A very unoriginal “what if” from the past...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
What if the Suns stick it out with their original 07-08’ roster and don’t make a major move?

They traded for Shaq on Feb-6th and were 34-14 at the time. They finished 21-13 and lost to the Spurs in 5 games with some bad luck.

Do they win the West despite Marion ticking off teammates and coaches?

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Amare
-
LB
Giricek
Diaw

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the Suns stick it out with their original 07-08’ roster and don’t make a major move?

They traded for Shaq on Feb-6th and were 34-14 at the time. They finished 21-13 and lost to the Spurs in 5 games with some bad luck.

Do they win the West despite Marion ticking off teammates and coaches?

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Amare
-
LB
Giricek
Diaw

I don't think so. Does anyone remember that season clearly because I do. We were FEASTING on bad teams and losing to almost every good team we played. That record was pretty, but the reality of that team in the playoffs wouldn't have been.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That team was getting brutalized by any team with an inside presence. With the addition of Hill, they would have been perfectly set up to play any style had they just bit the bullet and paid KT. That was the off-season they literally gave him and two first round picks away and it disabled us to play multiple styles, small against small teams or add some beef with KT for the Spurs/Lakers of the world.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That team was getting brutalized by any team with an inside presence. With the addition of Hill, they would have been perfectly set up to play any style had they just bit the bullet and paid KT. That was the off-season they literally gave him and two first round picks away and it disabled us to play multiple styles, small against small teams or add some beef with KT for the Spurs/Lakers of the world.

The first two matchups vs the Lakers that year (pre-Gasol) were losses and we had no answer for Bynum. He took the next step that season. Once they traded for Pau we really would’ve had no chance but if you remember Bynum got hurt later in the year and missed the playoffs.

Worse yet KT was bought out and picked up by the Spurs who ended up beating us in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first two matchups vs the Lakers that year (pre-Gasol) were losses and we had no answer for Bynum. He took the next step that season. Once they traded for Pau we really would’ve had no chance but if you remember Bynum got hurt later in the year and missed the playoffs.

Worse yet KT was bought out and picked up by the Spurs who ended up beating us in the playoffs.

I do remember Bynum got hurt, but I still think our team as constructed wouldn't have gotten past that Lakers team once they got Pau.

And yes... I remember KT being on the Spurs in that series like it was yesterday.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope never beat the Spurs. Pop would abuse D’Antoni and as great as Nash was Bowen and Parker would clown him