutions using bribes, "donations" to these schools etc. for decades. We all knew it. I think what makes this bigger than it is will be today's social media and media coverage.

I am NOT defending the practice or the ramifications. Just pointing out that this is not new territory. The fact that a couple celebrities and probably some well known 1% type folks will be named is why this is a "big deal".

I can see from what Chap says why it would impact her work there because of the work she does on family oriented shows. Makes sense that she probably jeopardized her future on any further involvement there.

Does this mean major crackdown at elite Universities entrance practices? To me that is probably the bigger deal here.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/actresses...ting-scam-142252158--abc-news-topstories.html

9. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

is this really a politics issue?

Southpaw likes this.
  10. Rivercard

Well, murder has been around since the dawn of time too so I'm not sure why this crime not being "new territory" makes it a lesser thing. But I do agree that if this actually leads to an overhaul of University entrance practices then it becomes a bigger deal.

11. Rivercard

I think so. If fact I was wondering why the other thread was in the Entertainment forum. The story really isn't about actresses.

12. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

13. Rivercard

For every elite snowflake who's parents cheat their way in, a deserving child is denied the opportunity.

14. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

No wonder UCLA sucks at football and basketball now, they've been accepting fake athletic transcripts (-:

"well he looked really good in the video his family sent us but I have to admit I thought his body looked an awful lot like Michael Jordan, and I was confused that he made that shot against a guy who looked exactly like Craig Ehlo." then UCLA coach Steve Alford.

15. Covert Rain

Because socially, in the grand scheme of things l, the elite greasing the wheel has been a societal norm. Murder never has been.

Not making the argument it should be. I don’t think it’s fair to kids who work their butts off.