Abraham leaves team

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Exactly... with HB coming back and the rest of our secondary, Bowles can sort out the coverage... but having AW to blitz and get after the QB could still be very effective IMHO

It's worth remembering that back in the day when Wilson was an effective blitzer, it was as a fifth or sixth pass rusher, only occasionally, and only when the offense was least expecting it.

As an OLB, Wilson would be expected to spend the majority of his time fighting off offensive tackles who are 10 years younger than him, 70+ lbs heavier than him, and just as laterally quick.

And Wilson relied purely on speed and surprise as a blitzer. Realistically, Michael Sam would have more success as a down-by-down OLB than Wilson would.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
It's worth remembering that back in the day when Wilson was an effective blitzer, it was as a fifth or sixth pass rusher, only occasionally, and only when the offense was least expecting it.

As an OLB, Wilson would be expected to spend the majority of his time fighting off offensive tackles who are 10 years younger than him, 70+ lbs heavier than him, and just as laterally quick.

And Wilson relied purely on speed and surprise as a blitzer. Realistically, Michael Sam would have more success as a down-by-down OLB than Wilson would.

You may be right... but I am not fan of the Michael Sam media circus... we have enough distractions already with the injuries and Fitz family tweets

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may be right... but I am not fan of the Michael Sam media circus... we have enough distractions already with the injuries and Fitz family tweets

has there really been much of a media circus around Sam in the last couple months? maybe one instance with ESPN's extreme idiocy on their "shower story", but that got knocked down by pretty much everyone, other media and teammates included.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The cynical side of me is wondering... if Abraham retires now after being on the roster for game 1, will he get paid for the whole season?

On one hand we hear he's never had a concussion before and he never contemplated retiring during the offseason. Then he skips most of camp and the preseason, shows up for game 1, then decides to retire? Now for the first time, we're hearing that he's had memory problems for a year or more (which would be a convenient narrative for defending his DUI) and his heart isn't in it any more? Hmmm....

...dbs

He wanted to tell the team, but forgot.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I was gonna make a 9/11 joke about never forgetting, but I thought it'd be insensitive.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
hmmmm...

@mikejurecki
Hearing Abraham is considering coming back, needs to take care of a few things before he returns. RT @gocards927 What is your hunch Abraham?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/09/15/keim-still-waiting-on-abraham-decision/

The Cardinals do not yet know if linebacker John Abraham will retire or not. General Manager Steve Keim, Monday on his weekly appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show, said the team is still giving the veteran his space and that the team expects Abraham’s decision “in the next 24 hours.” Certainly there remains a chance Abraham could end up playing against the 49ers. “That’s a tough question,” Keim said. We know Bruce Arians (half-)joked yesterday he was hoping someone — someone being Abraham — came out of retirement to help the pass rush. The funny thing is, if Abraham does return, there is no guarantee he’ll produce. But the Cardinals want to be able to find out.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“When you get to that age, and for whatever reason, if that game and that atmosphere on ‘Monday Night Football’ didn’t have you flying around or more, something is missing,” Arians said, via the team’s website. “That’s basically what he reflected to me. ‘There were times in that game I wasn’t in it, and that’s not fair to my teammates. I have to decide if this is something I really want to do.'”

All the more baffling that BASK didn't address the linebacking position in the draft or even gave it a cursory look until D-Wash's suspension.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that OLB was a more pressing need. At ILB we had DW and KM, not too shabby, at the time of the Draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm sure that OLB was a more pressing need. At ILB we had DW and KM, not too shabby, at the time of the Draft.

Kevin Minter had 1 defensive snap his rookie season. Hard to drop him in the "not too shabby" category when he couldn't oust Jasper Brinkley for PT.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be shocked if he came back. As I've said before I've got a mutual friend with John and I was told specifically that John was completely out of it after the concussion and didn't recognize people in the locker room. I was told he was done. But he was also scared put of his mind and may have backed off after a weeks time. If he doesn't come back we need to make a trade, period. Juron Brown and a draft pick should be on the table for the right guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be shocked if he came back. As I've said before I've got a mutual friend with John and I was told specifically that John was completely out of it after the concussion and didn't recognize people in the locker room. I was told he was done. But he was also scared put of his mind and may have backed off after a weeks time. If he doesn't come back we need to make a trade, period. Juron Brown and a draft pick should be on the table for the right guy.

the friend of a friend source failed again thank god.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's back.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm fine with being wrong. The info I had was from Tuesday after the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson