Aaron Nesmith

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of a sleeper pick in that Aaron Nesmith hasn't received much attention thus far.

Nesmith is a sophomore small forward (shooting guard candidate) from Vanderbilt. He stands 6' 6", weighs 213 pounds and is 20.51 years old.

In 14 games this past season (foot injury) Nesmith averaged 23 points and 4.9 rebounds. He shot .512 from the field and .522 from three point range.

Here is how NBA Draft Room describes him:

A three point marksman and standout defender who is having a breakout sophomore season. Can get really hot from downtown and projects as a floor spacing 3&D player.

Does a good job of moving without the basketball and using screens to find space. Has a quick trigger and is an excellent catch and shoot player.

He's not the most natural creator and doesn't project as a primary initiator at the next
level. Has a solid frame and can finish through contact but isn't the most explosive above the rim player.

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/aaron-nesmith.html

Tankathon has him ranked #18 in their mock, NBA Draft Room #22 and NBADraft.Net #25.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some scouting video on Aaron Nesmith.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can see this guy fitting what Monty wants to do with ball movement. At this point, it would be another filler off the bench guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if Monty wants another shooter/defender coming off the bench, Aaron would fill this role. It's hard to see him going at #10 or #11 though.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
The experts seem to like him a bit more than the draft sites. The Athletic has him ranked #15, CBSsports #16, and ESPN #17.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth, but when I watched his film for the first time I was like, "Dang this kid shoots like Kobe." I mean that literally. There's just something in his shot that is so Kobe like. Not sure how to dissect it. Then I noticed that he wears 24. Then I Googled "Aaron Nesmith shoots like Kobe"; this popped up from CBS:

"I'm definitely not going to change my number as long as I can. I'm going to always keep 24 no matter where I go or where I play. It means so much more now, obviously. I'm not a big sneaker guy but my favorite shoe to wear are Kobe 10s. They're the most comfortable shoe in my opinion, and when you play you want to be comfortable. They're light. I like wearing low-tops and they have a lot of cool designs on them. It's my type of shoe. I have multiple pairs. It was pretty much the only shoe I wore for all of last year and was the only shoe I wore in high school when I could. I beat my Kobe 10s into the ground."

I'm guessing this kid watched everything he could on Kobe and is trying to emulate him. That doesn't mean he'll be Kobe like, but I admire a kid who tries to be like the best (Like Kobe did with MJ).

Seriously though, Aaron is listed at 6-6, 210, near exact measurements of Kobe.

Outside of shot form he doesn't have near the athleticism as Kobe, but he loves to finish around the basket with flash like Kobe did. He paid attention.

Here's a good game of his against Okoro (Okoro has a killer dunk at the 5:50 mark.) Aaron heats up at about the 7:50 mark.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JerkFace

Reaction score
I don’t mind Nesmith the player but I don’t like the fact that he was on a losing team. Vanderbilt went 11-21 this past season (3-15 in conference). I think it is important for the Suns to bring in players who have won in the past and understand what it takes to build a winning culture. This is especially prevalent if we end up reaching for a player. I would prefer not to reach at all, but if we do, I want to reach for a winner.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I don’t mind Nesmith the player but I don’t like the fact that he was on a losing team. Vanderbilt went 11-21 this past season (3-15 in conference). I think it is important for the Suns to bring in players who have won in the past and understand what it takes to build a winning culture. This is especially prevalent if we end up reaching for a player. I would prefer not to reach at all, but if we do, I want to reach for a winner.
I agree. Watching Vanderbilt "play" basketball was awful to watch. In the game I posted above they would often give up on plays, especially on D. They wouldn't commit to rotating all the way through the shot clock. Aaron was guilty a number of times of going through the motions on D. That's never good. (Jerry Stackhouse is the HC).

However, a player as young as he is may not be completely ruined by it and can learn the hard way in a winning program. For his sake I hope one drafts him to flush out that losing mentality. As for us drafting him, while I think Monty is a winning coach, we are far from a winning franchise.

JerkFace

Reaction score
I agree. Watching Vanderbilt "play" basketball was awful to watch. In the game I posted above they would often give up on plays, especially on D. They wouldn't commit to rotating all the way through the shot clock. Aaron was guilty a number of times of going through the motions on D. That's never good. (Jerry Stackhouse is the HC).

However, a player as young as he is may not be completely ruined by it and can learn the hard way in a winning program. For his sake I hope one drafts him to flush out that losing mentality. As for us drafting him, while I think Monty is a winning coach, we are far from a winning franchise.
I agree with flushing out of the losing mentality, and if he was a top talent in this draft then I would be all for it. Haliburton also comes from a losing program with Iowa St and I would draft him in a second. For me though, Nesmith just doesn't have enough positives for me to disregard the negatives.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Intriguing prospect if we had a pick in the 20s. Major reach at 10, more so than even the likes of Nnaji and Reed.

As for winning versus losing programs, we drafted Warren, Ennis, Chriss, Ulis, Jackson, Ayton, Bridges, Cam Johnson and Ty Jerome from winning programs, and look how much good that has done us...

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
They need good NBA veterans who have won not college players

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Seems okay, but wouldn't he just be redundant with Cam Johnson?

We have other needs to fill, most pressing, someone who can play PF.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems okay, but wouldn't he just be redundant with Cam Johnson?

We have other needs to fill, most pressing, someone who can play PF.

I feel much the same way but as we saw in the last draft, how much does James Jones value shooting?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2020 NBA Draft: Aaron Nesmith might be the best shooter in this year's class
*Nesmith is one of the best shooters available in this draft. Though he only played 14 games this past season, his 52.2 three-point percentage on 8.2 attempts per game is extremely impressive. According to Basketball Reference, he is the only player to make that high of a percentage on eight or more attempts per game since at least 1992-93. Nesmith also had four games where he hit seven threes or more.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-nba-draft-aaron-nesmith-152152404.html

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel much the same way but as we saw in the last draft, how much does James Jones value shooting?

yeah, and with his comment they are looking for more shooting I could see this guy being the pick.

From the little I have looked at guys likely to be available around 10 this guy looks as good as any of them.

If they do pick him I would expect Oubre to be traded for a PF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, and with his comment they are looking for more shooting I could see this guy being the pick.

If they do pick him I would expect Oubre to be traded for a PF.

I'm hoping the Suns find a starter at PF in free agency but it remains to be seen how James Jones views the situation. Also who is available in trade will play a role.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Nesmith seems like the exact player Jones is looking for as we saw when he tried to tried for kennard, of course that means that the only thing wed accomplish in this draft is getting a little better bench which doesn't move the needle much

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns find a starter at PF in free agency but it remains to be seen how James Jones views the situation. Also who is available in trade will play a role.

I am pretty sure Aaron Gordon was offered for Oubre at the deadline.

If we draft this guy, I would expect we would go ahead and do some variation of that deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure Aaron Gordon was offered for Oubre at the deadline.

If we draft this guy, I would expect we would go ahead and do some variation of that deal.

IMO, Oubre and a first round pick is giving up too much for Aaron Gordon.

I'm still hoping to keep Oubre and add a player like Jerami Grant in free agency. Also use that first round pick to add depth.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The ultimate question I have about Nesmith is how is his athleticism. He needs to be much more athletic than Cam Johnson (who happens to be his player comp), or he will likely be relegated to Cam Johnson's fate...though at least it appears he doesn't have the hitch in his shooting form that Cam Johnson has (where he brings the ball at or below his waist to start his shooting motion).

Still, we need a power forward (two, actually) more than anything...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave