Aaron Donald signs extension, making him the highest-paid defender in NFL history

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next season they have $9million in space and a lot of key free agents. Can't have 5 players take up half you cap when you need 53 players.

30 of theor top 51 salaries are under $1.5 million this year. Several of those are starters, including both of their top RBs. They can't sustain this for long with so few draft picks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you want to get it done...... IT GETS DONE.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's not a "myth", there are just ways to move money around and if you have the money to give a bonus NOW, you can spread that out over the life of the contract or make it an extension that terminates easily so the cap hits can keep going after a player is gone.

This is where the NFL is going. The billionaire owners can do this while the millionaire owners will be limited.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not a "myth", there are just ways to move money around and if you have the money to give a bonus NOW, you can spread that out over the life of the contract or make it an extension that terminates easily so the cap hits can keep going after a player is gone.

This is where the NFL is going. The billionaire owners can do this while the millionaire owners will be limited.
All the owners can do it. Some just choose not to.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Next season they have $9million in space and a lot of key free agents. Can't have 5 players take up half you cap when you need 53 players.

30 of theor top 51 salaries are under $1.5 million this year. Several of those are starters, including both of their top RBs. They can't sustain this for long with so few draft picks.
They’ve been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1. Who cares about cap space in the future. Which, btw, will increase a ton.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They’ve been to 2 Super Bowls and won 1. Who cares about cap space in the future. Which, btw, will increase a ton.

They can't sustain this for much longer. They can't pay everyone and don't have the picks to replace the cheap starters and skilled players. My comment had nothing to do about the past. After this year, Overthecap has them at $9million under the cap with that big jump you mentioned and a ton of players to pay. They have a 2, 3, couple of 6s and a 7 in the next draft.

Reaction score
They can't sustain this for much longer. They can't pay everyone and don't have the picks to replace the cheap starters and skilled players. My comment had nothing to do about the past. After this year, Overthecap has them at $9million under the cap with that big jump you mentioned and a ton of players to pay. They have a 2, 3, couple of 6s and a 7 in the next draft.

I know they are working on a deal for Kupp. He could break the bank if he wanted but he has said he wants a deal that makes sense for both sides. Sounds like he's going to give a home discount.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know they are working on a deal for Kupp. He could break the bank if he wanted but he has said he wants a deal that makes sense for both sides. Sounds like he's going to give a home discount.
He has a cap hit of $18.5 million this season and next, which is already higher than Hopkins. If it's anything more than that, he's not helping.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have been saying this for 5 years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

. . . he said while gazing longingly at their super bowl trophy and looking forward to watching them take the NFC West for the fourth time in six seasons . . .

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
People have been saying this for 5 years.
ive been one of them

the math says it will force them to make tough choices in the future, but the Saints have right blown through what i thought would be a serious salary cap reckoning somehow

at the end of the day -- if you win a SB or two, but then have to spend the next two offseasons gutting your roster and posting a couple 5 win seasons: isnt it worth it?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All the owners can do it. Some just choose not to.

There's an obvious difference between Stan Kroenke who has a £10bn+ net worth (excluding the value of the Rams) and Mike Bidwill who has no businesses outside the Cardinals and has a net worth of about $1.4b (All of which is via Cards earnings).

With the escrow rules and signing bonuses needed to manage the cap the teams that have access to more cash can do this more readily.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. . . he said while gazing longingly at their super bowl trophy and looking forward to watching them take the NFC West for the fourth time in six seasons . . .
I'm not criticizing their past and wish the Cardinals would do the same. Where did I elude to that? I'm saying that the run is going to end here soon. This, in my opinion, could be the last year they keep the core together.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ive been one of them

the math says it will force them to make tough choices in the future, but the Saints have right blown through what i thought would be a serious salary cap reckoning somehow

at the end of the day -- if you win a SB or two, but then have to spend the next two offseasons gutting your roster and posting a couple 5 win seasons: isnt it worth it?

What if you do it, don't win anything and then have years of cap hell and garbage teams?

The mad spending got them over the line, but only once they got Stafford and because they already had McVay who is probably the best offensive coach in the league.

Without them they could spend all they want and never win it. You have to be sure you have the HC and QB before you push all those chips in. Are we all sure we have them?

Plus, how many "All in" teams like the Rams have won the SB?

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if you do it, don't win anything and then have years of cap hell and garbage teams?

The mad spending got them over the line, but only once they got Stafford and because they already had McVay who is probably the best offensive coach in the league.

Without them they could spend all they want and never win it. You have to be sure you have the HC and QB before you push all those chips in. Are we all sure we have them?

Plus, how many "All in" teams like the Rams have won the SB?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this is the fate i figured for the Saints, but they have doubled down-- we will see what they do if they go 7-10 or something this year

its kinda what happened to the Falcons

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson