A way-too-early comparison to the 2010 squad...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
True. But again, that’s why I said apex Ayton. I believe Ayton will grow into an even more substantial defender. He’s more athletic than Duncan with similar size. If his peak exceeds Duncan’s (as a defender only - I doubt we’ll ever see the full game Duncan had from Ayton) it would be a true clash of Titans
Still kind of crazy to think that Ayton is probably a good 4-6 years from his peak right now. Even Booker is just starting to enter his prime at this point.

Hopefully we can keep these guys together for a long time.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True. But again, that’s why I said apex Ayton. I believe Ayton will grow into an even more substantial defender. He’s more athletic than Duncan with similar size. If his peak exceeds Duncan’s (as a defender only - I doubt we’ll ever see the full game Duncan had from Ayton) it would be a true clash of Titans

Duncan is one of the greatest defensive players of all time. For Ayton to exceed him, he'd be approaching THE greatest defensive player of all time. You think apex Ayton could be that good?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duncan is one of the greatest defensive players of all time. For Ayton to exceed him, he'd be approaching THE greatest defensive player of all time. You think apex Ayton could be that good?

Duncan was a great low post defender and much better than most bigs defending the pick and roll but I wonder if he'd be as effective in today's game having to guard in space so much more often? Regardless, if Ayton, defensively, can become similarly effective in today's game as Duncan was in his prime, I think we'd all be pretty thrilled.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Duncan was a great low post defender and much better than most bigs defending the pick and roll but I wonder if he'd be as effective in today's game having to guard in space so much more often? Regardless, if Ayton, defensively, can become similarly effective in today's game as Duncan was in his prime, I think we'd all be pretty thrilled.

That's a worthy question, but my guess is he'd do just fine. I think we tend to forget how great a defensive player Duncan was. Just want to leave this here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...e-greatest-nba-defenders-of-all-time.amp.html

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a worthy question, but my guess is he'd do just fine. I think we tend to forget how great a defensive player Duncan was. Just want to leave this here.

Oh, I'm sure he would. I'm just not sure he'd be "as effective" as he had been. I could be wrong but I raise that question because I remember some of the issues he had playing international ball (FIBA and Olympics).

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure he would. I'm just not sure he'd be "as effective" as he had been. I could be wrong but I raise that question because I remember some of the issues he had playing international ball (FIBA and Olympics).

I wasn't aware of those struggles. Good point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I got carried away

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave